Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 2 2014, 09:46 PM   #31
J. Allen
Snuggle Master

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile
Re: New writers speak

foxhot wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
xavier wrote: View Post
I am a fan so I would choose quality over quantity.
If the majority of ratings sites and box office returns are to be believed, you got both with Star Trek Into Darkness.
But for Michael Bay, There Can Only Be One.
So what you're saying is that we need to get Queen to record the movie's title theme. I agree.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 09:03 AM   #32
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Some more from the writing team in part 2 of Trekcore's interview.
Old July 6 2014, 04:55 AM   #33
The Colonel
Lieutenant Junior Grade

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Some more from the writing team in part 2 of Trekcore's interview.
I'm slowly feeling better about this movie the more I hear from these writers and also Orci is separate interviews. I'm happy at least that the movie will be set in deep space and have a more exploration based theme. I'm also glad the origin story aspect can finally be put to rest and we can get more mature versions of the characters. I was getting tired of the constant Kirk insta-promotions/demotions and the Star-Trek-90210-teen-angst feel of some of the characters. I like how the interviewer called them out on that.
Old July 6 2014, 08:12 AM   #34
Wadjda
Commander

i was hoping for exploration so bad. I am pumped.
Old July 6 2014, 08:34 AM   #35
Commishsleer
Fleet Captain

View Commishsleer's Twitter Profile

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post

Over-the-top villains like Khan are nice to have, but are not necessary for every film unless you insist on conforming the franchise to the superhero comic-book mold.
You mean, the movies that actually make big money for the studios.
Nemesis had an over-the-top villain in Shinzon. Didn't make big money. It takes more than a rug-chewing villain to put butts in seats.

BTW, the top movie of the last year was Frozen, which featured a theatrical but not very "evil" villain in Elsa. Hans became the evil one, but he was not the draw of the film. If anything he dragged the film down the most, because he was the least credible.

It's just not necessary to have over-the-top mustache-twisting villains to make money.
Blade Runner had a charismatic villain but he wasn't really the villain was he?
Commishsleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 01:05 PM   #36
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Roy Batty wasn't the villian, no. Tyrell, I suppose, was. He, his company, and its subsidiaries didn't just create "Replicants." They also created the situation the whole movie revolves around. And it's very clear that this is the case, because of the manner in how he meets his end. He's informed from the source as to what the problem really is with his product and given the opportunity to do something about it. When he stubbornly refuses to explore the matter farther than he already has, Tyrell gets what's coming to him. Unfortunately, though, the system is still in place and the only way to really deal with the replicant problem remains the way the system is set up to handle it.
Old July 6 2014, 01:34 PM   #37
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Wadjda wrote: View Post
i was hoping for exploration so bad. I am pumped.
I'm not so sure. Maybe it's because I love the Trek mythos so much and enjoy seeing stories which delve into it, and am weary after so many generic aliens of the week in TNG, VOY and ENT. Gonna keep an open mind, though.
Old July 7 2014, 04:17 AM   #38
BigJake
Vice Admiral

I thought stories about exploration were most of the Trek mythos.
Old July 7 2014, 07:07 AM   #39
fireproof78
Fleet Captain

BigJake wrote: View Post
What's interesting in the mythos is the more popular aspects are the ones that are not about exploration. TWOK, TUC, FC are all epic clashes with big villains.

Even some of the more popular TOS episodes are ones like "Balance of Terror" or the "Doomsday Machine," just as quick references.

I personally am hoping for more exploration too, but I have a feeling it will be exposing a threat and then having to prevent it from getting to Earth.
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 10:25 AM   #40
J. Allen
Snuggle Master

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile

I'm hoping for something with a lot of suspense. I'll be interested regardless, but something that inspires the same tension I felt the first time I watched "Balance of Terror" would be awesome.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 10:36 AM   #41
SPCTRE
basement dweller with a thumbtack's IQ

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

What we keep on coming back to is the basic credo of Star Trek, that opening prologue you hear at the beginning of each Original Series episode. That's our mantra for what we're trying to accomplish here.
They at least say a lot of things people like to hear, you gotta give them that.

[ETA: Just read the part where J.D. Payne draws parallels between Millenials and nuKirk. I withdraw my earlier statement ]

Still very much looking forward to it.
Philitas of Cos, Greek intellectual, is said by Athenaeus to have studied arguments and erroneous word usage so intensely that he wasted away and starved to death. British classicist A. Cameron speculates that P. died from a wasting disease which his contemporaries joked was caused by his pedantry.
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 03:13 PM   #42
Dennis
The Man

Yeah, it's a very generic "Love you, baby, you're looking good" kind of interview. Tells us bupkis about the next movie.
Old July 7 2014, 05:58 PM   #43
Foxhot
Commodore

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Roy Batty wasn't the villian, no.
Perhaps Deckard was. But Batty was no hero, either. He treated Sebastian cruelly. I'm just glad the death scene was off-camera. Listening to Tyrell die with your own eyes closed or open is horrible enough.
Old July 7 2014, 08:06 PM   #44
mos6507
Fleet Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Roy Batty wasn't the villian, no. Tyrell, I suppose, was.
They are both villains. Batty is the equivalent of a cancer patient who is so angry with his mortality that he shoots up a Burger King while shaking his fist to God. Sure, you can understand why he might be upset that he got the short end of the stick, and he gives a good death scene soliloquy, but that doesn't absolve him of his violent acts. He has dimension in the end, and one can feel some sympathy for his plight, but he's still a villain.
Old July 7 2014, 08:18 PM   #45
grendelsbayne
Captain

fireproof78 wrote: View Post
BigJake wrote: View Post
What's interesting in the mythos is the more popular aspects are the ones that are not about exploration. TWOK, TUC, FC are all epic clashes with big villains.

Even some of the more popular TOS episodes are ones like "Balance of Terror" or the "Doomsday Machine," just as quick references.

I personally am hoping for more exploration too, but I have a feeling it will be exposing a threat and then having to prevent it from getting to Earth.
Out of all the movies there are really only two that can be described as lacking a 'villain', and one of those two (TVH) is still fairly highly ranked by a lot of people. I think a reasonably objective poll would find it roughly as popular as TUC or FC, if not TWOK. So the fact that there are more popular movies with villains may have less to do with the idea that people love villains than it does with the fact that the studios haven't bothered to MAKE non-villain movies very much. Look at the series where it is much more common and you will see (i would expect, at least) that the popularity gap between the two styles is much smaller.

See, for instance, City on the Edge of Forever, the Naked Time, the Inner Light, In the Pale Moonlight, etc.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote