Vulcan Nimoy Tribute
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Pegg Writing Kickass Role For Elba
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Galaxy Quest To Become A Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Mulgrew On Voyager Twentieth Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 20 2014, 07:05 PM   #31
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 1966 Batman series on Blu-ray and DVD November 2014 discussion

Christopher wrote: View Post
Really, what I'd like to see is an origin story for the '66 version of Batman. It would be tricky to do well, and it'd have to be rather different from the way the origin is usually told today, but if done right, it could be cool to see a '66 version of how Bruce Wayne became Batman, how he acquired Dick/Robin as his ward and sidekick, how he began his relationship with the Gotham PD and won Commissioner Gordon's undying admiration, and who the first villain he confronted was.
Oooh, I like that idea. I didn't know I wanted that until this very moment.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 09:13 PM   #32
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Janus VI wrote: View Post
I really want this collection but the deal breaker for me will be if the set are original run episodes or syndicated edits.
Allegedly, at this year's Comic Con, Ralph Garman (co-author of the current Batman / Green Hornet crossover comic) will be on a panel discussing the release of the series, including details on whether or not the episodes are complete, broadcast versions.
Old July 21 2014, 12:01 AM   #33
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

I'd like the '66 Batman series to adapt Harlan Ellison's unfilmed Two-Face episode, similar to what IDW is doing with its City on the Edge of Forever comic adaptation.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 12:10 AM   #34
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Really, what I'd like to see is an origin story for the '66 version of Batman. It would be tricky to do well, and it'd have to be rather different from the way the origin is usually told today, but if done right, it could be cool to see a '66 version of how Bruce Wayne became Batman, how he acquired Dick/Robin as his ward and sidekick, how he began his relationship with the Gotham PD and won Commissioner Gordon's undying admiration, and who the first villain he confronted was.
I wanted that when I tuned into the first episode but they just jumped right into the action.

I got the first few issues of the printed version of the new comic but haven't read them yet. Nice to hear that Harley Quinn made an appearance. If they ever do Bane or Knightfall, I'm in. Now that would be something.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 12:51 AM   #35
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
If they ever do Bane or Knightfall, I'm in. Now that would be something.
In the light, comedic, Silver-Agey Batman '66? Please, no. Well, only if they found some way to reinterpret Bane as a more flamboyant, Silver Age-style supervillain, maybe a pastiche of those luchador heroes from cheesy Mexican movies of the '60s, who brought together a bunch of the show's villains to tag-team Batman and Robin a la the feature film, only bigger. And only if the back-breaking move were redone as an elaborate death-trap machine that Batman and Robin were both caught in but managed to escape from by some brilliant, desperate gambit at the start of part 2.

Still, I'd be reluctant. The thing about Knightfall is that it's an emphatically 1990s story. The whole thing, IIRC, was basically Dennis O'Neill's critique of ultraviolent '90s antiheroes (and their ridiculously overthought costumes) and the idea in fandom that Batman needed to become a ruthless killer to stay relevant, by replacing Batman with the most extreme '90s antihero version possible and showing why that was a terrible, terrible way to be Batman. So that's a story that belongs to the '90s. Batman '66 is about paying homage to the way Batman was in the '60s. I want to see stories that are appropriate to that era, that capture the lunacy and creativity of the Silver Age comics as well as the Adam West series. Less Bane and Azrael, more Killer Moth and Calendar Man. Basically not unlike the approach of Batman: The Brave and the Bold (which incorporated cameos by many of the '66 show's villains and reused some of its elements, to the extent that some fans even consider it a direct sequel).
Old July 21 2014, 01:03 AM   #36
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ And therein lies the challenge. How do you re-imagine Bane/Knightfall so that it works with Batman '66? Looks like you've got some ideas already. Never thought about it until I saw the comment about Harley Quinn's inclusion.

As for how the 90s story came about, I figured it was just something meant to shake up the status quo, get people into comics again and possibly introduce a new Batman if the public took to it.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 01:23 AM   #37
Christopher
Writer

As for how the 90s story came about, I figured it was just something meant to shake up the status quo, get people into comics again and possibly introduce a new Batman if the public took to it.
Nope.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...evealed-449/2/
DO: No, We had most of the series, and particularly its length, planned from the git-go. Actually, I would have been more bothered if the readers liked Az–that would mean they favored a nastier Batman and I would have had problems with that.
The whole point of the storyline was to show that Bruce Wayne “had” to be Batman and that someone like Azrael just wouldn’t work in the cowl.
(Worth reading the other two pages of the linked article too.
Old July 21 2014, 03:38 AM   #38
DWF
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Batman's origin is IMO too tragic to be done in a campy way, the tone William Doze set up was far too light for something like that.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 06:14 AM   #39
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Yet Bruce did mention in the TV show that his parents were murdered by "dastardly criminals".
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 06:26 AM   #40
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Batman's origin is IMO too tragic to be done in a campy way, the tone William Doze set up was far too light for something like that.
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Yet Bruce did mention in the TV show that his parents were murdered by "dastardly criminals".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFEZDQI4G1Y
At the 3:00 mark, and it does come off kind of campy the way it's delivered.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 09:45 AM   #41
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Ovation wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
This is great news and I will definitely be getting it-- sooner or later, depending on the cost.

I bailed on mainstream comics during Civil War. What is Batman '66?
It's a weekly digital comic that is set in the TV show's continuity. You can easily imagine them as comprehensive storyboards for unaired episodes. Hell, whenever Joker appears, he's drawn so much like Cesar Romero that the artists even include the moustache he refused to shave under the face paint. If you're a fan of the show, you cannot help being a fan of the comic. There is also a monthly digital comic of Batman '66 teaming up with The Green Hornet, done in the same way.
Interesting. Is this a DC production or fanfic? Do you have a link to it?
Old July 21 2014, 01:12 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

^It's an official DC comic produced by their digital-first division, although there is a trade paperback collection coming soon. The Green Hornet crossover is written by Kevin Smith (the director), who's written a number of GH comics before.
Old July 21 2014, 02:40 PM   #43
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

^ And therein lies the challenge. How do you re-imagine Bane/Knightfall so that it works with Batman '66? Looks like you've got some ideas already. Never thought about it until I saw the comment about Harley Quinn's inclusion.
I can see some ways of making Jean-Paul Valley work in a Batman '66 context. I'm thinking The Phantom crossed with Dick Lester's The Three Musketeers. But that would be purely in his Azrael guise. A quippy, lighthearted, sword-wielding French hero.

The whole Az-Bats thing, though, I don't see how it would work, unless you went an Alan Moore route and the point of the story was to show that the campiness was a narrative dead end and to be viable and relevant the series needed to grow up. Which is not what Batman '66 is about.

If I have a dream Batman '66 story, it would be to show Batman/Planetary: Night on Earth from the Adam West Batman's point of view and give his scene some context. I'm curious how West's Batman viewed Jakita Wagner. Maybe Warren Ellis would have run writing something like that.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 05:42 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

I'd just like to see a '66 take on Two-Face. He's the biggest (pre-existing) rogue who never showed up on the series, which is probably largely because he hadn't been seen in the comics since 1952 (not being one of the classic villains that Julius Schwartz had reintroduced to the comic to provide material for the show), but also perhaps because the makeup would've been too expensive or too shocking for the era. But the comic wouldn't have those restrictions. And Two-Face's duality obsession would've been a perfect fit for the '66 series with its themed villains constantly dropping clues that fit their obsessions. ("That's it, Robin! 22 Janus Street -- Janus, the two-faced Roman god! That must be Two-Face's hideout!" "Holy reflections, Batman!") Although I've had the idea that the show could've done Two-Face if they'd gone the Phantom of the Opera route and put him in a half-mask with his scarred side never shown.

By the way, I recently heard a 1947 Superman radio episode in which Robin (a frequent guest, along with a really inept version of Batman) said "Holy smokes, Batman!" at one point. So Burt Ward wasn't the first to holy-ate. Although radio Robin's preferred oath, bizarrely, was "Christopher Columbus!"
Old July 21 2014, 07:05 PM   #45
mos6507
Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
The tone of the show was not entirely campy. It seemed to get increasingly campy as time went on (like having the running gag of the celebrities popping their heads out of windows when they were climbing buildings). At times the show was more of a traditional comic book grade good vs. evil show. Most of the scenes that take place in Wayne Manor or the batcave, like where they are decoding riddles or predicting the next move of the villain, are played 100% straight. If you just saw those scenes and nothing else, Batman would seem to be at least as serious as, let's say, the Superfriends type of kiddie storytelling.