Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 20 2014, 10:56 PM   #301
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

trevanian wrote: View Post
Man, that REALLY reminds me of SOLAR CRISIS (obscure reference, I know.)
The HD widescreen version is available for purchase on iTunes (US Store). I mean, how can one go wrong with a youngish Brenda Bakke and spacecraft designs by Syd Mead?
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 10:59 PM   #302
trevanian
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
publiusr wrote: View Post
Space 1999 and 2001 visually look like they are from the same universe.

The 1970's just had a look all its own.
Wasn't 2001 made in the 60's?
Yeah, late 1960s, designed in the latter half. 2001 and Space: 1999 were released less than a decade apart. The look of Space: 1999 was heavily influenced by 2001.
Well, actually nearly all of 2001 was designed during 1965, with shooting beginning at the very end of that year. In a lot of ways the movie still has a midcentury sensibility (which really works for it, since that is probably the aspect of 20th century design that holds the most enduring appeal.)

The kubrick film's footprint is all over the 70s, even to the Blockade Runner interior that opens STAR WARS, and it showed the way to NOT go for SILENT RUNNING, so it was influential in all sorts of ways. I still wonder what it would have been like if Ken Adam had done it instead of Masters (Ken would definitely have had his breakdown by 1965 instead of not having it till BARRY LYNDON), but I'm VERY happy with what we got.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 11:00 PM   #303
trevanian
Rear Admiral

JJTrek4ever! wrote: View Post
Man, that REALLY reminds me of SOLAR CRISIS (obscure reference, I know.)
The HD widescreen version is available for purchase on iTunes (US Store). I mean, how can one go wrong with a youngish Brenda Bakke and spacecraft designs by Syd Mead?
Oh, I'd say Sarafian & co found a way. Hard to believe Cameron hired his TRUE LIES cinematographer on the basis of this, with all the smoke on the ship interiors it is like something from the mid 80s.

Does it at least look better than the DVD, which is worth every penny of the 84 cents I spent on it?
Old July 20 2014, 11:10 PM   #304
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does it look better than the DVD?
I'm currently away from home on bidness so I can't compare them to see if the iTunes Solar Crisis is just a matted version of the print used for the full frame DVD. You want me to post screencaps after I d/l it to my iPad? For some reason I can't do captures of iTunes purchases on my Mac or PC. Go figger.
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 11:11 PM   #305
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

Wasn't 2001 made in the 60's?
Yeah, late 1960s, designed in the latter half. 2001 and Space: 1999 were released less than a decade apart. The look of Space: 1999 was heavily influenced by 2001.
Well, actually nearly all of 2001 was designed during 1965, with shooting beginning at the very end of that year.
True. I was very sloppy there. I should have said released in the late 1960s (1968 to be precise), and have been more specific about when the design was done.
Old July 24 2014, 07:25 AM   #306
Cadet49
Lieutenant Commander

I always thought it was a huge mistake that they destroyed the Ent-D in Generations, because it was a vital link to the TV series... the audience had an emotional connection to it. I think First Contact would have been much more emotionally poignant if we had seen Picard wrestling with the potential of losing the Enterprise-D to the Borg - it would have been a great way of seeing how much the Enterprise meant to the captain. If the TV model wasn't detailed enough for film cameras, they could have always shown a "refit" version of the galaxy class, like the version in Star Trek Online - lost opportunity.
Cadet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 10:33 AM   #307
Ithekro
Captain

I'm not sure why, but even though I watched the show those seven year, I never really got attached to the Enterprise-D. It never quite made the impression that the old TOS Enterprise did. It was rarely a character unless the plot demanded it. In the TOS era, the Enterprise was basically another member of the cast. It has a personality to it, even it most of that was Kirk and Scott. I hadn't seen all that much of the original series and only the first three films when the old girl was blown up over Genesis. It was a sad moment and it did feel like we had lost an important character...as much as losing Spock in the previous film had been.

