TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 27 2014, 07:14 PM   #1
JesterFace
Lieutenant

Do you watch TNG movies?

This thread inspired by the TNG section and a conversation there...

Do you watch the TNG movies? I don't, simply because TNG ended so well with '...All Good Things' and the movies... well, I think none of the TNG movies can match the series, not even close, so I don't like them or watch them.
JesterFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 07:19 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you watch TNG movies?

I'll give them a peek (except Insurrection), when they are on TV. But I can't remember the last time I busted out the Blu-ray's to watch.
Old June 27 2014, 07:46 PM   #3
kirk55555
Commodore

I have them all on VHS (I'm too cheap to go to DVD when the VHS's still work fine). I love First Contact, like Nemesis (somewhat flawed, but it had some good moments and I didn't outright hate much), find Generations watchable (but hugely flawed and with some horrible stuff) and hate Insurrection. Of the TNG movies only First Contact comes close to being as good as the series, but most of them have at least some good points. The exception being Insurrection, which I really can't find anything good to say about it.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 08:06 PM   #4
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Generations - Like it quite well. Watch maybe once or twice a year.

First Contact - Like, but overrated IMO. Once every 18 months possibly.

Insurrection - Like it more than FC to be honest. Once a year.

Nemesis - Dull, lifeless, boring and moribund. I struggle to finish it most occasions.
Old June 27 2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I don't have any in my library yet, so no, I don't watch them. I haven't gotten any of the original cast films yet either. I used to have them on vhs, but am using dvd now. All I have is ST2009, because it was the first one I never saw in a theater.
Old June 27 2014, 09:30 PM   #6
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I watch them as often as I was the TOS movies, which is to say not too often. Maybe once per year or two.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Smellmet
Captain

I gave them a watch over a couple of weekends for the first time in a few years;

Generations - I found had aged at least visually very well, mainly due to the excellent cinematography and good effects, the film only really falls apart at the end for me.

First Contact - always been a favorite of mine, and while it's still very entertaining, somewhat surprisingly it had dated probably the worst of the bunch, the sets and effects were not really a big enough step up from the TV series, but like I said loads of good bits and still very entertaining.

Insurrection - Suffers from a lot of the cheap-feeling problems that FC does but with a dull premise, irritating, preachy characters and no better but still really average effects - TV standard. It still had it's merits, with some decent character interaction and some nice location shooting but the whole thing came across as a bit 'meh'

Nemesis - Strange one this - again, suffers from a lot of the previous movies faults, and it had a silly, cliched, derivative plot, some really dumb scenes with a preposterous villain, but I found it to be easily as entertaining as First Contact maybe even more. I find myself watching the Scimitar battle on YouTube as much as any scene from any of the movies, JJ Trek included, and despite Data's death, find it has a certain charm, with excellent visual effects, and the best score of all four TNG movies.

I'll probably visit them again in a couple of years, I would say I watch the TOS movies more, but not by much.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 10:15 PM   #8
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Yes. Not as often as I used to. Two or three times a year back in the 90s. It's true, their movies only sporadically recaptured their family, compared to TOS. But they were more numerous. Whenever I tour the four films, I always end up feeling there's definitely this lost post-Nemesis film, that should do with TNG (if not the multiple 24th Century crews) what Undiscovered Country did for the originals. The fact there isn't leaves more bitter than sweet, taking away any desire to revisit more often I suspect. Tough going in again, knowing this ain't gonna end well.
Old June 27 2014, 10:15 PM   #9
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

I watch all the Trek movies fairly often (except for TFF, the worst of the bunch, IMO). As far as the TNG movies specifically, I love Generations, in spite of it's obvious flaws. First Contact is my favorite Trek movie, hands-down. It even ranks higher than TWOK for me. Nemesis is deeply, deeply flawed, but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Lots of good bits in there. The only one I really don't care for is Insurrection, but I'll even watch that on occasion (though it's probably the one I watch the least).
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 12:18 AM   #10
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

I watch them twice a year along with the rest of the movies, may bust them out next week actually since I'm off on medical leave. Yes they (the TNG movies) have their flaws but so do the others but there's enough in each of them that I never tire of them.
Old June 28 2014, 01:23 AM   #11
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I watch TNG movies. First Contact is my favorite, but I enjoy them all to varying degrees.
I'm gearing up to do another marathon of TNG, and will absolutely follow up the series with the movies.
Old June 28 2014, 01:28 AM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I just don't think TNG translated well to the big screen. Whether it was the type of actors or types of stories they were trying to tell, it just never felt right.
Old June 28 2014, 02:15 AM   #13
Shat Happens
Captain

I watch them every time I feel like doing some masochist stuff.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 06:51 AM   #14
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

No, I can't stand them. FC is the only watchable one. And I consider myself a huge TNG fan.

The movies were the biggest affronts to TNG as a series. It's the same actors and same sets, but not the same characters and not even near the same stories.

I used high powered lasers to melt my Nemesis DVD
Old June 28 2014, 07:03 AM   #15
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I like First Contact best of them, but don't like the goofball planetside scenes. The writers' treatment of Cochrane seems to be 'ha ha look at the country bumpkin!'