RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 146,967
Posts: 5,798,862
Members: 26,053
Currently online: 592
Newest member: Fussel

TrekToday headlines

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

5th Passenger Teaser Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek: Renegades Los Angeles Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Shatner Show Coming To Australia
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Wigs
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Pegg: No Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Stewart Snotbot Support
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Ryan Joins Arrow
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 8 2014, 07:45 PM   #1
LordMudd
Commander
 
Location: Pasadena, TX.
Tamoon

This character was Chekov's yellow skinned Drill Thrall in Gamesters of Triskellion, played by actress Jane Ross, also known as Jane Breslaw. There is very little information that I have seen on the character. Has anyone ever seen any speculation or definitive information on this character or her race of origin?


CCC.
__________________
The dirty old man of action figure customizing.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 10:50 PM   #2
dstyer
Lieutenant
 
dstyer's Avatar
 
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Re: Tamoon

Try here:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tamoon
dstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 01:00 PM   #3
LordMudd
Commander
 
Location: Pasadena, TX.
Re: Tamoon

Thanks but I read that before I posted.

CCC.
__________________
The dirty old man of action figure customizing.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 02:31 PM   #4
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
 
GSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Terra
Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: Tamoon

LordMudd wrote: View Post
Thanks but I read that before I posted.

CCC.
When it comes to definitive information, I think that all that exists regarding this character are the few minutes of screen time devoted to her in "Gamesters of Triskelion" and whatever scant information might be in the actual shooting script for that episode that didn't make it into the final cut. (I've looked: there's nothing really of value in non-dialogue script direction regarding the character.)

When it comes to unofficial speculative information about this character, I haven't seen any. She's a relatively minor character existing in only one episode and, aside from being from an otherwise unportrayed humanoid species, she doesn't seem to have anything compelling going on with her.

The good news is that this means that she's a clean slate: you can come up with whatever backstory and speculation you'd like for this character. I look forward to your fan fiction on this underexplored character.
__________________
Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 02:16 AM   #5
LordMudd
Commander
 
Location: Pasadena, TX.
Re: Tamoon

Here is my thinking.

We know Orion is not a member world from Journey to Babel, and I believe your world has to be a member, or you are at least a Fed citizen, to be in Starfleet, yet in the JJverse we have an Orion in Starfleet. There are all kinds of possible explanations for that. In GoT we see an Andorian Thrall.

Me personally, I like to custom as many different looking aliens as Starfleet crew action figures as I can, just looks better in the group pics, so, I wanted to see if there was any info that made it reasonable to assume her race was a member world.

CCC.
__________________
The dirty old man of action figure customizing.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 04:41 AM   #6
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: Tamoon

LordMudd wrote: View Post
Here is my thinking.

We know Orion is not a member world from Journey to Babel, and I believe your world has to be a member, or you are at least a Fed citizen, to be in Starfleet, yet in the JJverse we have an Orion in Starfleet. There are all kinds of possible explanations for that. In GoT we see an Andorian Thrall.

Me personally, I like to custom as many different looking aliens as Starfleet crew action figures as I can, just looks better in the group pics, so, I wanted to see if there was any info that made it reasonable to assume her race was a member world.

CCC.
Why can't the Orions in Starfleet be Federation citizens? Worf was a UFP citizen. Though even that isn't required as Ro was a member of Starfleet while her homeworld Bajor wasn't a member of the UFP.

GoT wrote:
Captain's log, stardate 3211.8. While beaming down from the Enterprise to inspect facilities on Gamma Two, the normal transporter sequence has been interrupted, and we find ourselves on a strange and hostile planet, surrounded by creatures belonging to races scattered all through the galaxy
The inference here is the various races seen are from disparate areas of space.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 06:16 AM   #7
Last Redshirt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Last Redshirt's Avatar
 
Location: On the Starship Enterprise
Re: Tamoon

LordMudd wrote: View Post
Here is my thinking.

We know Orion is not a member world from Journey to Babel, and I believe your world has to be a member, or you are at least a Fed citizen, to be in Starfleet, yet in the JJverse we have an Orion in Starfleet. There are all kinds of possible explanations for that. In GoT we see an Andorian Thrall.
The way I saw it, joining Starfleet was a path to citizenship, much like how if you join the US Armed Forces and serve for however many years, you're awarded with citizenship.
Last Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 07:43 AM   #8
LordMudd
Commander
 
Location: Pasadena, TX.
Re: Tamoon

It is reasonable to assume that human men have married orion women and had children, who would be Federation citizens, as would be the wife. It is also possible to assume that the chain of events in the JJverse changed the point of view of the Orion government, causing them to join. We don't know, but there she is. We don't know if Marta (Whom Gods Destroy) was a citizen, but you don't have to be a citizen to be locked up for being criminally insane. The Orion were not members in ToS, but were they in TMP? Did the Troyans join? Did the Cheronites manage to keep from destroying themselves this time? and join? The Gorn? It almost looked like the guy in the EV suit when Epsilon IX was destroyed was a Gorn.

Enquiring minds want to know.

CCC.
__________________
The dirty old man of action figure customizing.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 08:10 AM   #9
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Tamoon

I assumed Tamoon was from a faraway world unknown to the Federation, primarily because her skin and hair colors were unlike any other species we knew about. Of course, that's not proof, it's just an impression.
__________________
“A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP” — Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 08:14 AM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England
Re: Tamoon

I assumed she was a somewhat pale Orion.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: Tamoon

LordMudd wrote: View Post
It is reasonable to assume that human men have married orion women and had children, who would be Federation citizens, as would be the wife. It is also possible to assume that the chain of events in the JJverse changed the point of view of the Orion government, causing them to join. We don't know, but there she is. We don't know if Marta (Whom Gods Destroy) was a citizen, but you don't have to be a citizen to be locked up for being criminally insane. The Orion were not members in ToS, but were they in TMP? Did the Troyans join? Did the Cheronites manage to keep from destroying themselves this time? and join? The Gorn? It almost looked like the guy in the EV suit when Epsilon IX was destroyed was a Gorn.

Enquiring minds want to know.

CCC.
It's also reasonable to assume that any Orion can become a naturalized UFP citizen and any Orion born in UFP territory is a UFP citizen.

No one knows the answers to those questions. They've never been addressed on screen.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Marsden
Fleet Captain
 
Marsden's Avatar
 
Location: Not Celebrating Spocktoberfest
Re: Tamoon

They didn't actually say that Orion isn't part of the Federation, only that they would profit from Corridan not joining and being protected under Federation law. The Tellerites are certainly supposed to be part of the Federation and some of them were in on the take.

The important thing is not to assume these "monolithic" cultures. Just because there are a lot of Orions that are pirates by trade doesn't mean the whole planet is a den of theives that all steal constantly. Same thing about the Tellerites that were implicated by Sarek in that same episode, it doesn't mean that they were all involved, or it could have been sanctioned by the planetary government even though it was in violation of the Federation Charter.

I'd go with pale Orion. That sounds good to me, why does everybody have to be the same exact color. It's not as if we haven't seen a species that has more than one color in existence, right?
__________________
I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 07:08 PM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: Tamoon

We saw some pale Orions in TAS.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 12:52 PM   #14
LordMudd
Commander
 
Location: Pasadena, TX.
Re: Tamoon

I disagree with her being Orion. If she was, Chekov would not have been so nervous with her because he would have known she was. Orion females were well known to Pike (The Cage/The Menagerie), so would still be well known by Kirk's time. As for TAS, the yellow men/green women idea was contradicted in Enterprise, where the men were green too. They could be a sub group of Orion, like we saw with the Andorians in Enterprise, but would they not have the pheromone ability?

CCC.
__________________
The dirty old man of action figure customizing.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 03:35 PM   #15
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: Tamoon

LordMudd wrote: View Post
I disagree with her being Orion. If she was, Chekov would not have been so nervous with her because he would have known she was. Orion females were well known to Pike (The Cage/The Menagerie), so would still be well known by Kirk's time. As for TAS, the yellow men/green women idea was contradicted in Enterprise, where the men were green too. They could be a sub group of Orion, like we saw with the Andorians in Enterprise, but would they not have the pheromone ability?

CCC.
Marta didn't. The TAS male Orions were blue.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.