When the Enterprise-D went down...not so much of an emotional impact (aside from getting Data to swear...that was funny). Losing cast members (crew) of the ship would evoke an emotional response...but not the Enterprise-D.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 04:55 PM   #308
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Ithekro wrote: View Post
I'm not sure why, but even though I watched the show those seven year, I never really got attached to the Enterprise-D. It never quite made the impression that the old TOS Enterprise did. It was rarely a character unless the plot demanded it. In the TOS era, the Enterprise was basically another member of the cast. It has a personality to it, even it most of that was Kirk and Scott. I hadn't seen all that much of the original series and only the first three films when the old girl was blown up over Genesis. It was a sad moment and it did feel like we had lost an important character...as much as losing Spock in the previous film had been.

When the Enterprise-D went down...not so much of an emotional impact (aside from getting Data to swear...that was funny). Losing cast members (crew) of the ship would evoke an emotional response...but not the Enterprise-D.
Only TOS really had characters that were emotional about their ship and tended to regard her as a special person, IMO.
Old July 24 2014, 07:11 PM   #309
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

Beyerstein wrote: View Post
It looks weird and never even looks like the same ship from different angles.

They should have just kept the D. It was iconic.

I wasn't that thrilled with the D or E. The design for the Ent-C was better.
AirCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:49 AM   #310
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Only TOS really had characters that were emotional about their ship and tended to regard her as a special person, IMO.
When Sisko lost the Defiant it was basically "meh" have to go through the paperwork of getting a replacement.

Picard also never seemed really invested in the Enterprise Dee, it was a tool to accomplish his various missions. I got the impression that the Stargazer was far more important to Picard.

Janeway and Archer the same.

Kirk loved his ship.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 02:37 AM   #311
Akiraprise

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
I always thought it was a huge mistake that they destroyed the Ent-D in Generations, because it was a vital link to the TV series... the audience had an emotional connection to it. I think First Contact would have been much more emotionally poignant if we had seen Picard wrestling with the potential of losing the Enterprise-D to the Borg - it would have been a great way of seeing how much the Enterprise meant to the captain. If the TV model wasn't detailed enough for film cameras, they could have always shown a "refit" version of the galaxy class, like the version in Star Trek Online - lost opportunity.
I've always thought the same thing. It would have been sweet to watch the ENT-D blazing in to save the day. Seeing her all Borgified would have resonated with the fans a bit more too I think. That said I love the E-E too. One of my favorite designs aside from Voyager and the refit original.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 02:50 AM   #312
trevanian
Rear Admiral

JJTrek4ever! wrote: View Post
Does it look better than the DVD?
I'm currently away from home on bidness so I can't compare them to see if the iTunes Solar Crisis is just a matted version of the print used for the full frame DVD. You want me to post screencaps after I d/l it to my iPad? For some reason I can't do captures of iTunes purchases on my Mac or PC. Go figger.
Sorry I missed your reply. Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing how the exterior space stuff in Earth orbit looks, or a couple frames of the probe plowing through the sun. No rush.
Old July 28 2014, 10:27 AM   #313
Viper78
Lieutenant Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
When Sisko lost the Defiant it was basically "meh" have to go through the paperwork of getting a replacement.

Picard also never seemed really invested in the Enterprise Dee, it was a tool to accomplish his various missions. I got the impression that the Stargazer was far more important to Picard.

Janeway and Archer the same.

Kirk loved his ship.

Agreed, Picard was attached to the Stargazer due to it being is first command, once the Stargazer was lost the Ent-D despite it being the Flagship was just another ship to him.

Riker on the other hand seemed more upset by it's destuction, and you got the impression he really wanted the Enterprise D.

I didn't think either Picard or Riker felt that way about the Enterprise E. Infact although technically more advance than the Galaxy class at the time of it's launch, as a ship the Soveriegn class might have seemed like a bit of a downgrade compared to the Galaxy.
Old July 29 2014, 02:38 AM   #314
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Picard might have preferred the Ent-E...there didn't seem to be any children aboard.
Old July 29 2014, 03:00 AM   #315
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Picard might have preferred the Ent-E...there didn't seem to be any children aboard.
Which was for the best seeing as the Borg assimilated half of it a year after he got it, so no having to gun down assimilated children.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote