Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 7 2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Foxhot
Commodore

LIFE ITSELF with Roger Ebert

Being a non-Michael Moore documentary, this film is unlikely to spread out to the majority of multiplexes. But it is already being made available to Video On Demand, and I predict it will win its Oscar nomination next year for Best 2014 documentary.

It's greater than that in my mind, though. It's the best movie this year I've seen hands down, and very likely the entire year...even if you leave in an anti-Pauline Kael line from of Ebert's surviving friends. It's a line Ebert would disagree with.

Gene Siskel also gets his due. The way both men dealt with their illnesses, Siskel privately and Ebert publicly, proved equally moving. I cannot recommend this film enough. So I'll ask who else has caught it as of today.
''Four questions, joker. Why do you leave your pets on the floor where they can get squashed, who's this idiot with the dark glasses, where's my Becky, and what the HELL are you doing floating on the ceiling?''
Foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: LIFE ITSELF with Roger Ebert

I might catch it on Netflix sometime, but honestly, as big an Ebert fan as I am, I'm not in a big rush to see a documentary about him, especially one that focuses significant time on his health troubles, which illuminated his character, no question, but don't hugely interest me in of themselves.

Also, the What the Flick?! gang says Roeper isn't even mentioned, let alone interviewed? Not a mention for his TV partner of six or seven years? That's kinda weird, no?
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 01:38 AM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I can not WAIT to see this. I was such a huge fan of his and I've heard wonderful things about the film.
Old July 8 2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Foxhot
Commodore

Gaith wrote: View Post
I might catch it on Netflix sometime, but honestly, as big an Ebert fan as I am, I'm not in a big rush to see a documentary about him, especially one that focuses significant time on his health troubles, which illuminated his character, no question, but don't hugely interest me in of themselves.

Also, the What the Flick?! gang says Roeper isn't even mentioned, let alone interviewed? Not a mention for his TV partner of six or seven years? That's kinda weird, no?
Extremely. As great as the film is, Roeper's total absence is a blind spot. Russ Meyer is not dwelled on, but at least he's mentioned. Maybe future deleted scenes will touch on them.
''Four questions, joker. Why do you leave your pets on the floor where they can get squashed, who's this idiot with the dark glasses, where's my Becky, and what the HELL are you doing floating on the ceiling?''
Foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I can entirely understand the filmmakers not making a big deal of their time, but to not even mention him inevitably smells like a deliberate slight. And, given the degree to which Ebert cooperated with the movie, it practically forces one to wonder if they had a falling out.
Old July 9 2014, 03:11 AM   #6
Locutus of Bored
The Locutest One of All

Gaith wrote: View Post
The director was going to include a segment about Roeper's collaboration with Ebert, but felt it didn't fit the narrative. You'd think he could have at least included a quote about Roger from Roeper though. But no, there was no falling out between Roeper and Ebert, it was just a creative decision by the director.

Of course, there were several other iterations of the show after Siskel's death: Richard Roeper, various guest hosts, A.O. Scott and Michael Phillips, Christy Lemire and Ignatiy Vishnevetsky. You don't mention any of them in the movie.

I had every intention of at least documenting in some way the show with Roeper, because Roger did the show with Roeper for like seven or eight years. I planned to interview Richard, but what happened was that after Roger died, I started to really try and work with the interviews that I already had done, which ended up being about two-thirds of the interviews that were eventually in the movie. I started to piece together a structure for the movie. When I got to that part of the film where Gene dies, and the decision that Gene and his wife made about how they were going to be very private about the illness, and the impact that decision had on Roger -- how it hurt him to be excluded from knowing that diagnosis and how it fueled his own decision to not deal with anything that might befall him in a similar way going forward -- I just felt like I had to go from that to delving deeply into what befell Roger. I just felt that was such a strong narrative line of greater importance to spend some time with the show in the aftermath of Gene.

I know Richard really wanted to be a part of the film and I even sent a note to him explaining why I made the decisions I made and he was very classy about it. But I ended up decided that that was more important to telling the story and that the show with Gene was the significance of Roger's television film criticism.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/lif...ntary-20140705
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 05:17 AM   #7
Random_Spock
Commodore

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

I hope that this documentary comes out on dvd or is in my area someday, theater wise. It would be nice to catch it.
Old July 9 2014, 10:24 PM   #8
Gaith
Rear Admiral

@Locutus: good stuff; thanks.
Old July 9 2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Locutus of Bored
The Locutest One of All

You're welcome.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 08:57 PM   #10
publiusr
Rear Admiral

I miss Roger.

With him and Gene, we got My Dinner With Andre every week.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote