Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 25 2014, 03:47 PM   #31
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Last Ship - Discussion Thread (spoilers possible)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Without giving too much away, a sub ends up being very integral to the book.
I was being sarcastic of course - but I assumed as well that eventually part of the storyline is that the ship would end up meeting up with others to expand the storyline.

BTW - maybe someone can answer one part of the plot that was confusing in the pilot episode. The nuclear explosion was detonated over France - or over the ocean? It wasn't clear to me in the dialogue which.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 04:31 PM   #32
Scout101
Admiral

Yes, there should be subs out there; they're never all in port and some of the boomers would have been lurking around longer than the infection took to spread.

Looked like the missles were defeated by chaff/countermeasures for the most part, only one looked to have maybe impacted (or blew up close at least). Should have been a few other systems they could have used to cut these down from far away, like the CWIS (trashcan looking gattling gun under the bridge) for example, shouldn't have been close.

Nuke looked to be a hit on either France or maybe England? Was hard to tell from the maps in the quick glance. Around the Channel, though?

Coincidence, but ended up reading a similar story over the weekend before this aired. Omega Sub, involved a new class of sub doing Avoidance testing under the icecap for a couple weeks, they come up to find everything nuked, pretty quiet. From there, investigate the silence, some survivors, some zombie-ish creatures (victims of "radiation insanity" they say), etc. Apparently part of a 5-6 book series, never read past book 1, but entertaining how similar it was.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 04:50 PM   #33
yenny
Captain

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Yes, there should be subs out there; they're never all in port and some of the boomers would have been lurking around longer than the infection took to spread.

Looked like the missles were defeated by chaff/countermeasures for the most part, only one looked to have maybe impacted (or blew up close at least). Should have been a few other systems they could have used to cut these down from far away, like the CWIS (trashcan looking gattling gun under the bridge) for example, shouldn't have been close.

Nuke looked to be a hit on either France or maybe England? Was hard to tell from the maps in the quick glance. Around the Channel, though?

Coincidence, but ended up reading a similar story over the weekend before this aired. Omega Sub, involved a new class of sub doing Avoidance testing under the icecap for a couple weeks, they come up to find everything nuked, pretty quiet. From there, investigate the silence, some survivors, some zombie-ish creatures (victims of "radiation insanity" they say), etc. Apparently part of a 5-6 book series, never read past book 1, but entertaining how similar it was.
To me, it looks like the nuclear missile was heading in the direction of Calais, France.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 05:45 PM   #34
Zaku
Captain

tenmei wrote: View Post
He also appeared to speak Italian when they boarded the cruise ship and he and Rhona Mitra discovered the survivor.
Yes, he translated the request of help of the survivor.

By the way, his Italian was atrocius and probably translated with Google Translate.

"Aiutami" is the literal translation of "Help me". But in that situation it would have been more appropriate "Aiuto" or "Aiutatemi".
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 06:28 PM   #35
The Wormhole
Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
BTW - maybe someone can answer one part of the plot that was confusing in the pilot episode. The nuclear explosion was detonated over France - or over the ocean? It wasn't clear to me in the dialogue which.
Good question. The computer tracking seemed to show it approaching France. And there seemed to be enough time for it to make it over land, but who knows?
Old June 25 2014, 07:47 PM   #36
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Can a destroyer actually feed a crew and maintain station for 4 months without an oiler and tender support?
Old June 25 2014, 11:42 PM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
So the mole guy is... who, again?

It's Ballesteros of course.

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Can a destroyer actually feed a crew and maintain station for 4 months without an oiler and tender support?
With all the unmanned refueling stations out there they should be OK.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 01:09 AM   #38
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Average deployment for surface ships is six months, and they probably took on provisions in port (they'd actually need extra for the scientists and shooters) so they should be fine on that front. As for fuel, they can stretch it by cruising slow and direct to their destinations until they can get to another fuel source

Meanwhile on the subject of similar stories, a colleague clued me in to one written and filmed in the fifties, On The Beach. Given what I found out about it William Brinkley should have been sued for infringement.

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 01:45 AM   #39
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Average deployment for surface ships is six months
It's more like 8.5 months these days, but either way, smaller ships absolutely typically hit ports every few weeks to refuel and re-stock.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 02:42 PM   #40
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Average deployment for surface ships is six months
It's more like 8.5 months these days, but either way, smaller ships absolutely typically hit ports every few weeks to refuel and re-stock.
True, but some smaller ships - like attack subs - can't do that, given the nature of their missions. In that case nuclear power takes care of the refueling need, but as for food they pack every space they can with enough food for a full deployment.

In this particular case, even though the crew of the Nathan James didn't know the nature of their mission, their superiors obviously did. Fuel needs are one thing, but I can't believe the higher-ups would be stupid enough to have the ship in port and not pack in enough food so that they wouldn't have to re-stock in the typical way, especially since available foodstuffs might be contaminated and therefore useless to them on their mission.

Of course, I fully understand that real-life history is filled with such higher-up stupidity, but I'm hoping against hope here...

-Maleficent
Old June 26 2014, 02:55 PM   #41
sojourner
Admiral

There was a line toward the end of the episode stating they had about a week's worth of food supplies left.
Old June 26 2014, 04:44 PM   #42
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

^^^Okay, I missed that.

-Maleficent
Old June 29 2014, 06:41 PM   #43
ReedEnterprise
Captain

I finally watched today and I liked it a lot. It was better than THE FALLING SKIES premiere, though I know that will pick up.

It's definitely a good fill in for the summer.

They were headed to Cuba, with one weeks worth of food left, after raiding the Italian ship. At least they dealt with it and didn't think the audience was that dumb.
Old June 29 2014, 08:29 PM   #44
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

tenmei wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Now if he starts speaking whatever language is needed in subsequent episodes, it'll be stretching things a bit.
He also appeared to speak Italian when they boarded the cruise ship and he and Rhona Mitra discovered the survivor.

My query was where did the nuke detonate - it appeared to be heading over southern England, and my thought was that they were trying to bomb London. But the location of detonation never got mentioned -
I know I am late to the conversation, but I thought the nuke was launched at the refueling station they were headed towards. Since they obviously have a spy on board revealing plans, i thought it was another attempt by the Russians to disable or strand the ship.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2014, 08:34 PM   #45
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Yes, because if you want to disable a ship, the best thing to do is nuke something right next to it.