Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

First Three 2016 Trek Novel Details

Spock Documentary Close To Funding Goal

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 30 2014, 08:28 PM   #31
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Do you watch TNG movies?

mos6507 wrote: View Post
It's because TNG went straight to movies without "resting". And so everything about it, right on down to the recycling of sets and props and models, just made the films feel like big-budget TV-movies.
And yet, for me, the wonderful cinematography and lighting on GEN made it by far the most atmospheric and cinematic of all the TNG movies. The D looked magnificent in some shots, and way the bridge was shot is pure magic.
Old June 30 2014, 09:09 PM   #32
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

JesterFace wrote: View Post
This thread inspired by the TNG section and a conversation there...

Do you watch the TNG movies?
I watch Generations sometimes, but I haven't sat through "First Contact" since the time my mother was watching it on Labor Day last year. I originally bought Insurrection on DVD, watched it once, never watched it again.

As for Nemesis... what I mainly do is I watch the opening scene where whats-her-face kills the senate, then I skip to the big battle at the end, so I can pretend I'm actually watching a really expensive TNG episode (I also like to mentally substitute the E-E with the E-D, since the -E looks like something my dog pinched off after eating a rawhide bone).
Old June 30 2014, 09:10 PM   #33
Shat Happens
Captain

TOS, on the other hand, had a 10 year gap and was completely retooled when it made the leap to the movies. The production design made a very strong shift from the 60s aesthetic to the Star Wars era of motion-control. This is symbolized with the Enterprise Refit rolling out of drydock, and all the other films surfed on that new foundation.
Also, Shatner.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 05:20 AM   #34
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
It's because TNG went straight to movies without "resting". And so everything about it, right on down to the recycling of sets and props and models, just made the films feel like big-budget TV-movies.
And yet, for me, the wonderful cinematography and lighting on GEN made it by far the most atmospheric and cinematic of all the TNG movies. The D looked magnificent in some shots, and way the bridge was shot is pure magic.
There was nothing wrong with the cinematography and lighting of Generations.

The biggest problem is that it played out like a direct-to-video release.

I mean, the biggest action scene in the whole movie is the destruction of a bird of prey (itself a recycled FX shot from TUC).

They could have kept the same look and feel as the series, but with a 200 million budget, imagine what could have been. Something on an epic level. None of this "one madman wants to get to an energy ribbon" sillyness.

Killing Kirk and destroying the Enterprise D were the 2 final nails in the coffin.
Old July 4 2014, 08:25 PM   #35
wulfio
Captain

I would be inclined to watch Generations and First Contact, those are the only TNG movies I acknowledge that exist. But I rarely watch those TNG movies to begin with.

Like most, I`m more partial to the TOS movies. The ones I watch more often than the others are WoK, and UC; UC being my favourite. It`s ironic considering I much prefer TNG to any other series.

GalaxyX wrote: View Post

I mean, the biggest action scene in the whole movie is the destruction of a bird of prey (itself a recycled FX shot from TUC).
Are you insinuating that a sci-fi needs action to be worthy of a theatrical release? Or that a Star Trek movie needs action?

Because: 2001, TMP, TVH, Enemy Mine, Moon, Sunshine
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 08:39 PM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

wulfio wrote: View Post

Are you insinuating that a sci-fi needs action to be worthy of a theatrical release? Or that a Star Trek movie needs action?

I would say that general audiences expect action from Trek theatrical releases. Especially over the last twenty years.
Old July 4 2014, 09:14 PM   #37
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

If they are on TV than I might give them a look. I really don't watch the movies that much, even though I own all of them except Nemesis and Star Trek Into Darkness, which is on netflix.
Old July 4 2014, 10:52 PM   #38
Push The Button
Fleet Captain

I've seen Generations and First Contact a few times since their theatrical releases. I've been meaning to rewatch all of the TNG movies, as I've only watched Insurrection and Nemesis two times each, and have forgotten much of the details of both. (Probably because I didn't really like them the first time around and they didn't leave a lasting impression).
Old July 6 2014, 12:48 AM   #39
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

They could have kept the same look and feel as the series, but with a 200 million budget, imagine what could have been. Something on an epic level. None of this "one madman wants to get to an energy ribbon" sillyness.

Killing Kirk and destroying the Enterprise D were the 2 final nails in the coffin.
If you actually watch the season-end TNG episodes back to back -- Encounter of Farpoint, Best of Both Worlds, Redemption, Unification, Descent -- before watching Generations, it fits in pretty nicely and is in fact the best two-parter of the entire run. It's only in comparison with the TOS movies that it feels tired and underdone.

Having said that, Insurrection felt EXACTLY like a two-parter TV episode; it was slightly better than Time's Arrow but not quite as good as "Gambit." First Contact was a bit better, but the story becomes incredibly silly with repeated viewing (not unlike "I, Borg") and it's best not to expose yourself to it too often.
Old July 6 2014, 12:57 AM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The TOS movies are still fun to watch after all these years. The TNG films feel like a chore.
Old July 6 2014, 08:03 AM   #41
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
wulfio wrote: View Post

I would say that general audiences expect action from Trek theatrical releases. Especially over the last twenty years.

I would say that action is a needed part of modern movies, and even back then the lack of action was only forgiven due to the audience understanding the limitations of technology back then.

A story like 2001 done in exactly the same way could never become a hit nowadays.

With that said however, action should be something that flows naturally from a well made story.

Just look to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight for 2 excellent examples of this.

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post

If you actually watch the season-end TNG episodes back to back -- Encounter of Farpoint, Best of Both Worlds, Redemption, Unification, Descent -- before watching Generations, it fits in pretty nicely and is in fact the best two-parter of the entire run. It's only in comparison with the TOS movies that it feels tired and underdone.

Having said that, Insurrection felt EXACTLY like a two-parter TV episode; it was slightly better than Time's Arrow but not quite as good as "Gambit." First Contact was a bit better, but the story becomes incredibly silly with repeated viewing (not unlike "I, Borg") and it's best not to expose yourself to it too often.
Wow you think Generations was better than BOBW?
I was watching BOBW for the first time on Blu-Ray, and my dad sat down to watch. He didn't know I had bought the S3 and S4 sets.

He thought I was watching First Contact He was waiting for Picard to show up with the Tommy Gun.

That's how good BOBW was.

Time's Arrow was a kick ass two parter!!! What's wrong with you? slightly better than Time's Arrow? How about 10 levels worse? They should have just remade Time's Arrow with the budget they wasted on Generations.

BillJ wrote: View Post
The TOS movies are still fun to watch after all these years. The TNG films feel like a chore.
Yes, even First Contact feels like this. I can only take so much of someone hitting a jukebox and it staring to blast "Oh Ooby Dooby!!"

For facks sakes!
Old July 6 2014, 05:23 PM   #42
wulfio
Captain

I would say that action is a needed part of modern movies, and even back then the lack of action was only forgiven due to the audience understanding the limitations of technology back then.
I can`t say I agree for my own personal tastes. for me, some of the best sci-fi that has come out lately are Moon and Sunshine.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 02:41 PM   #43
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Storywise, no, but it had much better production values.

Time's Arrow was a kick ass two parter!!!
Eh. it was alright.
Old July 9 2014, 06:10 AM   #44
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Storywise, no, but it had much better production values.

Time's Arrow was a kick ass two parter!!!
Eh. it was alright.

I think Time's Arrow would have been an excellent episode on which to base a movie on.

Those aliens seemed pretty powerful to me, and it seemed strange to me that, being caught with their pants down like that, they wouldn't seek some type of revenge.
Old July 9 2014, 06:15 AM   #45
Warped9
Admiral

JesterFace wrote: View Post
Do you watch the TNG movies?
Seen them once each. Never bothered again since and likely never will.

I've seen the TOS films each a number of times over the years, but only the first two can still hold me. TVH is the worst of the six.