Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old February 17 2015, 05:31 PM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

X-Men films: where do we go from here?

I just watched DOFP last night for the first time since seeing it in theaters. I think it's a wonderful movie and easily the best X-Men film since X2.

What I really like about it is the way it manages combine the story from "First Class" with the story from the original X-Men trilogy. It acts as a sequel to both, providing a sense of closure for the "old" X-Men while opening up a whole new alternate timeline for the "young" X-Men.

While many people were unhappy with the focus that Wolverine received in all of these films, I personally like it. Ensembles are great, but I think you ultimately still need one main character to drive a story, and Wolverine being the newcomer to the X-Men in the first movie makes him the perfect candidate.

That said, I think DOFP wrapped up his story nicely. After years of struggle and loss, he is given an opportunity to save the world, and in the process, he manages to save all the people he loves. When he walks into the Professor's office and sees Jean Grey standing there, alive and well...I have to say, I've rarely gotten so excited by a scene in a movie.

Now, here's the thing. They've recast the X-Men roles for "Apocalypse." We have a brand new Cyclops, Jean, and Storm. Does this mean the "old" crew can retire from these roles? Are we done seeing stories in the present day? I personally feel like DOFP wrapped up Wolverine's story perfectly, and yet I know "Wolverine 3" is in the early stages of being made. I've been happy to watch his journey up until this point, but I really don't think there's much more story to tell. He got his happy ending; let's leave him be.
Old February 17 2015, 05:33 PM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: X-Men films: where do we go from here?

Crap! Cam somebody move this to the proper forum?
Old February 17 2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Timelord Victorious
Rear Admiral

I was about to say: Where do we go from here? How about to the right forum!

I think the main story will be told with the younger cast from now on while Wolverine will get at least one more solo movie with rumors of that one being a team-up with Patrick Stewart's Professor X.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2015, 07:14 PM   #4
{ Emilia }
Light my fire

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Crap! Cam somebody move this to the proper forum?
Moved.
Old February 17 2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Dales
Commander

as long as xmen does not go back to marvel, I would be happy. DOFP is one of the best superhero film of the last decade. so much better than the dark knight and all the marvel Disney films.

I think with DOFP singer was trying to send a message that xmen does not need MCU and he proved me right. MCU just looks so childish when you compare it to XMEN DOFP and most of the xmen films done by singer.

singer seems to favour story and character dialogue far more than action scenes and explosions , I cant say the same for MCU films and this is why I wan xmen to go forward and stay with fox and not return to marvel.
Dales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2015, 10:07 PM   #6
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Fox finally gets wise and sells the rights to Disney for a fuckton.
Old February 17 2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Jedi_Master
Vice Admiral

To infinity...and beyond.
Old February 17 2015, 10:24 PM   #8
Gaith
Vice Admiral

Where do the X-films go from here? In this case, the obvious answer is also the correct one:

... Okay, but seriously, I pretty much agree with you, RoJoHen. I liked The Wolverine fine in the theater, but then tried to watch it again half a year later and gave up in boredom; it's just not that good. And another solo Wolvie movie is a weird proposition at this point - does it precede the DOFP future sequences and time reset? Because if not, and it takes place in the present day of the reset timeline, that's a lot of potential continuity baggage to saddle the FC generation with. I don't mind giving him one last ensemble role (and maybe even heroic death?) in Apocalypse, because I find him far more interesting being the rogue part of a team than either a responsible team leader (The Last Stand) or noble solo do-gooder with a merely mild case of attitude (XMO:W, TW), but I'm not much interested in another one-off solo outing, especially if Yukio isn't tagging along for pretty much all of it.

As for Apocalypse, it's definitely an immensely promising movie, and regardless of whether or not Singer remains in the director's seat, I hope he sticks around for a third phase of X-Men team movies, no doubt with more comic book flair and weirdness than Singer's first phase. (I have no complaints with the black leather wardrobe of the first three movies, which was absolutely the right style for that time in pop culture, but there's no need to go back to it this time around.)

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
You seem to be unclear on the basic principles of marketplace economics. If your product is selling strongly, and essentially can't be replaced or duplicated by a competitor, you keep on keeping on until said product stops bringing in great returns, and then you consider cashing out.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2015, 12:21 AM   #9
Masiral
Captain

Gaith wrote: View Post
and essentially can't be replaced or duplicated by a competitor
Except it can be replaced or duplicated - Marvel already has the Inhumans lined up to replace the X-Men. Not to mention every other superhero movie.

I don't think it's likely that Fox will sell X-Men back to Marvel - they already lost Star Wars to Disney, they're not going to give up another guaranteed earner.
Masiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2015, 12:26 AM   #10
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Masiral wrote: View Post
I don't think it's likely that Fox will sell X-Men back to Marvel - they already lost Star Wars to Disney, they're not going to give up another guaranteed earner.
Any adjustment in the contractual terms between Disney and Fox will likely involve an easing of the rules that Fox has to follow -- for example, currently Fox cannot make any X-Men merchandise, which really chafes when you have a mega-hit like Future Past -- in exchange for Disney being allowed to distribute Star Wars: A New Hope on home video (the rights to which Fox owns in perpetuity).
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2015, 12:31 AM   #11
Lexx Shrapnel
Lieutenant Commander

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Why would you want it as fan? They have the Inhumans which is similar but different. No need for an another bloody reboot.
Lexx Shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2015, 12:45 AM   #12
JWPlatt
Captain

To be honest, X-Men never made any sense to me. It's an oxymoron. The differentiation for men comes in on the Y chromosome, genetically speaking. Maybe as the next step they should move on to the Y-Men. But with a cast that has always included females, they should just skip X and Y and go straight to a less sexist and more inclusive XXY-People.
Old February 18 2015, 12:54 AM   #13
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Dales wrote: View Post
MCU just looks so childish when you compare it to XMEN DOFP and most of the xmen films done by singer.
So, just for example, Winter Soldier was childish ?

I'm sorry, you've lost me with that. DOFP was great, but we're not eight. It's possible to like both...
Old February 18 2015, 12:57 AM   #14
Lexx Shrapnel
Lieutenant Commander

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Dales wrote: View Post
MCU just looks so childish when you compare it to XMEN DOFP and most of the xmen films done by singer.
So, just for example, Winter Soldier was childish ?

I'm sorry, you've lost me with that. DOFP was great, but we're not eight. It's possible to like both...
The central theme/themes of the X movies is more serious and nuanced.
Lexx Shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2015, 01:28 AM   #15
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

MCU film's don't have a central theme.

Guardians was a space romp, Winter Soldier was a darkish espionage story, Doctor Strange wil be a supernatural film. They're all connected, but different.

X- Men has a consistantly darker tone, but it's all the same series. You'd be better comparing it to one of the MCU series, not the whole MCU...