Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 13 2014, 06:31 PM   #46
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Why does everyone hate Wesley?

I like that Wesley wasn't given a mundane ending. The way he was introduced it wouldn't have made sense for him to just settle down with a girl somewhere. He was established as somebody who can't let something go when he has an idea. There were really only two endings that would have made sense for his character, either he goes off and explores the things he tapped into in Remember Me, or he joins Starfleet on the fast track.

Of course, Journey's End was a terrible episode.

The 'Depart as energy' thing is a bit of a cop out, but it's not much worse than the 'No, I have to stay here! Don't you see, it's what I was meant to do, just kinda hang out here forever!' ending that a lot of shows use to write off characters.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 07:32 PM   #47
suarezguy
Commodore

When I first started watching around 8 I really enjoyed and related to him; now he's mostly OK but his presence, at least how others react to him as hardly noticing his age, and brilliance feels too forced too often.
Old July 13 2014, 10:59 PM   #48
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I think that a misconception is being spread around here...in "Journey's End", didn't Wesley just beam back down to the planet (via transporter) to spend some time there with the Traveler? People seem to be under the impression that he turned into a glowy ball of energy and flew off into space. (That was one of his mom's boyfriends.)
Old July 15 2014, 04:58 AM   #49
Morpheus 02
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Wesley as a character was okay, though. I really felt for him, but he was a bit too much of a pollyanna. Even at 12 years old (when I was old enough to understand what was going on, and had caught a rerun of the episode), I wasn't that damned innocent. I was closely observing the nearly naked Edo. That Wesley could completely ignore that, and being somewhat older than myself at the time, baffled me.

That being said, I had a major crush on Wil Wheaton.
Yeah, a 15 year old wouldn't have acted like Wesley did on Edo . 10 year old Will Robinson-- would have been "realisitic." 15 tear old -- umm.... NO!!!!

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
When I first got into TNG it was between seasons 6 and 7, I was 9 and watching it in syndication. I was kind of a math whiz and had hero fantasies, so of COURSE I loved Wesley. Wish fulfillment character all the way. It wasn't kids Wesley's age he appealed to, it was kids right below Wesley's age. Just like high school kids didn't like High School Musical, middle school kids did.

Wesley being brilliant wasn't the problem, so much as having the personality of a character for Full House. In a way I think that's how TV teenagers were 'supposed' to be written before the Simpsons. Sort of Beaver Cleaver 'Aww shucks' types. But if they had made Wesley more of a brilliant version of Jake Sisko he would have been more tolerable. A genius with the feelings of a believable teenager.
Jake Sisko was a realistic version of a teenage boy... I love how he grew naturally -- from troublemaker with his best friend, to having crushes, to becoming a man.

---

I thought the idea was great. I'm the same age as Wil Wheaton, so loved the idea of having someone my age on the show. But he was so poorly written...and Gates McFadden didn't portray a very affectionate mom -- so that also didn't make Wesley & the family dynamic all that interesting.

However, I WILL say I really like WIL as a person ... he feels like someone I could've grown up with, and still be fan boys together today.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 05:32 AM   #50
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I think he's become more adorable now than he ever was before. It helps that he is such a geek, and has become an unofficial representative of the geek community.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 06:19 AM   #51
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Not everyone hates Wesley.

His mother adores him, and The Traveler seems to had taking a liking to him as well.

Reminds me of The Simpsons when Bart gets an elephant:

Homer: I'm alive. I'm alive! And I owe it all to this feisty feline. Lisa: Dad, "feline" means "cat". Homer: Elephant, honey. It's an elephant! -- Well, duh, "Bart Gets an Elephant" "And I'm sure he'll make a grand piano," Homer continues, but Bart and Lisa castigate him: "Dad!" Homer: I guess it wouldn't be right to sell Stampy after he saved my life. And the boy seems to have some sort of relationship with him.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Wesley as a character was okay, though. I really felt for him, but he was a bit too much of a pollyanna. Even at 12 years old (when I was old enough to understand what was going on, and had caught a rerun of the episode), I wasn't that damned innocent. I was closely observing the nearly naked Edo. That Wesley could completely ignore that, and being somewhat older than myself at the time, baffled me.

That being said, I had a major crush on Wil Wheaton.
I don't think it played out like that man.

If I remember correctly, some kids his age come over and ask him "do you want to play a game?"

And Wesley, seeing that practically everyone here is boning right on the street, freaks out and says "what kind of game?" to this they answer "to catch the ball" or something of that sort. Wesley is relieved, since he's not ready to have some 15 year old girls jump him, at least not yet

JesterFace wrote: View Post
Sheldon hated him (Wil) for years but things change...
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I think that a misconception is being spread around here...in "Journey's End", didn't Wesley just beam back down to the planet (via transporter) to spend some time there with the Traveler? People seem to be under the impression that he turned into a glowy ball of energy and flew off into space. (That was one of his mom's boyfriends.)
That is very interesting. I don't remember much about the ending of that episode. I'm going to have to watch it again.

I thought the idea was great. I'm the same age as Wil Wheaton, so loved the idea of having someone my age on the show. But he was so poorly written...and Gates McFadden didn't portray a very affectionate mom -- so that also didn't make Wesley & the family dynamic all that interesting.
I think Gates did a decent job portraying a mom who was traumatized by the loss of her husband, and with a son tagging along as a reminder of that event in her life. To make things worse, to have to bump into the man who was her husband's commanding officer, AND that she had a crush on to boot.

Awkward city indeed.
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 06:46 AM   #52
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^Kids are going to relate to whoever they're going to relate to, regardless of age. Robert Downey Jr. is pushing 50 but kids love him as Iron Man all the same.
In the last Ironman movie, didn't they partner Tony Stark with a child for a nice piece of the movie?

JesterFace wrote: View Post
Sheldon hated him (Wil) for years but things change...
In the episode where Penny turns into a mutant killer gorilla, Wil was a stand up kind of guy.

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Wesley is relieved, since he's not ready to have some 15 year old girls jump him, at least not yet
Which is off, all 15 year old's think about is getting jumped (if memory serves).

One of the problems with Wesley is that it seemed that he was estranged from his peer group aboard the ship, we only saw him with other teens a few times.

Old July 15 2014, 06:46 AM   #53
Ithekro
Captain

I seem to remember a clip of first season Wesley being interesting in "teenage mating rituals" Though I don't remember the context as it was on the blooper reels the last time I saw it.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 07:11 AM   #54
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

PICARD: Wesley. Wes. Are you aware that you're acting strangely, that a kind of infection was brought over from the Tsiolkovsky which acts like intoxication?

WESLEY [on viewscreen]: Are you saying that's why I feel so so hot? So strange?

PICARD: That's a very adult bit of reasoning, Wes,

WESLEY [on viewscreen]: So you mean I'm drunk! I feel strange, but also good.

Of all the first-season-Next-Generation characters, Wesley was maybe the most first-season-Next-Generation-character-iest.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote