CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 31 2014, 01:33 PM   #346
Disco
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Mage wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
Disco wrote: View Post
...The E was almost as large as the D so no reason why there wouldn't be children aboard.
In terms of volume, the Sovereign class Enterprise-E is roughly 40% the size of the Galaxy class Enterprise-D (ray-tracing programs used to calculate volumes on multiple Galaxy and Sovereign models for Trek mods; Galaxy consistently comes in at ~5.2 million m^3, Sovereign at ~2.0 million m^3).
Source (link).
Not "canon" but based on CG models based on official materials, so make of that what you will.

To chime in on the size discussion.... I found this on the good ol' interwebz, and I think it makes sense...

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8...izecompare.jpg

Taking the official length of both classes, and overlaying them like this, gives you a pretty idea of how small the Sovereign class really is compared to the Galaxy class.

FYI, I love the Sovereign class.

Quality comparison. I stand corrected on the E being similar in size.
Old July 31 2014, 02:47 PM   #347
Mytran
Fleet Captain

The "D" truly is a city in space!

Great comparison. I had no idea of the extent of the difference between the two.
Mytran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 03:37 PM   #348
Creepy Critter
Admiral

At the time of first season TNG, I thought of the Ent-D as the Star Trek version of the CE3K mothership.
Old July 31 2014, 04:07 PM   #349
Richard Baker
Commander

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Also, I'd hate to think what ramming the Scimitar would have done to all those family units quarters in the last film, if the crew still had their families on board.
Hell, families or not, that ship was fully crewed and he destroyed the first quarter of the primary hull with the ramming- imagine how many people were in that section and did not have a clue what was going to happen until impact...
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 06:18 PM   #350
Spocktoberfest
Captain

Akiraprise wrote: View Post
I've always thought the same thing. It would have been sweet to watch the ENT-D blazing in to save the day. Seeing her all Borgified would have resonated with the fans a bit more too I think. That said I love the E-E too. One of my favorite designs aside from Voyager and the refit original.
I agree. The death of the D in Generations was very pointless, it almost reminds me of the death of Yar, it was just there. No other reason. If the D was so badly damaged defeating the Borg in FC and then they introduced the replacement E at the end, I think that would have been much better, but like just about everything in Generations, it's a lost opportunity.

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
Also, I'd hate to think what ramming the Scimitar would have done to all those family units quarters in the last film, if the crew still had their families on board.
Hell, families or not, that ship was fully crewed and he destroyed the first quarter of the primary hull with the ramming- imagine how many people were in that section and did not have a clue what was going to happen until impact...
They should have had a clue, they were in the middle of a frikkin' space battle.

Last edited by Spocktoberfest; July 31 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Spocktoberfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 07:29 PM   #351
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Riker gave an order to evacuate several consecutive decks (which seem to be within the saucer section) that had been structurally compromised earlier. The area that was wrecked when the Enterprise crashed into the Scimitar might have been empty, and Picard knew that when he came up with the idea to ram it.
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...esishd2249.jpg
Old August 1 2014, 03:09 PM   #352
Mage
Commodore

Disco wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post

Source (link).
Not "canon" but based on CG models based on official materials, so make of that what you will.

To chime in on the size discussion.... I found this on the good ol' interwebz, and I think it makes sense...

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8...izecompare.jpg

Taking the official length of both classes, and overlaying them like this, gives you a pretty idea of how small the Sovereign class really is compared to the Galaxy class.

FYI, I love the Sovereign class.

Quality comparison. I stand corrected on the E being similar in size.
I'd like to point out that I didn't create the comparison, I only found it.
Old August 3 2014, 03:29 AM   #353
Elvira
Vice Admiral

They should have had a clue, they were in the middle of a frikkin' space battle.
There being any personnel in the bow section would depend on what's there in terms of a red alert duty station. It could have been completely empty.

During red alerts I could easily see family members moving quickly to the center most area of the saucer, the same place they put sickbay and the main computer. Basically a protected "bunker."

... imagine how many people were in that section and did not have a clue what was going to happen until impact...
Immediately after the ramming, Picard next action was to attempt to engage the Auto-destruct sequence. It actually was his intent that everyone on both ships die. He thought destroying the Scimitar was that important.

It was only after finding out that (naturally) the destruct was off-line that he gave the order to move the Enterprise as far as possible away from the Scimitar and then he beamed over.

Last edited by Elvira; August 3 2014 at 03:49 AM.
Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 09:32 AM   #354
F. King Daniel
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
There being any personnel in the bow section would depend on what's there in terms of a red alert duty station. It could have been completely empty.

During red alerts I could easily see family members moving quickly to the center most area of the saucer, the same place they put sickbay and the main computer. Basically a protected "bunker."
The Enterprise had "designated safety zones" - and Ten Forward was one of them.
Old August 3 2014, 04:52 PM   #355
Elvira
Vice Admiral

^ If you think about it, TenForward is a pretty crappy place to have a "designated safety zone" if there's a battle. It's on the outer most area of the ship, if there's going to be a weapons impact, hull breach and explosive decompression, TenForward is a prime candidate.

Now if the ship is being boarded, TenForward would be a good place. It's far away from the "important" areas like the bridge, engineering, computers and the like.

Old August 4 2014, 12:59 AM   #356
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Not all emergencies involve battles. Ten-Forward would still be a good designated safety zone in the event of a shipwide system failure (like the main computer going offline or communications failure--personnel and passengers could gather there for instructions by deck officers).
Old August 4 2014, 01:22 AM   #357
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

We saw the Enterprise being prepared for hours while in warp flight to the Rift before Shinzon even opened fire.

A lot of that probably was diverting all non-red alert personnel to the interior of the ships mass.
Old August 5 2014, 08:43 AM   #358
Shat Happens
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
^ If you think about it, TenForward is a pretty crappy place to have a "designated safety zone" if there's a battle. It's on the outer most area of the ship, if there's going to be a weapons impact, hull breach and explosive decompression, TenForward is a prime candidate.
Worf did that. It's so they have an honorable death if the battle is lost.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 01:56 PM   #359
Spocktoberfest
Captain

Maybe Ten Forward has special sheilding around it.

The whole thing can be a huge lifeboat that can jettison into space in case the ship is destroyed.

They can steer it by turning Guinan's hat.
Old August 8 2014, 05:35 PM   #360
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^