RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 142,314
Posts: 5,554,585
Members: 25,274
Currently online: 625
Newest member: zia tiger

TrekToday headlines

New Shatner Priceline Commercial
By: T'Bonz on Jan 29

Pine Joins Netflix Series
By: T'Bonz on Jan 29

Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

No Quinto In Heroes Reborn
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Pine Responds To Pegg Writer Announcement
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 31 2014, 01:33 PM   #346
Disco
Lieutenant Commander
 
Disco's Avatar
 
Location: Scotland
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Mage wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
Disco wrote: View Post
...The E was almost as large as the D so no reason why there wouldn't be children aboard.
In terms of volume, the Sovereign class Enterprise-E is roughly 40% the size of the Galaxy class Enterprise-D (ray-tracing programs used to calculate volumes on multiple Galaxy and Sovereign models for Trek mods; Galaxy consistently comes in at ~5.2 million m^3, Sovereign at ~2.0 million m^3).
Source (link).
Not "canon" but based on CG models based on official materials, so make of that what you will.

To chime in on the size discussion.... I found this on the good ol' interwebz, and I think it makes sense...

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8...izecompare.jpg

Taking the official length of both classes, and overlaying them like this, gives you a pretty idea of how small the Sovereign class really is compared to the Galaxy class.

FYI, I love the Sovereign class.

Quality comparison. I stand corrected on the E being similar in size.
__________________
"You treat her like a lady and she'll always bring you home."
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 02:47 PM   #347
Mytran
Fleet Captain
 
Mytran's Avatar
 
Location: North Wales
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

The "D" truly is a city in space!

Great comparison. I had no idea of the extent of the difference between the two.
Mytran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 03:37 PM   #348
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

At the time of first season TNG, I thought of the Ent-D as the Star Trek version of the CE3K mothership.
__________________
CorporalCaptain
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 04:07 PM   #349
Richard Baker
Captain
 
Richard Baker's Avatar
 
Location: Warrior, AL
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Also, I'd hate to think what ramming the Scimitar would have done to all those family units quarters in the last film, if the crew still had their families on board.
Hell, families or not, that ship was fully crewed and he destroyed the first quarter of the primary hull with the ramming- imagine how many people were in that section and did not have a clue what was going to happen until impact...
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 06:18 PM   #350
Marsden
Fleet Captain
 
Marsden's Avatar
 
Location: The Temple of Syrinx
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Akiraprise wrote: View Post
I've always thought the same thing. It would have been sweet to watch the ENT-D blazing in to save the day. Seeing her all Borgified would have resonated with the fans a bit more too I think. That said I love the E-E too. One of my favorite designs aside from Voyager and the refit original.
I agree. The death of the D in Generations was very pointless, it almost reminds me of the death of Yar, it was just there. No other reason. If the D was so badly damaged defeating the Borg in FC and then they introduced the replacement E at the end, I think that would have been much better, but like just about everything in Generations, it's a lost opportunity.

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
Ithekro wrote: View Post
Also, I'd hate to think what ramming the Scimitar would have done to all those family units quarters in the last film, if the crew still had their families on board.
Hell, families or not, that ship was fully crewed and he destroyed the first quarter of the primary hull with the ramming- imagine how many people were in that section and did not have a clue what was going to happen until impact...
They should have had a clue, they were in the middle of a frikkin' space battle.
__________________
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.

Last edited by Marsden; July 31 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 07:29 PM   #351
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
Ithekro wrote: View Post
Also, I'd hate to think what ramming the Scimitar would have done to all those family units quarters in the last film, if the crew still had their families on board.
Hell, families or not, that ship was fully crewed and he destroyed the first quarter of the primary hull with the ramming- imagine how many people were in that section and did not have a clue what was going to happen until impact...
Riker gave an order to evacuate several consecutive decks (which seem to be within the saucer section) that had been structurally compromised earlier. The area that was wrecked when the Enterprise crashed into the Scimitar might have been empty, and Picard knew that when he came up with the idea to ram it.
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...esishd2249.jpg
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 03:09 PM   #352
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Disco wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post


Source (link).
Not "canon" but based on CG models based on official materials, so make of that what you will.

To chime in on the size discussion.... I found this on the good ol' interwebz, and I think it makes sense...

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8...izecompare.jpg

Taking the official length of both classes, and overlaying them like this, gives you a pretty idea of how small the Sovereign class really is compared to the Galaxy class.

FYI, I love the Sovereign class.

Quality comparison. I stand corrected on the E being similar in size.
I'd like to point out that I didn't create the comparison, I only found it.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 03:29 AM   #353
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
They should have had a clue, they were in the middle of a frikkin' space battle.
There being any personnel in the bow section would depend on what's there in terms of a red alert duty station. It could have been completely empty.

During red alerts I could easily see family members moving quickly to the center most area of the saucer, the same place they put sickbay and the main computer. Basically a protected "bunker."

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
... imagine how many people were in that section and did not have a clue what was going to happen until impact...
Immediately after the ramming, Picard next action was to attempt to engage the Auto-destruct sequence. It actually was his intent that everyone on both ships die. He thought destroying the Scimitar was that important.

It was only after finding out that (naturally) the destruct was off-line that he gave the order to move the Enterprise as far as possible away from the Scimitar and then he beamed over.


Last edited by T'Girl; August 3 2014 at 03:49 AM.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 09:32 AM   #354
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Richard Baker wrote: View Post
They should have had a clue, they were in the middle of a frikkin' space battle.
There being any personnel in the bow section would depend on what's there in terms of a red alert duty station. It could have been completely empty.

During red alerts I could easily see family members moving quickly to the center most area of the saucer, the same place they put sickbay and the main computer. Basically a protected "bunker."
The Enterprise had "designated safety zones" - and Ten Forward was one of them.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 04:52 PM   #355
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

^ If you think about it, TenForward is a pretty crappy place to have a "designated safety zone" if there's a battle. It's on the outer most area of the ship, if there's going to be a weapons impact, hull breach and explosive decompression, TenForward is a prime candidate.

Now if the ship is being boarded, TenForward would be a good place. It's far away from the "important" areas like the bridge, engineering, computers and the like.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 12:59 AM   #356
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Not all emergencies involve battles. Ten-Forward would still be a good designated safety zone in the event of a shipwide system failure (like the main computer going offline or communications failure--personnel and passengers could gather there for instructions by deck officers).
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 01:22 AM   #357
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

We saw the Enterprise being prepared for hours while in warp flight to the Rift before Shinzon even opened fire.

A lot of that probably was diverting all non-red alert personnel to the interior of the ships mass.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 08:43 AM   #358
Shat Happens
Captain
 
Shat Happens's Avatar
 
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

T'Girl wrote: View Post
^ If you think about it, TenForward is a pretty crappy place to have a "designated safety zone" if there's a battle. It's on the outer most area of the ship, if there's going to be a weapons impact, hull breach and explosive decompression, TenForward is a prime candidate.
Worf did that. It's so they have an honorable death if the battle is lost.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 01:56 PM   #359
Marsden
Fleet Captain
 
Marsden's Avatar
 
Location: The Temple of Syrinx
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Maybe Ten Forward has special sheilding around it.


The whole thing can be a huge lifeboat that can jettison into space in case the ship is destroyed.

They can steer it by turning Guinan's hat.
__________________
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 05:35 PM   #360
B.J.
Rear Admiral
 
B.J.'s Avatar
 
Location: Huntsville, AL, USA
Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

^
__________________
B.J. --- bj-o23.deviantart.com
B.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.