Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Sarah Carter
Thumbs Up 60 84.51%
Thumbs Down 3 4.23%
Thumbs Sideways 8 11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 14 2014, 07:21 PM   #46
Jedi_Master
Commodore

Re: Sarah Carter: Babe of the Week #22 (July 2014)

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
I do wonder how the fellows who comment consistently on the size of a woman's tatas would feel if someone was basing their opinion of THEM on the size of their penis?

"He has eyes?"
I'd be happy to answer...as soon as one of the subjects of these threads explains logically why she joined a profession that practically guarantees she'd be scrutinized that way if she doesn't want to be scrutinized that way.
Chuckle. So you think that women should not join the entertainment industry unless they are willing to allow anyone to make any kind of comment about their bodies and accept those comments, and the attitudes behind them as a "cost of doing business"?

In addition, who's fault is it that demeaning comments are made about a woman's body? Is it the fault of the woman, or the person who made the comment? Should a woman who is in the public eye be forced to cover her entire body so that no one will have justification for demeaning and misogynistic comments? Are we as men so lacking in self control that we cannot abstain from making inappropriate comments about a woman? Are we so lost, so out touch that we cannot help but make value judgments about a woman,her intelligence, and her worth to society based solely on the size of her mammary glands, the size and shape of her butt, the shape of her legs, etc?

Here is how that stance breaks down

1)Attractive woman is a celebrity.
2) She is fair game to any comment because she in public eye.
3) If she didn't want man to say mean things, she should have been something else.
4) Man can't help but say nasty things- so it not man fault attractive woman be celebrity.
5) Man can't help but judge woman on boob size, 'cause he man.
Old July 14 2014, 07:24 PM   #47
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I see these threads are keeping up their grand tradition of appreciating women's enormous contributions to the arts, rather than reducing them to basic physical characteristics we can then comment on in regard to how they impact sexual desirability--a judgment the thread neatly allows one to summarize with a simple ternary choice.
Old July 14 2014, 07:27 PM   #48
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote:
reducing them to basic physical characteristics we can then comment on in regard to how they impact sexual desirability--
We have a winner. That's what we call objectification.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 07:29 PM   #49
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

I'd be happy to answer...as soon as one of the subjects of these threads explains logically why she joined a profession that practically guarantees she'd be scrutinized that way if she doesn't want to be scrutinized that way.
I guess, um, that's why we read discussions about the love muscles of male actors every so often, right?
Old July 14 2014, 07:31 PM   #50
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote:
reducing them to basic physical characteristics we can then comment on in regard to how they impact sexual desirability--
What do I win??

Never mind... I'm a straight white male. I've already won!

Old July 14 2014, 07:35 PM   #51
Jedi_Master
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote:
What do I win??

Never mind... I'm a straight white male. I've already won!

Bonus points! You win bonus points!

I still think you need to lose a little weight, that cellulite is a real turn off. Don't you think with all the money you make you could afford a trainer? Jeez, you get on the cover of a few magazines and you get lazy.
Old July 14 2014, 07:37 PM   #52
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Assuming for a moment this were a logically valid argument (It's not.), are you implying you've never--in your whole life--said something similar, thought something similar, or scrutinized in a similar manner a teacher, librarian, lawyer, doctor/nurse or the checkout girl at the grocery market?

I didn't think so.
Old July 14 2014, 07:38 PM   #53
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I do wonder how the fellows who comment consistently on the size of a woman's tatas would feel if someone was basing their opinion of THEM on the size of their penis?

"He has eyes?"
Say what? Where do you this idea from? Where's the rating thread for the truly large size Actresses? Or for the Aged Actressed, like Dame Maggie or Fionnula Flanigan or the Redgraves? Afterall, if being an Actress or Model means you are asking to be objectified what about the overweight and aged ones?

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Assuming for a moment this were a logically valid argument (It's not.), are you implying you've never--in your whole life--said something similar, thought something similar, or scrutinized in a similar manner a teacher, librarian, lawyer, doctor/nurse or the checkout girl at the grocery market?

I didn't think so.
Oh, please. Teacher, Librarian, Nurse, French Maid, they knew damned well those are like the top male fantasies when they took those jobs [/sarcasm]

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 07:41 PM   #54
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

"He has eyes?"
This reminds me of a famous exchange between a ballet dancer and a New York Times writer. After the writer mocked her weight in a review (which was totally healthy and lean, but comparatively more than many ballerinas) she went public about how common eating disorders are among ballerinas, and her own struggles, and called out the reporter on the problematic nature of his words. He responded, much like you, Admiral2 with a standard, "Well, if she didn't want her body scrutinized she shouldn't have joined a profession which"... blah blah blah misogynycakes. She responded with sheer perfection, pointing out that if the writer didn't want his opinion scrutinized, he shouldn't have published it.

You are certainly free to look at these women's bodies, judge them, rate them, and think all the teeny, limited things about them that you do, but when you publish it in a public forum, especially after it has been repeatedly called to your attention that it makes many of the female members of the forum uncomfortable, and typically devolves from lighthearted fun into outright sleaze fairly quickly, and contributes to ongoing issues with sexism on this board, are you really surprised that we'd call you out on your juvenile nonsense and mock you for it?

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 07:43 PM   #55
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
You are certainly free to look at these women's bodies, judge them, rate them, and think all the teeny, limited things about them that you do, but when you publish it in a public forum, especially after it has been repeatedly called to your attention that it makes many of the female members of the forum uncomfortable, and typically devolves from lighthearted fun into outright sleaze fairly quickly, and contributes to ongoing issues with sexism on this board, are you really surprised that we'd call you out on your juvenile nonsense and mock you for it?
This should be a disclaimer added to every BOTW thread.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 07:48 PM   #56
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I doubt one of the subjects of these threads will ever come to one of these threads, but if one of them did I doubt she'd get much in the way of constructive engagement out of you.

There are some people who can do this kind of conversation without being creepy and classless about it. And there are some people who can't. It's not exactly news that The Internet doesn't do mature commentary on beauty (esp. female beauty) all that well, but it's also not exactly news that not every place on the Internet is a bottom-feeding celebrity gossip blog.

So, basically it's worth having a good think about how these threads are making too many of the participants look, and about how eager are other Board members going to be to keep company with people who simply can't or won't clue themselves in about there being a certain amount of etiquette involved in talking about women and female beauty. Especially when this behaviour starts to crop up in totally unrelated threads, it creates a stronger and stronger incentive for more and more people to just say "enough."
Old July 14 2014, 07:52 PM   #57
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Wow, those are some pretty goddamn disgusting comments in the thread you linked, BigJake. Makes me glad I don't venture out of TNZ that much. Sheesh. Everyone making those sorts of comments should be ashamed and, if there were any justice, their Internet access would be permanently revoked.
Old July 14 2014, 08:00 PM   #58
Jedi_Master
Commodore

thestrangequark wrote: View Post

"He has eyes?"
This reminds me of a famous exchange between a ballet dancer and a New York Times writer. After the writer mocked her weight in a review (which was totally healthy and lean, but comparatively more than many ballerinas) she went public about how common eating disorders are among ballerinas, and her own struggles, and called out the reporter on the problematic nature of his words. He responded, much like you, Admiral2 with a standard, "Well, if she didn't want her body scrutinized she shouldn't have joined a profession which"... blah blah blah misogynycakes. She responded with sheer perfection, pointing out that if the writer didn't want his opinion scrutinized, he shouldn't have published it.

I have nothing more to add other than this:
A man who is small enough inside to blame someone else for his actions demeans himself. A man who attempts to infer that ALL men act like he does demeans every other man.
Old July 14 2014, 08:19 PM   #59
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Wow, those are some pretty goddamn disgusting comments in the thread you linked, BigJake. Makes me glad I don't venture out of TNZ that much. Sheesh. Everyone making those sorts of comments should be ashamed and, if there were any justice, their Internet access would be permanently revoked.
Yeah, I saw that this morning and just found it incredibly sad and embarrassing. I think Fremdscham is the precise term.
Old July 14 2014, 08:28 PM   #60
Manticore
Rear Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
I doubt one of the subjects of these threads will ever come to one of these threads, but if one of them did I doubt she'd get much in the way of constructive engagement out of you.

There are some people who can do this kind of conversation without being creepy and classless about it. And there are some people who can't. It's not exactly news that The Internet doesn't do mature commentary on beauty (esp. female beauty) all that well, but it's also not exactly news that not every place on the Internet is a bottom-feeding celebrity gossip blog.

So, basically it's worth having a good think about how these threads are making too many of the participants look, and about how eager are other Board members going to be to keep company with people who simply can't or won't clue themselves in about there being a certain amount of etiquette involved in talking about women and female beauty. Especially when this behaviour starts to crop up in totally unrelated threads, it creates a stronger and stronger incentive for more and more people to just say "enough."

+1

All that jazz. Nothing more needs to be said.