Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 16 2014, 05:15 AM   #361
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

I like the E but I understand the criticisms and I might even be inclined to say TPTB should have just kept the D because of its familiarity for fans and iconic value for general audiences.

One of the problems with the E was the structure of the TNG films themselves. We never really got to see the TNG crew on a prolonged adventure where they needed the E and it faithfully came through to save the day. We only got to see it in three films, whereas all other signature vessels (DS9 included) got enormously more screen time and grew on people through familiarity.

The best way to counter this would have been to plan out a story that spanned across two or three films following First Contact (like TWOK through TVH) with the E and Our Heroes more "out there" on their own, relying on the ship for success and survival. As it was, the E was more of a glorified prop and there was nothing in the stories that made it special on its own terms.

I don't agree that it's ugly, but we just never get to know her. No one ever brags on her or says how nice it is or how much they love her. It's just there as the TNG Movie Ship.
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 12:32 PM   #362
starburst
Fleet Captain

I really like the Enterprise E, ok so not as much as the Refit Enterprise but its far better looking than the Enterprise B (I'm an Excelsior fan).
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 06:40 PM   #363
Lance
Commodore

M-Red wrote: View Post
I like the E but I understand the criticisms and I might even be inclined to say TPTB should have just kept the D because of its familiarity for fans and iconic value for general audiences.

One of the problems with the E was the structure of the TNG films themselves. We never really got to see the TNG crew on a prolonged adventure where they needed the E and it faithfully came through to save the day. We only got to see it in three films, whereas all other signature vessels (DS9 included) got enormously more screen time and grew on people through familiarity.

The best way to counter this would have been to plan out a story that spanned across two or three films following First Contact (like TWOK through TVH) with the E and Our Heroes more "out there" on their own, relying on the ship for success and survival. As it was, the E was more of a glorified prop and there was nothing in the stories that made it special on its own terms.

I don't agree that it's ugly, but we just never get to know her. No one ever brags on her or says how nice it is or how much they love her. It's just there as the TNG Movie Ship.
Totally agree with this. My trouble with 1701-E is that it just feels like a placeholder ship in all three movies that it appeared in. For all its faults as a movie, I feel more of an attachment to events in GENS on the simple merit of it featuring a starship that I've grown to care about. I never felt like that about 1701-E. It was like the producers were trying to say "Hey, it's still the Enterprise, right?". But in my eyes, they never bothered to make it feel important to me that it was the Enterprise, they never really devoted any time to establishing it at all, it's just like 1701-E was there because it was expected to be there, and there was no emotional connection to that ship beyond her name. It's like they just didn't care.
Lance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 06:47 PM   #364
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post
Maybe Ten Forward has special sheilding around it.

The whole thing can be a huge lifeboat that can jettison into space in case the ship is destroyed.

They can steer it by turning Guinan's hat.
B.J. wrote: View Post
^
lol
Old August 16 2014, 08:31 PM   #365
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
I never felt like that about 1701-E. It was like the producers were trying to say "Hey, it's still the Enterprise, right?".
That's true, I'm tempted to call the E the Dick Sargent of starships. It's just there to essentially be the new D.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 09:02 PM   #366
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

M-Red wrote: View Post

Totally agree with this. My trouble with 1701-E is that it just feels like a placeholder ship in all three movies that it appeared in. For all its faults as a movie, I feel more of an attachment to events in GENS on the simple merit of it featuring a starship that I've grown to care about. I never felt like that about 1701-E. It was like the producers were trying to say "Hey, it's still the Enterprise, right?". But in my eyes, they never bothered to make it feel important to me that it was the Enterprise, they never really devoted any time to establishing it at all, it's just like 1701-E was there because it was expected to be there, and there was no emotional connection to that ship beyond her name. It's like they just didn't care.
To a certain extent, that was true of the Enterprise-D in the manner she was treated in TNG. It's just that we had nearly 180 episodes to become familiar with her (both in good times and bad) compared to just three movies with the Enterprise-E.
Old August 17 2014, 05:06 AM   #367
BobtheGunslinge
Lieutenant

What they really needed was 5 minutes of Geordi and Picard flying around the E to Jerry Goldsmith music.

I'm not sure if I'm kidding.
BobtheGunslinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 05:10 AM   #368
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

That was the problem with the Enterprise-D as well. It was just there most of the time. We didn't really get a sense that it was something to care about. It was just the place the story was taking place, or the thing that got the crew from one place to another. It wasn't its own character, like the original Enterprise seemed to be in TOS. When the -D exploded (any of the times), there wasn't a sense of great loss. When Kirk blew up the Enterprise, there was great sadness. It as a ship that people had become attached, and had a personality of sorts.

Admiral McCoy's visit was about the closest we got to the new Enterprise getting treated like a character.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 11:06 AM   #369
Smellmet
Captain

BobtheGunslinge wrote: View Post
What they really needed was 5 minutes of Geordi and Picard flying around the E to Jerry Goldsmith music.

I'm not sure if I'm kidding.
I'm a big 1707-E fan, and I think there's some merit to what you're saying. Whilst I accept that a TMP flyby type scene would never have happened, I always had a problem with the way the E was introduced in FC. It was just 'there' in that scene, no build-up no reveal, nothing. I would have loved to have seen a more fitting introduction to the new Enterprise, she is one of the characters and deserved better.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 04:44 PM   #370
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Smellmet wrote: View Post
I would have loved to have seen a more fitting introduction to the new Enterprise, she is one of the characters and deserved better.
A great storming entry into battle would have been excellent; start the film with the Borg attack or approach on Earth and let the first big money shot of the film involve the Enterprise cleaning house.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 05:50 PM   #371
EnriqueH
Captain

I like the Enterprise-E casually.

I would've liked to have seen the Enterprise-D last longer, but I have to admit that its destruction in the movie TOTALLY caught me off guard.

Everyone seemed to know about Kirk's death, but I certainly don't remember hearing/reading any rumors about the Enterprise-D's destruction before going to the movie.

This was actually one of the more effective segments in the movie and I was prepared for anything, including the death of any TNG characters. I figured, "If this movie has the death of Kirk and now the destruction of the Enterprise-D, what else can happen?"

Anyway, one thing I didn't like about Generations leading into FC was that there was no mention of what happened to the crew between ships. Did Picard get reamed for losing the ship?

That's when I learned that the TNG movies wouldn't be like the TOS movies. We wouldn't follow the characters as closely, they'd be a bit more detached.

I still loved FC, but I overall prefer the TOS movie series by far.

But I digress...
Old August 17 2014, 08:54 PM   #372
starburst
Fleet Captain

I'm a big 1707-E fan, and I think there's some merit to what you're saying. Whilst I accept that a TMP flyby type scene would never have happened, I always had a problem with the way the E was introduced in FC. It was just 'there' in that scene, no build-up no reveal, nothing. I would have loved to have seen a more fitting introduction to the new Enterprise, she is one of the characters and deserved better.
BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
I would have loved to have seen a more fitting introduction to the new Enterprise, she is one of the characters and deserved better.
A great storming entry into battle would have been excellent; start the film with the Borg attack or approach on Earth and let the first big money shot of the film involve the Enterprise cleaning house.
Really? I have always loved that first scene with the Enterprise coming out of the nebula, this ship looked best in FC.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 09:20 PM   #373
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Anyway, one thing I didn't like about Generations leading into FC was that there was no mention of what happened to the crew between ships.
It was a two-year period. The first year is anyone's guess, but during the second year they were putting the new Enterprise through her paces (in First Contact, LaForge said the ship had been in space for nearly a year).
Did Picard get reamed for losing the ship?
I'm sure there was a standard investigation into the loss of the ship (as would be for the loss of any ship, IMO) and found no evidence that Picard was to blame.
Old August 18 2014, 09:17 PM   #374
Marsden
Captain

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
I never felt like that about 1701-E. It was like the producers were trying to say "Hey, it's still the Enterprise, right?".
That's true, I'm tempted to call the E the Dick Sargent of starships. It's just there to essentially be the new D.

Does that make the D the Dick York of starships?

The Enterprise B is the Chuck Cunningham of starships.

The Enterprise E is the Steven Urkel of starships.

EnriqueH, I wasn't suprised when the Enterprise D was destroyed, they showed it on the damn preview commercial on tv! What a crock.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 09:26 PM   #375
EnriqueH
Captain

Marsden wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post

Does that make the D the Dick York of starships?

The Enterprise B is the Chuck Cunningham of starships.

The Enterprise E is the Steven Urkel of starships.

EnriqueH, I wasn't suprised when the Enterprise D was destroyed, they showed it on the damn preview commercial on tv! What a crock.
Oh, man, that sucks!

Jeez, EVERYONE knew Kirk was going to die, but I don't think anyone I knew that the Enterprise-D was going to crash and burn.