RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,105
Posts: 5,806,637
Members: 26,073
Currently online: 421
Newest member: Adam Garner

TrekToday headlines


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 24 2014, 06:56 PM   #76
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I like Xena as a character, and when the show is about her its usually good. I have three seasons of Xena on DVD, so I'm sure I got a lot of gabrielle to go. I intend to watch all of it, I just hope that, at some point, Gabrielle stops being a detriment and starts actually benefiting the show. It hasn't happened yet, but I'd like to be able to say "You know, gabrielle really helped this episode" someday.
Seeing where you are now, and what's coming up soon, I'm going to leave the above quote there. When you see how far the character grows, and what she is really capable of, you'll appreciate that quote a little more.

If it helps, there is at least one alternate timeline you will see in which Xena has enough of Gabby and just kills her on the spot. Fate is a wheel, it will reveal all you've become, all that you feel.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 07:37 PM   #77
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
Gabrielle is basically a 17 year old sheltered farm girl who is slowly coming of age in season 1, which I found more believable than having her start to swing a sword and fight like a swirling dervish by episode 7.

Death in Chains is a good example at how far Gabrielle's already come in this process, since Xena trusts her enough to leave her (and the young man) to care for the wounded while she rides off to help Death escape her captor. I don't remember the part about the King angering Zeus so he had to die. I thought it was just his vanity that he didn't EVER want to die, so he captured Celesta.

Like J'sG, I really like H&H... and the fact that even though they finally give Gabrielle a fighting staff, she ISN'T the most graceful person who ever wielded it. Yet!
Ah, but when she meets Joxer for the first time, she certainly wields it well!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 07:53 PM   #78
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Gabrielle doesn't need to fight. Salmoneus doesn't fight, and he's entertaining. She just needs to stop being a moron, and grow a personality that doesn't grate on my nerves. She's way too cocky, and doesn't deserve any of it. She is there to get Xena into trouble, and presumably to give viewers someone to hate more than the villain of the episode She isn't always annoying to the point that I want to see the villain get her, but when she is, Gabrielle is easily the most annoying thing in the Hercules/Xena universe so far.

Comparing it to Hercules's sidekicks, she isn't as interesting or as good a fighter as Iolaus, and she isn't entertaining like Salmoneus. If they want a comedy relief sidekick who "fights" with wit for Xena, that's fine, but she needs to be at least a little likeable, as opposed to being annoying and generally clueless.

As for Death in chains, Celesta specifically says that his death was a result of angering/offending Zeus. When it comes to Gabrielle, she was put in charge of the wounded probably because Xena knew she couldn't do anything to the dying worse than they were already suffering .

Also, Hooves and Harlots was not the first appearance of the Amazons in the hercules/Xena universe. That was Hercules and the Amazon Women, the first Hercules tV movie, and the Amazon group there were more interesting than the ones in the Xena episode. I mean, the Xena ones were ok, but a bit more goofy than the Hercules ones, although they are similar enough to probably be connected in some way (probably different groups in different areas).

I like Xena as a character, and when the show is about her its usually good. I have three seasons of Xena on DVD, so I'm sure I got a lot of gabrielle to go. I intend to watch all of it, I just hope that, at some point, Gabrielle stops being a detriment and starts actually benefiting the show. It hasn't happened yet, but I'd like to be able to say "You know, gabrielle really helped this episode" someday.
We've been telling you she gets better - grows up, learns to be a credible fighter in her own right, and goes through stuff that's every bit as intense as some of Xena's experiences... Just be patient.


Personally, I found Eve to be the most annoying character in Xena.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 08:32 PM   #79
kirk55555
Commodore
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

I think I'm being fairly patient. I'm still watching the episodes, and finding at least some stuff in the bad episodes enjoyable (well, except The Reckoning). I'm not even close to giving up on the show. I just needed to vent about Gabrielle I guess. I just do not understand why they went this route with her. A character can have growth without needing to start as someone you hate. She can be inexperienced without being annoying, they just didn't go that route, and the show is really suffering from it sometimes. I definitely don't like Gabrielle, but I'm willing to have my mind changed. I'm just not super thrilled that I have to wait until some nebulous point in the future of the show for that to happen
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 11:22 PM   #80
Janeway's Girl
Fleet Captain
 
Janeway's Girl's Avatar
 
Location: The Hellmouth
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Gabrielle doesn't need to fight. Salmoneus doesn't fight, and he's entertaining. She just needs to stop being a moron, and grow a personality that doesn't grate on my nerves. She's way too cocky, and doesn't deserve any of it. She is there to get Xena into trouble, and presumably to give viewers someone to hate more than the villain of the episode She isn't always annoying to the point that I want to see the villain get her, but when she is, Gabrielle is easily the most annoying thing in the Hercules/Xena universe so far.

Comparing it to Hercules's sidekicks, she isn't as interesting or as good a fighter as Iolaus, and she isn't entertaining like Salmoneus. If they want a comedy relief sidekick who "fights" with wit for Xena, that's fine, but she needs to be at least a little likeable, as opposed to being annoying and generally clueless.

As for Death in chains, Celesta specifically says that his death was a result of angering/offending Zeus. When it comes to Gabrielle, she was put in charge of the wounded probably because Xena knew she couldn't do anything to the dying worse than they were already suffering .

Also, Hooves and Harlots was not the first appearance of the Amazons in the hercules/Xena universe. That was Hercules and the Amazon Women, the first Hercules tV movie, and the Amazon group there were more interesting than the ones in the Xena episode. I mean, the Xena ones were ok, but a bit more goofy than the Hercules ones, although they are similar enough to probably be connected in some way (probably different groups in different areas).

I like Xena as a character, and when the show is about her its usually good. I have three seasons of Xena on DVD, so I'm sure I got a lot of gabrielle to go. I intend to watch all of it, I just hope that, at some point, Gabrielle stops being a detriment and starts actually benefiting the show. It hasn't happened yet, but I'd like to be able to say "You know, gabrielle really helped this episode" someday.
I meant that it was the first Amazon episode in Xena.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 11:25 PM   #81
Janeway's Girl
Fleet Captain
 
Janeway's Girl's Avatar
 
Location: The Hellmouth
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

Timewalker wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Gabrielle doesn't need to fight. Salmoneus doesn't fight, and he's entertaining. She just needs to stop being a moron, and grow a personality that doesn't grate on my nerves. She's way too cocky, and doesn't deserve any of it. She is there to get Xena into trouble, and presumably to give viewers someone to hate more than the villain of the episode She isn't always annoying to the point that I want to see the villain get her, but when she is, Gabrielle is easily the most annoying thing in the Hercules/Xena universe so far.

Comparing it to Hercules's sidekicks, she isn't as interesting or as good a fighter as Iolaus, and she isn't entertaining like Salmoneus. If they want a comedy relief sidekick who "fights" with wit for Xena, that's fine, but she needs to be at least a little likeable, as opposed to being annoying and generally clueless.

As for Death in chains, Celesta specifically says that his death was a result of angering/offending Zeus. When it comes to Gabrielle, she was put in charge of the wounded probably because Xena knew she couldn't do anything to the dying worse than they were already suffering .

Also, Hooves and Harlots was not the first appearance of the Amazons in the hercules/Xena universe. That was Hercules and the Amazon Women, the first Hercules tV movie, and the Amazon group there were more interesting than the ones in the Xena episode. I mean, the Xena ones were ok, but a bit more goofy than the Hercules ones, although they are similar enough to probably be connected in some way (probably different groups in different areas).

I like Xena as a character, and when the show is about her its usually good. I have three seasons of Xena on DVD, so I'm sure I got a lot of gabrielle to go. I intend to watch all of it, I just hope that, at some point, Gabrielle stops being a detriment and starts actually benefiting the show. It hasn't happened yet, but I'd like to be able to say "You know, gabrielle really helped this episode" someday.
We've been telling you she gets better - grows up, learns to be a credible fighter in her own right, and goes through stuff that's every bit as intense as some of Xena's experiences... Just be patient.


Personally, I found Eve to be the most annoying character in Xena.
I also disliked Eve. More so because I didn't like the 25 year jump into the future.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 03:08 AM   #82
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Personally, I found Eve to be the most annoying character in Xena.
Really?

I thought season 5's Mavicam and season 6's Varia were much more annoying.
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 03:17 AM   #83
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I think I'm being fairly patient. I'm still watching the episodes, and finding at least some stuff in the bad episodes enjoyable (well, except The Reckoning). I'm not even close to giving up on the show. I just needed to vent about Gabrielle I guess. I just do not understand why they went this route with her. A character can have growth without needing to start as someone you hate. She can be inexperienced without being annoying, they just didn't go that route, and the show is really suffering from it sometimes. I definitely don't like Gabrielle, but I'm willing to have my mind changed. I'm just not super thrilled that I have to wait until some nebulous point in the future of the show for that to happen
I feel your pain. As others say, they do have her learn to fight and learn from Xena, however, it always felt like attachments to the underlying 'Annoying Girl' in the way her becoming an Amazon Princess was. Whatever she learned just didn't seem to gel or come from the character in any way that felt a natural development. I could never imagine why Xena would put up with her. Joxer was more believable as a soulmate for Xena.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 03:20 AM   #84
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Personally, I found Eve to be the most annoying character in Xena.
Agreed. I don't know what the writers were thinking with her.

__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 03:33 AM   #85
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

...I could never imagine why Xena would put up with her...
Honestly?

Gabrielle was the teenager Xena never got to be. I think that was one of the reasons why Xena so jealously guarded Gabrielle's blood innocence.

Not only was she a way to relive Xena teen years without the evil overlay, the teen was a breath of fresh air for the former warlord since Gabrielle wasn't afraid of Xena the way all the villagers were whenever they rode into town.

Gabrielle made Xena smile and laugh and distracted her from the impossible mission Xena set for her life.

What else could a former marauder want in a sidekick?
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 03:39 AM   #86
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
...I could never imagine why Xena would put up with her...
Honestly?

Gabrielle was the teenager Xena never got to be. I think that was one of the reasons why Xena so jealously guarded Gabrielle's blood innocence.

Not only was she a way to relive Xena teen years without the evil overlay, the teen was a breath of fresh air for the former warlord since Gabrielle wasn't afraid of Xena the way all the villagers were whenever they rode into town.

Gabrielle made Xena smile and laugh and distracted her from the impossible mission Xena set for her life.

What else could a former marauder want in a sidekick?
Honestly and for truly. The character never worked for me. I truly thought 'Yes, About Time!' at that scene in Bitter Suite. Given the darkness of Xena's world, the Panglossian optimism of Gabrielle was irksome. She always felt like a character that should be on Hercules with its more winsome view of heroes and life rather than Xena.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 09:20 PM   #87
Janeway's Girl
Fleet Captain
 
Janeway's Girl's Avatar
 
Location: The Hellmouth
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

What is your opinion of Joxer? I know he was used for comic relief and was a terrible klutz but I loved him! Sometimes I liked him more than Gabrielle.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 09:53 PM   #88
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain
 
M.A.C.O.'s Avatar
 
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

Xena and Star Trek has met before



M.A.C.O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 11:23 PM   #89
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

Janeway's Girl wrote: View Post
What is your opinion of Joxer? I know he was used for comic relief and was a terrible klutz but I loved him! Sometimes I liked him more than Gabrielle.
I liked Joxer. As occasional comic relief he was fine. He seemed for Xena to be like the brother she'd lost in a lot of ways.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 12:44 AM   #90
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Hercules/Xena (Spoilers)

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Xena and Star Trek has met before


I love it when Jeri knocks on the armor plating and Lucy claims "Its the only way I can compete (with Jeri)."

Love this Xena/SW's/STV/BSG crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o4U_u1_JKk

Xena Year 3000.



There was a Xena/Janeway video at one time, but alas it got deleted years ago.

I think its time for the boys (or Amy Farrah Fowler) on TBBT to start fantasizing about Xena:WP since they've already done the Star Trek and nuBSG thing to death.
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.