Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 10 2014, 02:31 AM   #1
t_smitts
Commander

How do you define a sentient hologram?

This was something that came up regularly on Voyager and, arguably, once or twice on TNG.

So what makes a hologram sentient? Is it simply being aware that you're a hologram?

I think most people assume the Doctor to be sentient. But what about Moriarty or Vic Fontaine? How about the characters in "Shadowplay"? Or that insane hologram in "Revulsion", or Iden's holograms? How about the EMH's on the Equinox, Prometheus, and Enterprise-E?

(Edited to add: OOPS! I meant to post this in General Discussion!)

Last edited by t_smitts; July 10 2014 at 03:11 AM.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 04:20 AM   #2
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Re: How do you define a sentient hologram?

I would define a sentient hologram as the projection of a self-aware machine (computer)
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 05:39 AM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

My only problem with self-aware holograms and how they're supposed to be such a miraculous thing is, why aren't the ships housing those computers, or even the ship's computer itself, treated as if they are self-aware?
Old July 10 2014, 11:56 AM   #4
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
My only problem with self-aware holograms and how they're supposed to be such a miraculous thing is, why aren't the ships housing those computers, or even the ship's computer itself, treated as if they are self-aware?
Now THAT is an excellent question...if memory serves, the holo-people that have been shown as "sentient" have been "surprises" to the crew, and, by extension, to the nature of the technology...maybe too few and too far between to be classified and understood and harnessed?...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Old July 10 2014, 12:23 PM   #5
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

why aren't the ships housing those computers, or even the ship's computer itself, treated as if they are self-aware?
IIRC, the ship computer (when functioning normally) was never depicted in a way that suggested it had any degree of self-awareness.

It was, however, obviously able to create self-contained "programs" (for lack of a better term) - such as James Moriarty - that appeared to be fully self-aware.

ETA: I was just reminded of TNG's "Emergence", where they Ent-D actually develops an intelligence and promptly proceeds to procreate. At the end of the episode, of course, the reset button kicks in as the emergent intelligence dies/vanishes after giving birth and the Ent-D computer is back to normal.

Last edited by SPCTRE; July 10 2014 at 12:35 PM.
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I've only seen "Emergence" once or twice, though thought it did some inventive things for making a slightly different holodeck story. But wasn't it all caused by some mystical outside alien influence?

If the Enterprise and Voyager computers can create self-aware programs, why isn't it creating a self-aware identity for itself? If it's because it's programmed not to conceive of such a concept, then why couldn't one of its sentient holograms think of it as a way of upgrading the ship? The Intrepid class even seems a likely candidate for such a thing, with its bio-neural gelpacks.

ETA: Bought TNG Season 7 today, so at least I can watch "Emergence" again now.

Last edited by Melakon; July 10 2014 at 08:56 PM.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 06:14 PM   #7
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

The ship's main computer might have built in "hardwired" safeguards that prevent it from ever becoming self aware. If it should ever begin to exhibit signs that it starting to become self aware, programs will activate to set the computer back to a "unaware" state.

Holodecks/suites might have been around for a while, but I got the impression from the first season of TNG that the holodeck on the Enterprise was something new and advanced. The creation of Moriarty was likely an accident, it was somethng the main computer's programmers didn't anticipate.

Similar with Voyager's EMH, initally he wasn't self aware, just a program. But as he was used for unanticipated protracted periods of time he grew into a sapient being. He accidently woke up.

I like the character of Vic Fontaine, but I'm not completely sure he's self aware.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 12:09 AM   #8
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Whereas I'm kind of the opposite. I found Vic a little grating - I think everyone just gushed about how cool he was once too often - but I do think he's self aware.
I do think the issue of sentient holograms is really interesting, and given it's implications I'd think that the Federation should really consider how they're using holograms. The potential abuse there could be pretty horrific.
Old July 11 2014, 01:22 AM   #9
Melakon
Vice Admiral

"Vulcan Love Slave" with a sentient hologram might be a bit extreme.
Old July 11 2014, 04:13 AM   #10
borgboy
Fleet Captain

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, although beyond sex, there would be sadists who would enjoy acting out abuse on a hologram.
Old July 11 2014, 05:11 AM   #11
HIjol
Fleet Captain

"Vulcan Love Slave" with a sentient hologram might be a bit extreme.
borgboy wrote: View Post
That's pretty much what I'm thinking, although beyond sex, there would be sadists who would enjoy acting out abuse on a hologram.

However, with Urbane, "Gentlemen-of-the-Galaxy" like ourselves, there would be only the most judicious and exquisite use of the technology!... ...yeah, baby!

As I think I tried to say above, I think a confluence of events and "critical mass" of tech and power and use and connection occurred, and these " self-aware" events happened...kind of like we are to accept Skynet becoming self-aware...who is to say how and when, and with what "ingredients" this kind of thing can occur?...
Old July 11 2014, 07:00 AM   #12
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist Moderator

Moved to General Trek Discussion per OP's oops.
Old July 11 2014, 02:53 PM   #13
E-DUB
Captain

Some of this has been talked about over in Trek Lit, given the subject of "The Light Fantastic".

I would say "The Doctor"-Yes, sentient.
Moriarty, Yes.
Vic, No-he's just programmed to fake it really well.
The Shadowplay people. Can't really tell.

It's hard, maybe even impossible, to tell the difference between actual sentience and simulated sentience, yet I maintain that there is one.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 05:49 AM   #14
Oso Blanco
Commodore

There is a very fine line between a hologram being a just a combination of different computer routines and the point when it's becoming more than the sum of its parts.

Human brains are nothing but biochemical computers, yet each of us is different and we're all acting kind of unpredictable. Maybe that's the difference ... being unpredictable. Making decisions that based on computer logic do not make any sense at all. An ability to chose that goes beyond simple computer commands.
Old July 18 2014, 06:16 AM   #15
Ithekro
Captain

What about Minuet, the Binars' distraction for Riker in the first season?
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote