RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,955
Members: 25,505
Currently online: 450
Newest member: Jaxonii

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Grading
A+ 13 24.07%
A 13 24.07%
A- 10 18.52%
B+ 8 14.81%
B 5 9.26%
B- 2 3.70%
C+ 0 0%
C 1 1.85%
C- 1 1.85%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 1 1.85%
E 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12 2014, 01:42 AM   #31
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Grading & Discussion

A+

My favorite thing about this and the last movie is the way the apes talk. It's not like Roddy McDowell and the Queen's English. It sounds like apes with accelerated speech centers talking. Excellent job.

And I rooted for the apes. In this version they deserve the world.

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 02:08 AM   #32
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Well, keep in mind the original movies the apes were much more evolved, and the humans DE-evolved since they had lost the ability of speech.
Old July 12 2014, 02:42 AM   #33
JD
Admiral

Wow, absolutely incredible movie.
One of the things I loved the most about it is the fact that is not about the conflict between human and apes, but about conflicting ideologies in both species. It's not just apes good, humans bad or the other way around, there were good and bad in both groups. I was honestly expecting the big battle we see in the trailers to be the climax, so I was presently surprised when that actually happened about half way through, and the real climax was Ceasar/Koba and Malcolm/Dreyfus.
I loved the fact that we spent so much time with the Apes, and I really liked that they actually had them acting like apes, rather than humanizing them.
I thought all of the actors did good jobs, but Andy Serkis (Ceasar), and Toby Kebbell (Koba), and Jason Clarke (Malcolm) and Gary Oldman (Dreyfus) were especially great.
I really hope if we do get a third one, which seems pretty likely to me, that they keep it in a close enough time frame that we get the same cast.
Definitely gets an A+ for me.
Old July 12 2014, 03:24 AM   #34
Warped9
Admiral

I want to see this (I enjoyed the first one)' but I'm not paying extra to see it in 3D because it bothers my eyes. Unless a 2D version is released then I'll have to wait for video release.
Old July 12 2014, 03:38 AM   #35
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I want to see this (I enjoyed the first one)' but I'm not paying extra to see it in 3D because it bothers my eyes. Unless a 2D version is released then I'll have to wait for video release.
Does your local theater not have a 2D version available? Mine certainly did. While I can see plenty in this movie that *might* look good in 3D, at the same time there's lots of these scenes where it's dark (as in night/low-light conditions in the movie) so I don't think the 3D would lend much to the experience and I've heard the 3D isn't well done.
Old July 12 2014, 04:37 AM   #36
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

A+. I thought Apes was great! The CGI work on them has become amazing and they completely carry the film. Even more impressive is how the movie relies on sign language and subtitles. It's a terrific way to help tell the story. Serkis's work continues to remain top-notch and I was so glad to see the character of Maurice back.

Also good, some of the motivations here (particularly Oldman's character) actually make sense.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 06:08 AM   #37
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

thought it was great. the CGI really was fantastic. i would swear that in some of those close ups that real apes were used.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 07:24 AM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Does your local theater not have a 2D version available? Mine certainly did. While I can see plenty in this movie that *might* look good in 3D, at the same time there's lots of these scenes where it's dark (as in night/low-light conditions in the movie) so I don't think the 3D would lend much to the experience and I've heard the 3D isn't well done.
My local theatre usually does have a 2D showing, but not always and not yet for this film. Maybe within a week.
Old July 12 2014, 09:09 AM   #39
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Ok, I'm ready to close the book on 2014. There's absolutely no way a better movie than this one can come out this year. This was incredible.
Old July 12 2014, 03:04 PM   #40
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Wow. Just wow. Haven't been so engrossed in a film in years. The only downside I had was Gary Oldman. He irks me in everything he's in, but other than that I loved it. Best film of the year for me without a doubt. Favourite scene? The little one between Alexander and Maurice. Simple, yet effective.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 03:30 PM   #41
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

So, while I grant that the apes probably haven't done a lot of exploring outside of the forest they never really noticed that a large human settlement had formed in SanFran? When Caesar is talking to the orangutan it's said humans hadn't been seen for a couple years. But it turns out there's a great many of them across the bay in the city!

So the apes never went into the city over those couple years and noticed humans in the city, manning the blockade, or, hell, the humans were perfectly silent all of this time having never caused any kind of meaningful ruckus, fire, or gunfire?
Old July 12 2014, 06:17 PM   #42
davejames
Vice Admiral

Not much that hasn't already been said. Just a fantastic movie, with a really well told and well thought out story. And incredible CGI that was truly photo-real at times.

I have to say though, after this movie I'm kinda ready to skip ahead much further in time, to see what the more evolved versions of these apes might look like, and to see what their future civilization might look like.

I'm not sure I really care to see this "huge war with the military" that was hinted at the end of this movie. I mean, we get it. There will be helicopters and tanks and lots of explosions. But that just doesn't sound very interesting to me.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 06:35 PM   #43
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
So, while I grant that the apes probably haven't done a lot of exploring outside of the forest they never really noticed that a large human settlement had formed in SanFran? When Caesar is talking to the orangutan it's said humans hadn't been seen for a couple years. But it turns out there's a great many of them across the bay in the city!

So the apes never went into the city over those couple years and noticed humans in the city, manning the blockade, or, hell, the humans were perfectly silent all of this time having never caused any kind of meaningful ruckus, fire, or gunfire?
Well, think about it. Caesar's original plan was probably just "Apes stick to forest." Under those circumstances he and the other apes would have no reason to go into built up dead areas of human cities, whereas only mad dog survivalist humans would have any reason to venture into the forests, so it's perfectly understandable that the apes hadn't seen humans in two years, since the smarter humans probably thought "Hey, them scary apes from the bridge are in them trees, man!" and stayed the hell out of the forest.

By the way, the line of the movie, when Old man takes a headcount of the apes: "That's a hell of a lot more than eighty!"

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 02:02 AM   #44
The Keeper
Commodore

Except being a bit long in the tooth at some places, I liked it almost as much as the first. I expected to see the apes growing towards their future dominance over their territory and that was delivered. Can't wait to see the next installment.

A-
Old July 13 2014, 03:07 AM   #45
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Once in a while, a sci-fi movie with a heart or a brain emerges, like District 9, whose cinematography is only a means to tell a good story and to comment on the human condition. DotPotA is a sci-fi film with soul and humanity, albeit focused on the titular characters. A sequel to 2010's Rise of the Planet of the Apes, it tells of the struggle between a colony of intelligent primates living in the forest of northern central California and a community of human survivors in a postapocalyptic San Francisco, a decade after most of humanity has perished from a deadly pandemic known as the Simian flu.

Caesar is the wise and brave leader of the apes. When Malcolm and a group of humans seek passage within ape territory to gain access to a dam in order to restore electrical power to their community, mutual cooperation is soon followed by mistrust and chaos due to the hatemongering by Caesar's close friend and lieutenant Koba, and everything goes apeshit afterwards. The movie focuses on the dramatic conflict between mankind and its super-evolved cousins, whose one chance at peace is threatened by blind hatred and suspicion.

The digital rendering of the Simians was done superbly, though they looked a bit too human for me. Andy Serkis is the king of motion capture acting.

I gave it a solid B.

Last edited by Gryffindorian; July 14 2014 at 02:48 AM.
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote