Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 9 2014, 05:04 AM   #1
Wingsley
Commodore

Connie - TOS canon nomenclature

In "A Taste of Armageddon", Anan 7 referred to the orbiting Starship Enterprise as a "star cruiser".

In the novelization of TMP written by Gene Roddenberry, the author specifically referred to the Enterprise's official in-universe nomenclature as "heavy cruiser", meant to demilitarize her true nature as a "battleship".

In STAR TREK III - THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK, the Klingon Bird of Prey crew recognized the Enterprise as a "Federation battlecruiser".

And of course, sprinkled throughout TOS and the first few movies were repeated references to the Enterprise and her sisterships as "starship".

Are there any other canon references in TOS the tell what the Starship Enterprise and her sisterships would be, nomenclature-wise?
Old July 9 2014, 05:07 AM   #2
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Connie - TOS canon nomenclature

In "The Cage/The Menagerie," Pike refers to his ship as the "space vehicle" Enterprise.
Old July 9 2014, 05:55 AM   #3
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

KIRK: No, it's a beautiful lady, and we love her.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Last Redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Starship seems the most consistent.
Last Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 09:28 AM   #5
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Wingsley wrote: View Post
In STAR TREK III - THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK, the Klingon Bird of Prey crew recognized the Enterprise as a "Federation battlecruiser".
Also "CLASS 1 HEAVY CRUISER/CONSTITUTION-CLASS STARSHIP" from various bridge graphics, taken from FJ's original Star Fleet Technical Manual.
Old July 9 2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Green Shirt
Commodore

It began as Starship Class (assuming the dedication plaque counts as canon), but that fell by the wayside over time.
Old July 9 2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Wingsley, please don't feel offended. There is little I can do about the common use here about the "Connie" colloquialism but seeing it in a thread title compells me to speak my mind.

Where I live people use colloquialisms like "beamer" when they talk about video front projectors and "handy" when they refer to cell phones / mobiles. Funny and strange, isn't it?

I'm afraid with "Connie" it's even worse. The colloquialism describes the TOS Enterprise, a starship designed by Walter Matt Jefferies (an aviator) and approved by Gene Roddenberry (a trained Pan American pilot). If they’d hear what fans use as a nickname for the TOS Enterprise, I’m confident this is how both would react:

Because, for Star Trek creators and aviators from the mid-20th Century, this is the real “Connie”:

It's the nickname for the Lockheed Constellation, a real plane Gene Roddenberry had been flying as a Pan Am pilot.

Worse, it’s a nickname abbreviation for “Constellation”, thus it might exclusively apply to Matt Decker’s ship, NCC-1017.

For the TOS canon nomenclature I respect and stick with the known intentions of the original creators (Roddenberry, Justman and Jefferies), suggested by Jefferies’ NCC-1701 production sketch (Enterprise is the "first ship", "the first bird" of the 17th design series) and both statements in The Making of Star Trek according to which the Enterprise and her sister ships belong to the “Enterprise Starship Class”.

As a matter of fact, that’s what it says on the dedication plaque of the TOS bridge: “(U.S.S.) Enterprise Starship Class”. Apparently, the “USS” is the confusing element, but how much weirder would it have sounded like this: “USS Enterprise Enterprise Starship Class”. As the first ship of her class, her dedication plaque was somewhat different.

Of course we might wonder what the bridge dedication plaque of the Lexington would have read. I think it would have read “USS Lexington Enterprise Class”.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 12:58 PM   #8
Forbin
Admiral

^And there has never been a prettier airliner.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 01:08 PM   #9
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

The "class" of the Enterprise and how its nomenclature evolved/matured is pretty well codified on Memory Alpha here:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Constitution_class

(Footnote 1 is particularly helpful.)

The "type" of ship the Enterprise is (starship, star cruiser, space vessel, space ship, space cruiser, heavy cruiser, battleship) is less well codified. (Good luck with that.)

As I often say: "Canonicity is the beginning of Star Trek wisdom, not the end."

In "A Taste of Armageddon", Anan 7 referred to the orbiting Starship Enterprise as a "star cruiser".

In the novelization of TMP written by Gene Roddenberry, the author specifically referred to the Enterprise's official in-universe nomenclature as "heavy cruiser", meant to demilitarize her true nature as a "battleship".

And of course, sprinkled throughout TOS and the first few movies were repeated references to the Enterprise and her sisterships as "starship".

Are there any other canon references in TOS the tell what the Starship Enterprise and her sisterships would be, nomenclature-wise?
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 01:54 PM   #10
Robert Comsol
Commodore

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Constitution_class

(Footnote 1 is particularly helpful.)
It’s a footnote referring to an illegible small print (another footnote ) on a viewscreen schematic apparently belonging to another starship manual Khan read.

KHAN: I've been reading up on starships, but they have one luxury not mentioned in the manuals.
MARLA: I don't understand.
KHAN: A beautiful woman. My name is Khan.

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
As I often say: "Canonicity is the beginning of Star Trek wisdom, not the end."
In my philosophy wisdom contains a thing called “respect”. The Making of Star Trek explicitly mentioned “Enterprise Starship Class” and “Enterprise Class” for the TOS Enterprise and her sister ships.
Greg Jein quoted from the “Enterprise Class” passage in this book, Franz Joseph based his works almost entirely on this book, but both deliberately disrespected the “Enterprise Class” quotes and substituted these with “Constitution Class”.

Just because two fans (correction, Franz Joseph didn’t consider himself a fan) thought they somehow knew better than the original creators, doesn’t make their “conclusions” canon or binding. It remains a popular myth that somehow gained a lot of undeserved popularity at the expense of the original creators and – worse – makes the “[Enterprise] Starship Class” dedication plaque look as if the original producers didn’t know what they were doing (“Is there a USS Starship”? ).

Pike’s accident occurred on a “J-Class starship” according to “The Menagerie I”, so it looks like the the nomenclature the producers had in mind, was similar to the alphabetic nomenclature of planets.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 02:39 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

In my philosophy wisdom contains a thing called “respect”.
Just because something grows and changes as more creators become involved doesn't mean the original creators are somehow being disrespected.

The Naked Now wrote:
PICARD: (reading the screen) The Constitution class Enterprise, Captain James T. Kirk commanding.
Gene Roddenberry was still fully in charge of TNG, at this point and obviously had no issue with the "Constitution-class" nomenclature.
Old July 9 2014, 02:40 PM   #12
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

On the other hand, didn't Kellam DeForrest say that any ship that travels faster than light is, by definition, a starship? Of course, this was ignored and the term "starship" meant to signify something much grander.

MERIK: "He commands not just a space ship, Proconsul, but a starship. A very special vessel and crew..."
Old July 9 2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Richard Baker
Commander

IIRC the only spoken on screen reference to the TOS Enterprise being a Constitution class was by Picard to Scotty in 'Relics'
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 02:51 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
IIRC the only spoken on screen reference to the TOS Enterprise being a Constitution class was by Picard to Scotty in 'Relics'
Picard mentions it in "The Naked Now", which I quoted above.

It is also referenced as "Constitution class" by Sisko in "Trials and Tribble-ations":

Trials and Tribble-ations wrote:
SISKO: This was the first Enterprise. Constitution class.
Old July 9 2014, 04:08 PM   #15
Dennis
The Man

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
In my philosophy wisdom contains a thing called “respect”.
There are different and better definitions of "respect" than "slavish deference."

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote