IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 6 2014, 12:35 PM   #16
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

Re: STARSHIP VALIANT: LEGACY -NOW ONLINE

i really liked that.

its nice to see some tos-era stuff that isn't trying to exactly duplicate that original series feel.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

Last edited by Rusty Nova; July 6 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 03:39 PM   #17
CaptainSerek
Commander

View CaptainSerek's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to CaptainSerek Send a message via AIM to CaptainSerek Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CaptainSerek Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainSerek

I watched it yesterday. I enjoyed it. I look forward to a full episode to see how it plays.
Old July 6 2014, 05:07 PM   #18
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to future installments.

Avon wrote: View Post
i really liked that.

its nice to see some tos-era stuff that isn't trying to exactly duplicate that original series feel.
Then you should check out every TOS-era fan film other than STC.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 06:50 PM   #19
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

well of what i've watched most recently, i think continues, p2 and exeter all had that feel to various extents. not that i'm saying theres anything wrong with it. exeter was particularly excellent. this just felt a bit more modern and downbeat, which i like.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 07:47 PM   #20
Phantassm
Vice Admiral

Duane wrote: View Post
I don't have much to add to the other comments made here, but I do agree with Father Rob the the First Officer's performance was outstanding. I'm guessing the actor has a lot of experience?
Duane,
the first officer was played by Michael L. King and no, he had never acted in anything before this. Fresh out of the drydock. What he wanted to do with the character and what he felt had been missing from many characters in trek fan films was the humanization of the people. He wanted to develop Jackson and make him as real as possible. What we did have was a brilliant acting coach named Ben Richardson who worked hard to help and assist us in playing the roles. The most important thing in the story was for us to make the people as real as possible and that was the focal point of this film. Thank you for watching and we appreciate your comments.
Old July 7 2014, 08:06 AM   #21
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

First off, congrats on getting a film finished. Never an easy task. Reaching "the end" is always a lot of work.

I liked that it wasn't a lily white cast. I liked that a lot.

One question: is there a reason we never see the actors together outside of the opening scene? It's all singles or "dirty" OTS( Over The Shoulder) shots thereafter. We never see any two shots or any other shot where we can see two faces at once, which robs very personal dialogs of their intimacy. Were the actors shot at different times?

Some of the lighting and shots were very nice, and then some others were weirdly flat by comparison, especially on the bridge.

The rest is offered as constructive feedback. And some of my reactions reflect some of those in posts above.

The pacing is far too drawn out. Too many shots of Jack pacing around, looking whistful. There are more effective ways to convey his melancholy and lack of direction that showing him sighing and thinking deep thoughts.

There's too much dialog. Most of the conversations are overlong and drawn out. Screenwriting requires the illusion of natural speech, but people in film and TV are much more succinct than in the real world.

The overlong dialogs are not helped by the amount of repetition. We keep being told the same things over and over again in scene after scene. Once the audience knows something, take it as writ and don't repeat it. Example: we should only hear about Jack's father's death once, so when Jack is at the tombstone you could have had zero dialog, then have his daughter reveal what happened when she confronts him. This would add punch to their confrontation because we learn how fresh this is at the same time she is expressing it...it puts us THERE instead of at arm's length.

re Jack's dilemma: any officer who is showing signs of indecision and remorse and turning down a promotion because of it is a candidate for counseling, not command. The Admiral's insistence even in the face of his concerns makes me think she's not qualified to hold her rank.

Finally, a note about the opening: when in a life or death emergency and obviously short-handed, the officer in charge should be actively manning a station, not sitting in the big chair where s/he can't do anything but bark orders. It undermines the danger and immediacy of the emergency.

Again, congrats on finishing!
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 08:31 AM   #22
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maurice wrote: View Post
First off, congrats on getting a film finished. Never an easy task. Reaching "the end" is always a lot of work.
Didn't Stanley Kubrick once proclaim that movies are never actually finished but only abandoned?
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 08:42 AM   #23
Phantassm
Vice Admiral

I liked that it wasn't a lily white cast. I liked that a lot.

One question: is there a reason we never see the actors together outside of the opening scene? It's all singles or "dirty" OTS( Over The Shoulder) shots thereafter. We never see any two shots or any other shot where we can see two faces at once, which robs very personal dialogs of their intimacy. Were the actors shot at different times?

Some of the lighting and shots were very nice, and then some others were weirdly flat by comparison, especially on the bridge.

The rest is offered as constructive feedback. And some of my reactions reflect some of those in posts above.

The pacing is far too drawn out. Too many shots of Jack pacing around, looking whistful. There are more effective ways to convey his melancholy and lack of direction that showing him sighing and thinking deep thoughts.

There's too much dialog. Most of the conversations are overlong and drawn out. Screenwriting requires the illusion of natural speech, but people in film and TV are much more succinct than in the real world.

The overlong dialogs are not helped by the amount of repetition. We keep being told the same things over and over again in scene after scene. Once the audience knows something, take it as writ and don't repeat it. Example: we should only hear about Jack's father's death once, so when Jack is at the tombstone you could have had zero dialog, then have his daughter reveal what happened when she confronts him. This would add punch to their confrontation because we learn how fresh this is at the same time she is expressing it...it puts us THERE instead of at arm's length.

re Jack's dilemma: any officer who is showing signs of indecision and remorse and turning down a promotion because of it is a candidate for counseling, not command. The Admiral's insistence even in the face of his concerns makes me think she's not qualified to hold her rank.

Finally, a note about the opening: when in a life or death emergency and obviously short-handed, the officer in charge should be actively manning a station, not sitting in the big chair where s/he can't do anything but bark orders. It undermines the danger and immediacy of the emergency.

Again, congrats on finishing!
Thank you Maurice for the thoughtful comments. We are very open to reading what people think, as it helps us to evaluate and see what works and does not. I was actually looking forward to reading your observations. The Admiral and Jack's relationship was not really expanded on in the film but will be explored in the next episode to some degree. This will provide some insight as to why she was so insistent. Again, thank you for your observations. We appreciate all you guys telling us what you think and hope as time goes on to get better and better at it. To answer your first question, this was the choice of our director as far as camera angles go but being our first film, we were on a learning curve so I am sure as the next episode rolls around our production will get better. Thank you for watching.
Old July 7 2014, 08:54 AM   #24
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

JJTrek4ever! wrote: View Post
Didn't Stanley Kubrick once proclaim that movies are never actually finished but only abandoned?
Publications attribute this quote to Leonardo da Vinci and Picaso, but there's no actual confirmed origin. But, in Latin it would be something like Ars nunquam perficitur modo relinquitur.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 08:57 AM   #25
Phantassm
Vice Admiral

One question: is this meant to take place close to "The Motion Picture?" I ask in light of the closing credits playing over Goldsmith's iconic score.[/QUOTE]

Hello,
Legacy actually takes place around the 4th season of the original series. That particular piece of music was actually chosen by our director in honor of the passing of Jerry Goldsmith as he had meant so much to him and the Executive Producer. We also felt that the theme served as a powerful prelude to the adventure to come.
Old July 7 2014, 04:28 PM   #26
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

According to my records, this coincides with year 3 of TOS. http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/42.html
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 05:58 PM   #27
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

I will finish watching tonight, but I'm really enjoying this! I like how the look of the people in civilian clothes looks like it could be any time, but fitting comfortably in the 23rd Century.

BTW, is that a Connie I see on the hutch at about 3:00 into the video?
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 07:24 PM   #28
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I watched "Legacy" last night and have a longer review in the works, but for now I want to start by congratulating Michael L. King and Brady Foster on completing this first film in what I'm sure we all hope will be a long successful line of films in the Starship Valiant series. I do have some quibbles but I enjoyed the show, which is really all I want out of fan films. I'll post more this afternoon, but for now congrats! Looking forward to Episode #2.
Old July 7 2014, 11:30 PM   #29
Phantassm
Vice Admiral

BTW, is that a Connie I see on the hutch at about 3:00 into the video?

Yes, it was actually a model of the USS Enterprise but Brady manipulated the name and registry number to make it the USS Valiant.
Old July 7 2014, 11:32 PM   #30
Phantassm
Vice Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I watched "Legacy" last night and have a longer review in the works, but for now I want to start by congratulating Michael L. King and Brady Foster on completing this first film in what I'm sure we all hope will be a long successful line of films in the Starship Valiant series. I do have some quibbles but I enjoyed the show, which is really all I want out of fan films. I'll post more this afternoon, but for now congrats! Looking forward to Episode #2.
Thank you sir. This was our fledgling outing and overall we are happy with what we were able to accomplish but as always we do have room to grow and improve. The biggest hindrance for us was of course money as we practically had a zero budget and everything came out of pocket. Looking forward to your thoughts...