Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 17 2014, 03:58 PM   #1
martok2112
Commander

TMP wormhole scene--how it should've ended.

Ok, so here we have the USS Enterprise making an ill-advised warp jump, and now, because of engine imbalance, the ship cannot fire its phasers.

It plays out well enough for dramatic purposes that Decker countermands Kirk's order to fire phasers at the looming asteroid, and then explains his actions later.

But, what if the scene were played out like this?

Kirk: Mr. Chekov, stand by on phasers!
Decker: (wild eyed) No! Belay that phaser order!
(Kirk is stunned by Decker's bold second guessing of his order.)

Ok, the scene plays out to its conclusion, and Kirk says he'd like to speak to Decker in his quarters.

Cut to Kirk's quarters:

Kirk: Alright, explanation! Why was my phaser order countermanded?!
Decker: Permission to speak freely ,sir?
Kirk: Granted.
Decker: For starters, the Enterprise redesign increases phaser power by channeling it through the main engines. When they went into anti-matter imbalance, the phasers were automatically cut off.
Kirk: Then you acted--
Decker: I'm not finished, sir.
(Kirk looks at Decker with an "I will only indulge so far" expression)
Decker: Even if the engines were not the problem, we were still traveling at faster than light speed. The phasers would have blown up the bow, and then the asteroid would've finished us off, you idiot!

Old August 17 2014, 04:28 PM   #2
EnriqueH
Commander

Re: TMP wormhole scene--how it should've ended.

A little better.

Old August 17 2014, 04:45 PM   #3
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I'm more inclined to asking just exactly what happened in the wormhole.

They said an asteroid got pulled into the wormhole with them. Scotty said the engine imbalance created the wormhole...but how did destroying the asteroid (I mean as-ter-r-o-oid ) collapse the wormhole? Maybe that wasn't the intended meaning, but it sure looked that way to me.

Were the imbalance and the asteroid separate problems, or two parts of the same problem?
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 04:59 PM   #4
drt
Commander

Two separate issues, to be clearer they should have flown down the wormhole a couple seconds more after destroying the asteroid.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 05:27 PM   #5
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

drt wrote: View Post
Two separate issues, to be clearer they should have flown down the wormhole a couple seconds more after destroying the asteroid.
Yes, that would definitely have helped. When the wormhole began, everyone was in a panic about it. Right after that, the asteroid seemed to take center stage. I remember when I first saw this movie (at a drive-in! ), this part confused me a bit. I wasn't one-hundred percent sure what was going on, and coming after the transporter malfunction (and that horrifying scream ), it seemed like good ol' Enterprise was now a place to be avoided if you valued your safety!
Old August 17 2014, 06:00 PM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the engine imbalance causes the wormhole, but it plays like the asteroid is somehow caught in the "warp field" which I don't think had been technobabbled into existence as jargon yet.
Old August 17 2014, 06:24 PM   #7
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

With everything else going on, maybe they could have dumped the asteroid bit altogether?
Old August 17 2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Yeah, the engine imbalance causes the wormhole, but it plays like the asteroid is somehow caught in the "warp field" which I don't think had been technobabbled into existence as jargon yet.
Yes, and to add to the technobabble, inside the warp field, the ship is like a passenger sitting inside a train car. Inside the car (warp field) movement is relative, so if the phasers were operative, they could've been fired and it would've led to the same result as firing the photo torpedoes had. The asteroid is destroyed, and the unstable warp field collapses from the blast, instantaneously returning them to normal space. Since the warp field was unstable, you can take some liberties with its behavior and the behavior of things in it.

At least that explanation works for me.
Old August 17 2014, 07:48 PM   #9
drt
Commander

Let's not forget that phasers being the "slower than light" weapons was a TNG-era retcon - there are plenty of instances in the original series of firing phasers at warp or at targets at warp.
Old August 17 2014, 08:00 PM   #10
sonak
Vice Admiral

I think the scene is fine enough as it is, one of the better parts of the film. Although it's odd that this is the only time we see this phenomenon presented as a possible issue.
Old August 17 2014, 09:01 PM   #11
starburst
Fleet Captain

As for the Enterprise exiting the wormhole after destroying the asteroid, maybe the intent was that the Photon Torpedo either destabilised the wormhole or simply knocked the Enterprise back into normal space?
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 09:26 PM   #12
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

That could be, starburst. I had just come to assume over the years that when the ship had created the wormhole, the asteroid had thrown the formula off-balance. The ship has a fixed mass, and the asteroid added to this, sort of as if you were to stand on a scale while holding, say, a bowling ball.

Maybe the faulty warp effect somehow sucked the asteroid in? Spock came aboard to help with the "engine design difficulties" after that, though I don't know how he knew of this problem. Maybe he witnessed it on the sensors of his shuttle en route.
Old August 17 2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Maybe it's all Spock's fault, just like the destruction of Romulus.
Old August 17 2014, 10:07 PM   #14
drt
Commander

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Maybe the faulty warp effect somehow sucked the asteroid in? Spock came aboard to help with the "engine design difficulties" after that, though I don't know how he knew of this problem. Maybe he witnessed it on the sensors of his shuttle en route.
Ilia states that a small object was pulled into the wormhole, so I suppose it was sucked in from the other end (maybe some sort of trans-Kupier object).

And Spock says that he was monitoring Enterprise's communications with Star Fleet, which is how he knew of their difficulties (although, you'd think that stuff would be encrypted).
Old August 17 2014, 10:09 PM   #15
Captrek
Rear Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
drt wrote: View Post
Yes, that would definitely have helped.
That was corrected in the Director's Edition. It was always planned, but they ran out of time to finish the effects.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote