Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 24 2014, 07:37 PM   #16
Goji
Rear Admiral

Re: "Guilty Pleasure" Movies

I love the movie "Congo", but there is very little guilt involved. Any movie that has the guts to feature Joe Don Baker as the head of a global communications company, Ernie Hudson kicking near constant ass, Tim Curry affecting the most gloriously cartoonish Romanian accent this side of a Bugs Bunny short, and Laura Linney killing super intelligent murderous albino gorillas with a diamond-powered laser gun on top of an exploding volcano needs no defense, in my opinion, no matter how dumb it is.

Well, it did kill off Bruce Campbell, so it has that working against it.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 08:28 PM   #17
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

I have always loved Last Action Hero. I know it's considered one of Arnold's worst movies and was way, way overhyped, but I just enjoy watching it. It was fun watching a fake Arnold movie inside of another movie and it seemed like the creators just had a lot of fun with it. All of the celebrity cameos near the end was a little much, but it was cool seeing Arnold's character out in the real world where movie rules don't apply. Plus, it had Charles Dance, in an awesome pre-"Game of Thrones" role.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 08:35 PM   #18
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Fathom - Raquel Welch 60s spy romp.
The Matt Helm films.
The Flint films.
The Beach Party films.
IOW, you like movies with hot-looking, half-naked babes.

So do I!
Old June 24 2014, 10:10 PM   #19
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

I find nothing guilty about HELL HOUSE, but the 1973 musical remake of LOST HORIZON is unequivocably guilty as hell. Just try not to crack up during Sally Kellerman's ''dance'' number in front of George Kennedy. And 1776, another musical, would be a close runner-up when Ben Franklin dances briefly or John Adams sings obnoxiously.
Old June 24 2014, 10:39 PM   #20
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^I LOVE 1776!

Old June 24 2014, 11:51 PM   #21
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Just about any Michael Bay film. They're loud, bombastic, cheesy and obnoxious but I enjoy watching most of them.
Old June 25 2014, 12:44 AM   #22
Push The Button
Captain

auntiehill wrote: View Post
^I LOVE 1776!

I love 1776 also, it is entertaining and educational at the same time.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 01:34 AM   #23
lurok
Commodore

Dune.

(But I don't consider it bad. Just flawed. And Lynchian).
Old June 25 2014, 03:10 AM   #24
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

^Not Lynchian enough, IMO. But it is an absolutely gorgeous film to look at and it was Lynch's introduction to a number of actors that he would later cast in better roles.

I have a fondness for "bad" movies. Any bad horror movie is a great watch for me. I love watching the Friday The 13th movies and watching them get more absurd with each sequel. Killer Klowns From Outer Space is awesome, too. Another favorite is John Carpenter's film of Stephen King's Christine. Great stuff.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 12:44 AM   #25
2takesfrakes
Commodore

A Guilty Pleasure of mine is "TOP GUN" ...

Watching in Slow Motion as "Charlie" turns "my" way to say:
"Take My Breath Away"
Old June 30 2014, 03:51 AM   #26
Random_Spock
Commodore

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Mannequin... rather cheesy, but it's still fun to watch. RIP Meshach .
Old June 30 2014, 04:01 AM   #27
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

In recent years:

I loved G.I. Joe Retaliation. It's as good as any comic book movie that's been out, without the presumptions that it's any mroe than it is, or that it's trying to be a significant step in a shallow shared universe. It just is what it is, and it's loads of fun, much of that fun derives from how familiar some scenes feel. That said, the mountian-top action scene is something that is unique .. when many action set-pieces in a lot of films that year seem derivative. But the film's major asset is the Rock. I connected with him. Big, tough, yet charismatic... a very good lead in the movie, what's best is how he elevated everyone else's performance in the film when they shared scenes with him. Like that spark that existed when he was talking to Mouse while on the convoy choppers. Willis tried to phone it in but even his performance was elevated during the scenes with the Rock.. makes me want to watch another film where those two characters can work together. The film is absurd, exciting, and fun. Sorry I missed it in the theater, but it was a bright spot in what was otherwise the worst summer of my life.

Also underrated is Cloud Atlas. I think it was remarkable in just about every way.
Old June 30 2014, 02:14 PM   #28
Let the Good Times Roll!!

At the last Star Trek convention we went to, my wife and I were very tired and decided to order room service and get a pay-per-view movie. We ordered Battleship.

We've watched it twice more since then. Even our 11 year old was like "What are you guys doing??"

Silly fun.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 04:08 PM   #29
kirk55555
Commodore

I can think of a few off the top of my head that could probably be called "guilty pleasures", although I don't feel any guilt for liking them

American Warship - A cheap rip off of Battleship that was more entertaining than the actual movie.

GI Joe: Rise of Cobra and GI Joe: Retaliation - I really enjoyed both of these. I can't really defend them, but I like them.

What Dreams May Come - This seems to get a lot of hate, but I REALLY like this Robin Williams movie about death, the afterlife, and a guy's mission to save his wife's soul.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 07:30 PM   #30
Aldo
Admiral

I attribute this to watching it as a young kid and still enjoying it, but I really like "Leonard Part 6" Which is in most respects a bad film, so bad even Cosby himself told people not to see it. But I find myself digging it whenever I watch it, despite the cheese (it also has one helleva score from Leonard Bernstien.