Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Trek Actors At The Oscars
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Retro Review: The Changing Face of Evil
By: Michelle on Feb 21

Star Trek-Themed Van Sold
By: T'Bonz on Feb 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 11 2014, 05:18 PM   #16
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Re: Regarding ShipBuilding...

Aside from the design similarities (due to them all being designed for First Contact), the Akira, Norway, Steamrunner, and Saber-class ships' ages are not known. It is assumed they are all new ships designed to replace the older Miranda, Excelsiors and the like, but that could have been done at any point in the last 60 years. It is also assumed that these ships are designed to fight either the Borg, the Klingons, or he Dominion. We aren't sure about any of that...aside that the Akira is ridiculously armed and the Norway seems under armed.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 07:14 PM   #17
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander

View KaineMorrison's Twitter Profile

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Aside from the design similarities (due to them all being designed for First Contact), the Akira, Norway, Steamrunner, and Saber-class ships' ages are not known. It is assumed they are all new ships designed to replace the older Miranda, Excelsiors and the like, but that could have been done at any point in the last 60 years. It is also assumed that these ships are designed to fight either the Borg, the Klingons, or he Dominion. We aren't sure about any of that...aside that the Akira is ridiculously armed and the Norway seems under armed.
Akira is what they took and flipped upside down to use as the NX-01, correct?
KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 08:07 PM   #18
tavor
Ensign

It would need to take at LEAST 2 years to run all of the wires, cables, relays and everything else in the Ship from one end to the other, from top to bottom.
Then testing every connection to make sure no wires are faulty.
you are thinking 20th century tech
these guys would be using nanobots and transporters to move wires and things through bulkheads
tavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 08:37 PM   #19
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Akira was the one they used at the basic shape for the NX-01, yes. The Akira was the one with 15 torpedo tubes and hangers on both front and aft side of the saucer.
Old July 11 2014, 11:26 PM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post

The development time of the Galaxy-class could be atypical for most new starship designs. Most of its systems might have been new at the time, requiring much more testing and trial & error than what is usual.

Subsequent new starship projects might have been able to incorporate some systems that were first pioneered by the Galaxy-class and go from initial objectives proposal to launched prototype in less than half the time.
Even if you work under that theory, it still puts the beginnings of Sovereign-class development before or around the launch of the Galaxy-class.
I could see the USS Sovereign going from initial concept to launched prototype in just five years, especially if most of her systems were already existing ones.

The ship that ultimately became the Enterprise-E could have been cranked out in two or three years after the Sovereign-class design was verified as sound.
Old July 12 2014, 01:02 AM   #21
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander

tavor wrote: View Post
these guys would be using nanobots and transporters to move wires and things through bulkheads
Do they even use NanoTeh, aside from the Borg?
And teleporting cables and wires between bulkheads and walls wound not work.
Old July 12 2014, 01:06 AM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

KaineMorrison wrote: View Post
Not that I agree or disagree with you. But I'm interested in why you feel that way?
Old July 12 2014, 02:08 AM   #23
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

They seem to use a lot of solid state stuff in the 24th century, followed by the bio-neural stuff. But lots of Plasma conduits.
Old July 12 2014, 04:18 AM   #24
austen_pierce
Captain

We've seen enough obscure gadgets that I have no problem believing that in the 24th century there will be better ways to thread wires. Heck, the wire could thread itself. Just tell it where to go.
Old July 12 2014, 08:58 AM   #25
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander

Not that I agree or disagree with you. But I'm interested in why you feel that way?
Because the need to be placed in between other wires and cables and in joint couplers. It is too minute of a job to be that accurate with a teleporter.
Old July 12 2014, 08:59 AM   #26
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
We've seen enough obscure gadgets that I have no problem believing that in the 24th century there will be better ways to thread wires. Heck, the wire could thread itself. Just tell it where to go.
All I could think of when reading your post was something similar to a Snake Charmer...LOL
Old July 12 2014, 11:22 AM   #27
grendelsbayne
Commander

Because the need to be placed in between other wires and cables and in joint couplers. It is too minute of a job to be that accurate with a teleporter.
If the transporter can reconstitute a human being at a molecular level, it can transport wires and cables and couplers in the proper configuration. The primary function of the technology requires far MORE accuracy than this.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 12:44 PM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post

If the transporter can reconstitute a human being at a molecular level, it can transport wires and cables and couplers in the proper configuration. The primary function of the technology requires far MORE accuracy than this.
I would think energy requirements would be astronomical if they constructed a starship with transporters. But, I agree that they would be up to the job.
Old July 12 2014, 04:54 PM   #29
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Industrial replicators and drydock frames. The frames could be used to set the coordinates for the replicator, and they program it with holodecks to fit sections into place. This is why they even have a holosimulaton of the Enterprise-D in the first place.

Starships are said to be modular.
Old July 13 2014, 02:32 PM   #30
austen_pierce
Captain

It takes three to five years for the US Navy to BUILD aircraft carriers. Slightly longer for new designs. Design and planning would add a couple of years to the beginning.