RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 423
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 30 2014, 11:33 PM   #1
NeroShrimp
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to NeroShrimp
Riker's Wedding

When you saw Riker's wedding did you buy the Alaskan scenery for one second? I thought it was totally fake. It just seemed like a very poor matte painting. I don't know, I mean I hate to talk poorly because I love Trek but I can just tell it wasn't real. Are we supposed to believe they actually filmed on top of a mountain? I just thought it was cheesy but it screamed fake. I thought they were really indoors (even though it really was).
NeroShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 12:03 AM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: Riker's Wedding

Picard's railing "Best Man Speech," bragging on himself, with this horrifying close-up on him, just to make sure we knew for a fact how much he had aged was not a plus for me. For another, there just wasn't anywhere near enough interaction between the married couple, at all. Also, I hated Troi's dress with a passion. It did not seem to be appropriate for someone of Deanna's years. Something more conservative should've been selected. The oddly curious "segregation" of Guinan, Geordi and Worf distracted from the overall wedding-party vibe. A lot of problems are present in this sequence ...

... I thought the mountains were "OK."
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 12:12 AM   #3
Tosk
Rear Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Also, I hated Troi's dress with a passion. It did not seem to be appropriate for someone of Deanna's years. Something more conservative should've been selected.
More conservative than her "other wedding" dress though.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 12:23 AM   #4
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Tosk wrote: View Post
More conservative than her "other wedding" dress though.
Quite so. It's been a while since I've viewed this gem, but I'm confident that - despite the PG-13 rating - Marina wasn't even naked for her sex scene with Wil (and Shinzon ... and The Viceroy). There was simply no way we were ever going to see a Betazoid wedding, not even in the movies. Certainly not by this time! And for that ... yes, for that, I am deeply appreciative.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 12:38 AM   #5
Shat Happens
Captain

There were mountains?
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 12:39 AM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The oddly curious "segregation" of Guinan, Geordi and Worf distracted from the overall wedding-party vibe.
That wedding party scene was so segregated, Wesley Crusher was almost completely out of the movie.
Old July 1 2014, 01:45 AM   #7
NeroShrimp
Lieutenant

Melakon wrote: View Post
The oddly curious "segregation" of Guinan, Geordi and Worf distracted from the overall wedding-party vibe.
That wedding party scene was so segregated, Wesley Crusher was almost completely out of the movie.
Yeah, that was pretty messed up. You'd think he would be closer to Crusher...after all she is his mom. I guess since they deleted his scenes they figured no one would see him in the far left of the screen.
Old July 1 2014, 02:55 AM   #8
Lance
Commodore

The oddly curious "segregation" of Guinan, Geordi and Worf distracted from the overall wedding-party vibe. A lot of problems are present in this sequence ...
You know, ever since 2002 there's always been something about the way this scene is staged that has bugged me. But it isn't until now I've realized what it is: exactly the above. Sure, it's kind of reflecting the way weddings are "staged" in real-life, the bride and groom and closest members tend to sit separately from everybody else at the reception, but as presented in the movie it just feels 'off' somehow because all of the white guys are in one part of the scene and all of the black guys are in another. I'm sure they could've found a better way to be inclusive of all the regular cast members (at the least).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 06:08 AM   #9
NeroShrimp
Lieutenant

Lance wrote: View Post
The oddly curious "segregation" of Guinan, Geordi and Worf distracted from the overall wedding-party vibe. A lot of problems are present in this sequence ...
You know, ever since 2002 there's always been something about the way this scene is staged that has bugged me. But it isn't until now I've realized what it is: exactly the above. Sure, it's kind of reflecting the way weddings are "staged" in real-life, the bride and groom and closest members tend to sit separately from everybody else at the reception, but as presented in the movie it just feels 'off' somehow because all of the white guys are in one part of the scene and all of the black guys are in another. I'm sure they could've found a better way to be inclusive of all the regular cast members (at the least).
Two words: Bad directing. Stuart Baird's talents obviously lies in the editing room...NOT the director's chair. This film is a "How Not to Direct a film for Dummies".
Old July 1 2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Lance
Commodore

NeroShrimp wrote: View Post
Two words: Bad directing. Stuart Baird's talents obviously lies in the editing room...NOT the director's chair.
Absolutely. He clearly didn't have a touch for character based storytelling, certainly I recall him complaining bitterly about having to absorb the baggage of such already well-established characters, when all he really wanted was a clean slate. Nobody could have been a worse match for a feature based on The Next Generation, lest alone their final screen outing. Perhaps most telling was his complete removal of the ward room scene between Picard and Data, one of THE most crucial scenes in the telling of what these characters are going through in this story. Its like Baird went through the movie with a razor going "Ok guys, we're making an action movie here aren't we, rip the heart of it and do everything you can to de-emphasize character in favour of shooty bits and base emotion, got that? Get to work."
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Smellmet
Commander

Never noticed it or bothered me one bit, to be honest I always get choked up at that scene where Picard tells them that they are his family. I think it's a decent scene.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 11:18 AM   #12
Mytran
Fleet Captain

NeroShrimp wrote: View Post
When you saw Riker's wedding did you buy the Alaskan scenery for one second? I thought it was totally fake. It just seemed like a very poor matte painting. I don't know, I mean I hate to talk poorly because I love Trek but I can just tell it wasn't real. Are we supposed to believe they actually filmed on top of a mountain? I just thought it was cheesy but it screamed fake. I thought they were really indoors (even though it really was).
Was it supposed to be real? Since the first viewing I took it to be nicely painted wall mural or something.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 11:32 AM   #13
Robert Comsol
Commodore

This angle looks realistic, this one is open for debate, I'd say. But with a physical tent surrounded by "real" vegetation, the intention appears to be to feature an outdoor setting.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 01:02 PM   #14
RoJoHen
Awesome

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
This angle looks realistic, this one is open for debate, I'd say. But with a physical tent surrounded by "real" vegetation, the intention appears to be to feature an outdoor setting.

Bob
They never really said, did they? I assumed they were meant to be in Alaska, but for all we know, they're just on the holodeck.
Old July 1 2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Mytran
Fleet Captain

How come Troi is wearing a dress to get married - a duty uniform was good enough in "Balance of Terror"!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote