IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 11 2014, 08:10 PM   #16
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam

Saga wrote: View Post
avoid Seed Destiny. Do Not Want!
It's not as bad as people claim it is, but it does have a lot of flaws. Watch it if you really want to see more of the SEED-verse, but don't expect greatness or pay too much for it, for that matter.
Old July 11 2014, 08:35 PM   #17
CorporalClegg
Admiral

zakkrusz wrote: View Post
It's not as bad as people claim it is,
Yes it is. The fact they essentially rebooted the story twice should be evidence enough of that.

And did their best to write the main character out of it because no one liked him.
Old July 12 2014, 09:41 PM   #18
publiusr
Commodore

I would have liked to have seen more toys that weren't the mobile suits. The ships, the space colonies, shuttles/HLVs, etc.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 06:03 PM   #19
Doctorwhovian
Commander

The ships have been available a few times in model kit form and also as toys (mainly in the early 2000s for the latter). The mobile armors as well. Although mainly those from the UC stuff.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 06:39 PM   #20
Doctorwhovian
Commander

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I've only seen one Gundam series, Gundam Seed, but I enjoyed it. It had some good characters (and, to be fair, a few really bad ones) and I enjoyed the story. I've been meaning to get to Seed Destiny, but I've had other priorities when it comes to TV show watching.
SEED sort of follows a lot of the story beats of the original Gundam, but with a more updated style (and a lot more Gundams!) IMO.
Old July 13 2014, 08:23 PM   #21
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
It's not as bad as people claim it is,
Yes it is. The fact they essentially rebooted the story twice should be evidence enough of that.

And did their best to write the main character out of it because no one liked him.
Don't forget the excessive recaping, all the cheapass animation, and a certain character who was most certainly dead coming back to life. Still all of that only brought it down to the mediocre range for me. It was still watchable because of the characters, action and the storyline.

It's not even the worst Gundam in my opinion. That would fall to SD Gundam Force. I also couldn't get into Gundam AGE either.

Last edited by zakkrusz; July 13 2014 at 08:33 PM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 10:16 PM   #22
Doctorwhovian
Commander

I remember Gundam X sort of flopped, it had an interesting concept- a post-apocalyptic Gundam that was sort of a what if? to the original UC timeline (With newtypes and suits that closely resembled UC versions although the Gundams themselves were still similar to those from G Gundam and Wing)-but didn't really get good ratings, was cut short and made the franchise semi-dormant for a while. In a few ways it was kind of Gundam's Enterprise, and like that series it's sort of being re-evaluated lately as well, at least by some and getting a manga series and some new models....
Old July 13 2014, 10:28 PM   #23
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
I remember Gundam X sort of flopped, it had an interesting concept- a post-apocalyptic Gundam that was sort of a what if? to the original UC timeline (With newtypes and suits that closely resembled UC versions although the Gundams themselves were still similar to those from G Gundam and Wing)-but didn't really get good ratings, was cut short and made the franchise semi-dormant for a while. In a few ways it was kind of Gundam's Enterprise, and like that series it's sort of being re-evaluated lately as well, at least by some and getting a manga series and some new models....
Yeah, that one seemed to have some issues but it did end up concluding rather nicely. I liked it, but I don't remember much about it.

Gundam F91 had something similar happen. It was supposed to be a new series, but ended up getting turned into a compressed movie. I really would have liked to see what it would have been like if it was expanded upon.
Old July 13 2014, 10:34 PM   #24
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

i really liked Gundam X. its a shame it was cut short, as it was just getting really interesting by the time they made it to space.

same with F91. you can see where some of the characters could have been expanded and the story stretched out had it been a series.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 10:43 PM   #25
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

Turn A is probably my favorite (i know, i'm weird.)

I like the original universe stuff too.

seed ok, destiny not, never got into 00.

with Age it feels to me like they should've gone for a comedic, parody version of the average gundam series. (though nadesico basically did that years ago)

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 10:51 PM   #26
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

I think Gundam X got shafted because it followed the insanely popular Gundam Wing. Gundam X was the 96 series and Wing the 95 series. Wing was given a movie in 97 after Gundam X was cancelled. Wing was just that popular I guess. With the proceeding Gundams being G in 94 and Victory in 93. G Gundam a lot of people saw as a parody of the Gundam franchise with too many shonen tropes added. Victory Gundam also wasn't very popular. Granted Victory earned it's reputation by being joyless, mean spirited and not very memorable. I really think Tomino was out to kill the franchise with Victory Gundam.

F91 was supposed to be a full series; 50 episodes. But creative differences among the production team and problems with Sunrise are what caused F91 to cut down before it even got started. The movie of F91 is composed of ideas from the first 13 episodes of the show compiled in to a 2 hour movie. It suffers badly. The alleged creative differences among the production crew stem from how they were to handle the Crossbone Vanguard and the conflict. The Crossbone Vanguard as presented in the film teeter between aristocratic family like Zeon, and space pirates who just take what they want from other colonies. It's all iffy.
F91 also had to compete with Gundam 0083 which was released 2 months after F91. 0083 was a 13 episode OVA which served as a prequel to the classic series Zeta Gundam (one of the most popular).

Timeline wise, everything after Unicorn (UC 0096); F91 (0123), Victory (0153) and G-Savior (0223) range from ok to terrible.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 03:46 AM   #27
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

The gundam talk got me to watch some more stuff. I decided to try 08th MS Team, because it seems well liked and its only 12 episodes. I watched the first episode, and I liked it. I have no idea why the Federation and Zeon are fighting (they don't explain it in the first episode), but its not a huge deal. White with red/blue gundams = good, green cyclops gundam = bad . I liked the main character (Shiro), the gundam pilot, and the female zeon pilot Shiro meets. The guy writing the letter was a bit annoying, but nothing too bad. Overall, I liked it, and I intend to watch all of it.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 09:45 AM   #28
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The gundam talk got me to watch some more stuff. I decided to try 08th MS Team, because it seems well liked and its only 12 episodes. I watched the first episode, and I liked it. I have no idea why the Federation and Zeon are fighting (they don't explain it in the first episode), but its not a huge deal. White with red/blue gundams = good, green cyclops gundam = bad . I liked the main character (Shiro), the gundam pilot, and the female zeon pilot Shiro meets. The guy writing the letter was a bit annoying, but nothing too bad. Overall, I liked it, and I intend to watch all of it.
8th MS Team is a spinoff of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and in the timeline it takes place sometime during that show about midway through it I think. It was also made like two decades after the show it spins off from so it kind of assumes you already know things about Mobile Suit Gundam.
Old July 20 2014, 11:25 AM   #29
Doctorwhovian
Commander

The Cyclops suit is called the Zaku II. (There also is a Zaku I but it's not as 'iconic' and is outdated by the start of Gundam). The black and purple Zaku in the first ep is a partial prototype for another mobile suit, the "Dom" which appears later in the series. (Zakus and Doms also appear in Gundam Seed Destiny, although with a slightly different design). Zeon also has a powerful ground unit called the Gouf, which appears later in the series (and also memorably in the original Gundam and Seed Destiny).

The Gundams seen in the series are a mass production model as noted called the Gundam Ground Type. There also is a less powerful mass production suit known as the GM (analogous to the "Dagger" in Gundam Seed).
Old July 20 2014, 04:21 PM   #30
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

8th MS Team is a spinoff of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and in the timeline it takes place sometime during that show about midway through it I think. It was also made like two decades after the show it spins off from so it kind of assumes you already know things about Mobile Suit Gundam.
I figured it expected me to know the conflict, although I wasn't really that lost.

kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote