Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 30 2014, 02:17 AM   #1
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Interesting trims from Star Trek scripts

I've been reading some original series scripts lately (special thanks to Sir Rhosis) and as I do I take note of little interesting bits which didn't make it to the air. Sometimes it's a trimmed line of dialog which explains something left vague in the aired episode, other times it's scene direction which makes clear something which people thought was a mistake but was intentional.

Some of this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm posting ones that stuck out to me and which I suspect many people don't know.

(I'm only going to note those not already covered in the Orion Press notes on the episodes. They may have gotten mentioned in the These Are the Voyages books, but I've not read those.)

Here are a few from two episodes:

ARENA Final Draft November 3, 1966
The script specifies that the Gorn ship is never inside visual range. There is nothing to indicate it should ever be shown (as was added in the TOS-R version).

Also, the "bamboo" isn't really bamboo. It's described this way:

The bamboo is perhaps three to four inches in diameter...and, as Kirk discovers, is as hard as iron. He tries to break a section loose. it does no good... it gives off a METALLIC CLINK.
The production failed to convey that detail. That'd change the Mythbusters test a bit.

Spock also rattles off the proportions of the elements of the gunpowder as Kirk mixes it. "75. 15. 10."

Orion Press article on "Arena" (link)

SPACE SEED Second Revised Final, December 13, 1966
Deleted dialog actually clarifies exactly where the Botany Bay was headed:
SPINELLI
As near as I can work out their
heading, they must have tried for
the Alpha Centauri star system.

KIRK
Makes sense. Closest to earth, has
several habitable planets.

SPINELLI
Their vessel must have gone off
course when the port control jets
took meteor damage. Other hits
deflected them even more off course.
...and...
KIRK
Ship’s equipment inventory?

SCOTT’S VOICE
Colonization gear mainly. But
quite heavy on armaments. I suppose
that’s typical of their era.
So, clearly the supermen had a destination and plan in mind. The "armaments" suggest a lot about their mindset as conquerors.

Finally, Bones had this howler of a line:
McCOY
(looking up to Kirk)
He’s quite a hunk of a man, Jim.
This patient’s worth fighting to save.
Would someone less of a hunk not be worth fighting to save, Bones? Or are you swooning along with Marla?

Orion Press article on "Space Seed" (link).
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 03:32 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Interesting trims from Star Trek scripts

Alpha Centauri is the most reasonable destination, sure... except it's 123 degrees away from Alpha Ceti ("Ceti Alpha") in the sky. So they would've had to go enormously off course to end up over there. Tau Ceti would make more sense as the intended destination, being only a dozen light-years away from Earth and only 27 degrees off from Alpha Ceti. So it's probably just as well that line was cut.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Alpha Centauri is the most reasonable destination, sure... except it's 123 degrees away from Alpha Ceti ("Ceti Alpha") in the sky. So they would've had to go enormously off course to end up over there. Tau Ceti would make more sense as the intended destination, being only a dozen light-years away from Earth and only 27 degrees off from Alpha Ceti. So it's probably just as well that line was cut.
Alpha Centauri having ``several'' inhabited planets is an interesting point, though. Is there anything actually canonical about the system besides of course that Zephram Cochrane's from there?

I wonder why Alpha Ceti Alpha Ceti Alpha, being so near Earth and so apparently inhabitable, wasn't colonized by the time of ``Space Seed''. It suggests either other places were even more favorable or that perhaps it's in some politically sensitive area that Earth proper (and other local powers) didn't want to touch.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Whether or not it makes logical sense in terms of real space doesn't interest me as much as getting a glimpse into some "original intent". YMMV.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old June 30 2014, 09:10 AM   #5
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Whether or not it makes logical sense in terms of real space doesn't interest me as much as getting a glimpse into some "original intent". YMMV.
Yeah, that's cool. For that matter, instead of dropping the Alpha Centauri reference, they could have just as well changed the destination from Ceti Alpha to something else more in line with Alpha Centauri.
Old June 30 2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Alpha Centauri having "several'' inhabited planets is an interesting point, though. Is there anything actually canonical about the system besides of course that Zephram Cochrane's from there?
In the deleted Scene Kirk mentioned "habitable" planets (i.e. ideal for colonization), not "inhabited" planets although the armament reference is quite ambiguous.

I also think that already the TOS producers considered Cochrane to be a human from Earth, otherwise he probably wouldn't feel romantic about Earth if he had been just a native of an Alpha Centauri planet:

COCHRANE: Yes. I had tools and supplies left over from my crash.
SPOCK: Not bad.
COCHRANE: Not Earth, but it's livable. I grow vegetables in the fields over that next ridge. Come on in.

But supposed that Alpha Centauri was the destination of the Botany Bay, how long would it have taken them to get there with just nuclear power as their primary energy source?

Maybe the Botany Bay got displaced by the same kind of wormhole or else that displaced Voyager 6 and possibly the Valiant?

Bob

P.S.
Nice new avatar, Maurice, the iconic Cylon helmet designed by Andrew Probert.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I also think that already the TOS producers considered Cochrane to be a human from Earth, otherwise he probably wouldn't feel romantic about Earth if he had been just a native of an Alpha Centauri planet. . .
I find this somewhat doubtful, since the original outline for "Metamorphosis" wasn't written until well after "Space Seed" had aired. So I don't know how they could have "already" had thoughts about who Cochrane was.
Old June 30 2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Alpha Centauri having ``several'' inhabited planets is an interesting point, though. Is there anything actually canonical about the system besides of course that Zephram Cochrane's from there?
In addition to the mentions of an Alpha Centauri colony, Taranullus, implicitly one of Flint's past identities in "Requiem for Methuselah," was from "Centauri VII." There was also reference in Enterprise to a "Proxima Colony," presumably around Alpha Centauri C, aka Proxima Centauri.

I wonder why Alpha Ceti Alpha Ceti Alpha, being so near Earth and so apparently inhabitable, wasn't colonized by the time of ``Space Seed''. It suggests either other places were even more favorable or that perhaps it's in some politically sensitive area that Earth proper (and other local powers) didn't want to touch.
Actually it's not near Earth at all. It's about 250 light-years away -- just barely reachable by the Botany Bay in 270 years (1996 to 2266) if it had averaged at least 92.5% of lightspeed. (Of course, the BB was just somewhere close to the star, close enough that it was a good place for the Enterprise to drop them off without too great a divergence from its course. So the BB could've been going a bit slower.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 08:47 PM   #9
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
P.S.
Nice new avatar, Maurice, the iconic Cylon helmet designed by Andrew Probert.
Thanks. My avatar is usually directly related to the quote in my signature.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old June 30 2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Another Space Seed trim.

As Kirk and party are in the transporter room readying to beam to the Botany Bay...
SPOCK
(filtered)
Security back-up team standing by
in the aft transporter room, Captain.
Which suggests at least two such rooms on the ship. But since it was cut, it didn't happen.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old July 1 2014, 10:09 AM   #11
Robert Comsol
Commodore

But it gives us a good idea how the creators envisioned the ship's interiors. That's a great find, shows me that I was on the right track for my Deck 6 draft.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 01:18 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

This is where I'm at.
Old July 1 2014, 05:03 PM   #13
Marsden
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
This is where I'm at.

Me, too.

I wasn't aware of these, thank you for posting.
Old July 1 2014, 05:33 PM   #14
drt
Commander

The bamboo is perhaps three to four inches in diameter...and, as Kirk discovers, is as hard as iron. He tries to break a section loose. it does no good... it gives off a METALLIC CLINK.
It's been ages since I read them, but I'm pretty sure this detail made it to the Blish adaption.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 11:29 PM   #15
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

drt wrote: View Post

It's been ages since I read them, but I'm pretty sure this detail made it to the Blish adaption.
You're right!

"He scrambled over to look at the bamboolike stuff. Each stalk was perhaps three to four inches in diameter-and, as he discovered by trying to break a section loose, it was as hard as iron. Hitting it with a rock even produced a distinctly metallic clank. Perhaps it picked up iron from the soil, as horsetails pick up calcium oxalate, or some prairie grasses pick up selinium."

Last edited by LMFAOschwarz; July 2 2014 at 12:42 AM.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote