No Quinto In Heroes Reborn
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Pine Responds To Pegg Writer Announcement
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 1 2014, 10:06 PM   #1
xavier
Commander

If Star Trek Into Darkness was based on the loss of Vulcan...

Would you have preferred that to the Khan storyline?

In Star Trek 2009, Vucan was destroyed. I call it a fictional holocaust. 6 billion Vulcan were killed. Would anyone have preferred if the writers based the story of star trek into darkness on and of the loss of vulcan and the aftermath of it than them basing their story on partially wrath of khan?

For those who crave for them to continue a complete brand new original story like star trek 2009. I guess we would have welcomed it.

Perhaps the film would have been based on extreme Vulcans wanting revenge on Romulus with the federation and star fleet caught in between. It would also mean more Sarek. Sarek perhaps choosing to act out of emotion on the loss of Vulcan because of Amanda's death. For some weird reason I really wanted to see Sarek again.

Also we could have had a different Kirk and Spock conflict, instead of the whole:

I thought we are friends, why did you betray me....okay lets re act our death scene from Wrath of Khan despite the fact we have only know each other for 6 months while our TOS counterparts knew each other and have been friends for years and you ...TOS Spock would be dead with an emotional funeral, while I, AOS Kirk will be dead for only 5 minutes but hey..... we need that wrath of khan homage right here and right now. so lets go.

That was pretty much the story of Star Trek Into Darkness.

In reality, I would have loved to see Kirk and Spock struggling and sharing their different ethical veiws on how to handle a Vulcan and Romulus war. Spock obviously showing his human side at the loss of his people and maybe wanting revenge. That also would have given Spock more human emotional depth than him screaming Khannnnnnnnnn.

More importantly , Kirk will find some sort of resolution for both the Vulcan and Romulus people and there by earning the captain's chair. It would also mean more character interaction (which is the heart of star trek) than action, action, action.

This is what I wished for star trek into darkness after how magnificent star trek 2009 was.

The writers had so many opportunities. I will never understand why they partially remade Wrath of Khan.

I would have loved to see an original story in Into Darkness where the surviving Vulcans and the Romulus empire take center stage instead of a one dimensional Khan.

It makes a lot of sense now to the writers because in many of Orci's interviews people keep asking him if Star Trek 3 will have an original story.

I hope they go back and revisit the loss of Vulcan.

I always felt there needed to be a follow up story of blowing up Vulcan.it is the holocaust of star trek and that is just too huge to be swept under the rug.

Last edited by xavier; July 1 2014 at 10:43 PM.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 10:20 PM   #2
Smellmet
Captain

Re: If Star Trek Into Darkness was based on the loss of Vulcan...

I wouldn't have minded that at all, some of my favorite Trek comes from the political differences between races and the conflict that arises from it. DS9 in particular was very good at this.

Who knows, maybe some element of this may be incorporated into the next movie, like you said it's too big a deal for the Federation for it to be ignored.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 10:57 PM   #3
xavier
Commander

Smellmet wrote: View Post
I wouldn't have minded that at all, some of my favorite Trek comes from the political differences between races and the conflict that arises from it. DS9 in particular was very good at this.

Who knows, maybe some element of this may be incorporated into the next movie, like you said it's too big a deal for the Federation for it to be ignored.
Yes exactly and it is one of the reason why I felt star trek (tng and ds9) had more depth than star wars.

Remember in star wars, princess leia planet was blown up in a new hope and that was all forgotten. Leia did not even shed a tear or show any emotional hurt as the films progressed.

If it was in a traditional trek film or series there would have been lots of conflicts, huge aftermath, political and social discussion on the issue but nu trek has taken the star wars root, they have swept it under the rug and have favored action action action over story.

Honestly seeing a bunch of angry Vulcan and Romulians who will be up on their guards of an impending attack on their planet and a possible federation betrayal in favor of the surviving Vulcan due to sympathy would have been way better than seeing NU Khan especially when this NU Khan has no history with Kirk, Spock or the Enterprise like TOS Khan did.

Urgh...this wasted potential that was Star Trek Into Darkness.

Last edited by xavier; July 1 2014 at 11:12 PM.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 11:03 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I don't care about the Vulcans. It was a plot point to drive Spock's actions.
Old July 1 2014, 11:16 PM   #5
Franklin
Rear Admiral

STID was an original story and not even a partial remake of anything. Just because Khan was in it, it was no more TWOK than "The Dark Knight" was partially Tim Burton's "Batman" just because the Joker was the villain, again.

We saw plenty of character interaction in STID. And why is, "action, action, action," a bad thing? Big budget summer movies are not about talking heads.

I don't want to come off as snarky, but sorry the writers didn't make the story you wanted. That happens.
Old July 1 2014, 11:18 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post

We saw plenty of character interaction in STID. And why is, "action, action, action," a bad thing?
After seeing Transformers 4, I laugh at people who use "action, action, action" to describe Star Trek Into Darkness.
Old July 2 2014, 12:16 AM   #7
wulfio
Captain

I`d prefer they consult Ronald Moore on trek. I`m not a fan of the reboots whatsoever.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 12:20 AM   #8
CorporalClegg
Admiral

wulfio wrote: View Post
I`d prefer they consult Ronald Moore on trek.
I'd prefer they didn't.
Old July 2 2014, 12:25 AM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

I`d prefer they consult Ronald Moore on trek. I`m not a fan of the reboots whatsoever.
The further away from Trek Ron Moore is, the better I feel.
Old July 2 2014, 01:20 AM   #10
wulfio
Captain

That`s odd. Considering his departure from Trek coincided with the downfall of it.
Old July 2 2014, 01:25 AM   #11
CorporalClegg
Admiral

The downfall started long before he left.
Old July 2 2014, 01:30 AM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

That`s odd. Considering his departure from Trek coincided with the downfall of it.
I'm just not as in love with his work as some folks around here. I found him to be mediocre at best. YMMV.
Old July 2 2014, 01:41 AM   #13
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Yes. And I'll take lens flares over excessive shaky cam any day.
Old July 2 2014, 01:42 AM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Yes. And I'll take lens flares over excessive shaky cam any day.
+1
Old July 2 2014, 01:52 AM   #15
wulfio
Captain

I don`t think comparing production values from an 80s/90s tv show with a 2009 $100+ million blockbuster feature film is really being objective...

But considering lens flares = lets play melodic atmospheric music instead of telling a story for Abrams. I`ll take the occasional shaky cam.