IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 10 2014, 05:32 PM   #256
sojourner
Admiral

Re: The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Hey Bob, I know this has been attempted before in the closed threads, but I'll bring up one point here for you to explain.

Why is the modelon the wall of the conference room of the aircraft carrier, the Ent-B and the Ent-A models perfectly acceptable in they're inaccuracy, but the Ent-C as represented must be the "true" look of the ship? Why the double standard?
Old July 10 2014, 06:08 PM   #257
Robert Comsol
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
Why is the model on the wall of the conference room of the aircraft carrier, the Ent-B and the Ent-A models perfectly acceptable in their inaccuracy, but the Ent-C as represented must be the "true" look of the ship? Why the double standard?
I didn’t say it must be the „true“ look (although of all the ships on the display it most accurately portrays the Enterprise-C according to the side view sketch Mr. Probert provided for the sculptor), but all the ships on the display, despite their obvious roughness, reflect distinctive features and proportions that instantly enable us to identify the ships they are supposed to represent.

As illustrated in post # 213 the roughness of the display wouldn’t enable us to tell which saucer section of both Enterprises-C would be the accurate one.

But the proportions of the engine nacelles, the nacelle pylon angle and the stardrive section are so noticeably different in both designs that the Enterprise-C golden sculpture would be the only sculpture on the display beyond immediate recognition and identification. YMMV.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 06:49 PM   #258
sojourner
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

But the proportions of the engine nacelles, the nacelle pylon angle and the stardrive section are so noticeably different in both designs that the Enterprise-C golden sculpture would be the only sculpture on the display beyond immediate recognition and identification. YMMV.

Bob
So, what aircraft carrier is that? Surely without the angled flight deck it can't be the Enterprise? It's just too noticeably different.
Old July 10 2014, 07:25 PM   #259
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ We're looking at the wrong side of the ship to see the angled flight deck. We're looking at the side with the island/bridge.

The island looks right for the original configuration of the Enterprise, since it's square.

I think all those ships are inaccurate, some more than others.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 07:50 PM   #260
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Search4 wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post

The more hard-edged angle taken by the Enterprise E's design is such a complete 180 from the 1701-D's design philosophy, that I honestly couldn't help feeling that something iconic about The Next Generation was actually missing in those last three movies. The actors were all there, but the spirit was lacking. The presence of 1701-E (or more particularly some of the decisions made on the drawing board during the design of the ship) was a big factor in that. 1701-D had an unique ambiance all its own which was as much a part of the TV show's success as anything else, and which the 1701-E lacked. IMO.
I agree with all of this. There was simply no good reason for the D to be destroyed. But, if they absolutely had to do it, they could have at least made the E an identical Galaxy class ship.
I am completely convinced that if they reused the "D", fans would be screaming about how they copied the TOS movies and the studio cheapened out.

You just can't win![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 08:37 PM   #261
Blamo
Fleet Captain

I liked the original connie, the refit, A, B, C and E, but just outright disliked the look of the D. To be fair to "D", it looked better than Ent-J

With the exception of the E, the only TNG era fed ship I've liked the look of was the Akira class.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 09:51 PM   #262
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

The Primary and Secondary hull is shaped like the Ambassador-class. The Pylons and neck are shaped like the Probert-C. The only thing massively not like either is the warp nacelles, which are close to what the NX-01 got.

As to the carrier model on the wall. It is one of the "soon to be" three carriers named Enterprise. That one was the CVN-65 as it looked during the 1960s. The bridge structure is a cube with a domed array on top and is extremely distinctive. No other carrier has that bridge stricture.

The more famous carrier is CV-6 USS Enterprise from World War II. The highest decorated ship of the war, serving in nearly every battle in the Pacific.

The CVN-80 USS Enterprise would definitely not show up, since it isn't finish yet in our world.

Last edited by Ithekro; July 10 2014 at 10:03 PM.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 10:30 PM   #263
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Dennis wrote: View Post
Eaves's early design for the NX-01 was my favorite. Apparently it looked too much like the original Enterprise for the producers.

His obsession with gaps and overlapping surfaces makes me crazy.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 10:48 PM   #264
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
His obsession with gaps and overlapping surfaces makes me crazy.
That's what's been bugging me! For some reason I couldn't lay my finger on it. What would be the in-universe justification for such a design I wonder?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 11:49 PM   #265
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

I think that design would make a nice 24th century version of the Constitution class, nacelles and all. Would look totally out of place as a ship that's supposed to be 100 years older than the TOS Enterprise, though.
Old July 10 2014, 11:55 PM   #266
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander

View KaineMorrison's Twitter Profile

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Ithekro wrote: View Post
At this point it is highly unlikely that CBS will touch anything from the older series anymore. They'd likely rather continue on with the alternate timeline than spend the time to get together the Next Generation cast again for a series or film, and they have no reason to attempt a follow on series to any of the 1987 - 2002 series. Unless they wanted to do some kind of anniversery movie set at or around the same time as "All Good Things...", which would be I think four years from now.
I know it would never happen, but I think it would be exciting to see them do a TV movie wherein the TNG cast, now at the ages they were in the "future" of AGT, and do a Back to the Future IItype scenario, where they go back in time and witness events that happened in TNG from a different perspective.

That somewhat happened with "Trials and Tribble-ations," but it was different people going back and witnessing events. This could be the same crew having to go back to a pivotal moment for some reason.
Even better would be a Hot Tub Time Machine type of scenario!!!!!
KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 09:08 AM   #267
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Well, since we're talking about all the different ships, THIS is the one I would have loved to see replace the Enterprise D:

Old July 11 2014, 12:11 PM   #268
Robert Comsol
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
So, what aircraft carrier is that? Surely without the angled flight deck it can't be the Enterprise? It's just too noticeably different.
It's the USS Enterprise, either way you look at it (WW II and present).

From a real-life perspective Andrew Probert stated that he included it for scale reference, as most spectators had an understanding of the aircraft carrier size.

Since he only provided the side view, the sculptor possibly wasn't that aware of the flight deck differences or it was a deliberate artistic decision (in-universe) to feature both with one sculpture.

@ GalaxyX

Is there ANY chance you would share with us, how you got hold of what appears to be a Season Seven Blu-ray screencap?
(Yes, I realize I might have to accept "No" for an answer)

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 07:22 PM   #269
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

@ GalaxyX

Is there ANY chance you would share with us, how you got hold of what appears to be a Season Seven Blu-ray screencap?
(Yes, I realize I might have to accept "No" for an answer)

Bob
lol no magic my friend.

I don't believe that's a Season 7 screencap, but rather someone's retexturing of the original scene.

You can read about it here:

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9148

I though it was a pretty good job approximating what the true S7 Blu-Ray remaster will look like.
Old July 11 2014, 07:52 PM   #270
Maple Dog
Lieutenant Commander

I have to disagree,if you want to see one U G L Y starship,look at the NCC 1701-J from Star Trek Enterprise thats one ugly POS