TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 18 2014, 02:59 PM   #316
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: The Last Ship - Discussion Thread (spoilers possible)

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote:
The story with Chandler's family back in the US was kind of interesting, and part of me kind of wishes they had developed that over the course of the season, kind of like what they did with Helo stuck on Caprica back in BSG's first season.
The difference is that Helo was a member of Galactica's crew, so telling his story was part of telling the whole crew's story. In this case, the story of The Captain's Family only equates to a side story. Following the crew is more important.
Oh, I know, that's why I said "part of me kind of wishes." It would have made an interesting side story, seeing life in the US developing over the course of the season, but I realize the focus is on the Nathan James and its crew and such a subplot would have eaten valuable storytelling time from the focus of the series. And if given the choice, I would have kept things exactly as they are.

Scout101 wrote: View Post
I get that we had to care about the people in the test, and adding the Master Chief represents leadership and whatnot, but other than us knowing the face, why was the Chief Engineer in the test? On the list of people they can't afford to lose if it goes badly, she's right up there, so dumb call. Little too heavy on officers in the test when the ship should be 90% enlisted crew anyway, so pick more volunteers from there...
Well, as I recall, there was also a certain criteria the ones being tested had to meet to qualify for the tests, so likely the Chief Engineer was the only volunteer who met the criteria Dr. Scott was looking for. In fact, the Chief Engineer was the oldest female being tested, and I think she's the oldest female we've seen on the crew of the Nathan James. Master Chief was chosen because of his age and gender, maybe she was as well?
Old August 18 2014, 03:04 PM   #317
sojourner
Admiral

The Doc secretly hates ginger hair. She's trying to kill them off but being subtle about it.
Old August 18 2014, 03:17 PM   #318
JHarper
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Scout101 wrote: View Post
I get that we had to care about the people in the test, and adding the Master Chief represents leadership and whatnot, but other than us knowing the face, why was the Chief Engineer in the test? On the list of people they can't afford to lose if it goes badly, she's right up there, so dumb call. Little too heavy on officers in the test when the ship should be 90% enlisted crew anyway, so pick more volunteers from there...
I think she was more there, along with the other recurring kid to add a greater sense of danger. We could all probably guess that Tex, Foster, and the Chief were going to make it in one fashion or another, but the recurring/secondary character's are a bit more of a toss up. Still wasn't shocked that the only one that ended up dying was the one who appeared in what? One other episode? And gave a nice long tragic back story infodump in this episode.

So yeah nothing really unexpected, but it wasn't half bad.
JHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 03:32 PM   #319
The Wormhole
Admiral

I was kind of expecting the Master Chief to be the one that got killed mainly because that conversation between him, Chandler and Slattery after the funeral kind of felt like one of those spotlight moments you get in an episode where a prominent character gets killed. But, clearly I was wrong.
Old August 18 2014, 03:50 PM   #320
JHarper
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I was kind of expecting the Master Chief to be the one that got killed mainly because that conversation between him, Chandler and Slattery after the funeral kind of felt like one of those spotlight moments you get in an episode where a prominent character gets killed. But, clearly I was wrong.
I didn't really think any of the main's were going to die, but In the situation presented by the episode I'd probably pick him as most likely to. Charles Parnell is awesome though so I'm really glad they didn't throw in a curve ball like that
Old August 18 2014, 06:08 PM   #321
Aragorn
Admiral

If you really want to keep score, the characters in the main cast credits are:

Commander Tom Chandler
Dr. Rachel Scott
XO Mike Slattery
CMC Hugh Jeter
Quincy Tophet
Danny Green
Kara Foster
Alisha Granderson

Although if you go by the TNT website, Dane, Mitra and Baldwin are the only cast members.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 06:25 PM   #322
JHarper
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If you really want to keep score, the characters in the main cast credits are:

Commander Tom Chandler
Dr. Rachel Scott
XO Mike Slattery
CMC Hugh Jeter
Quincy Tophet
Danny Green
Kara Foster
Alisha Granderson

Although if you go by the TNT website, Dane, Mitra and Baldwin are the only cast members.
Isn't Ferguson up there to? Coulda swore he was. Still funny seeing him as Tex, the last thing I remember seeing him in was Caprica as Vergis

Granderson kinda puzzles me as a main character. I know she is one, but I'll have to rewatch the season. Christina Elmore just doesn't seem to get a lot of screen time/lines compared to the others.
Old August 18 2014, 06:31 PM   #323
The Wormhole
Admiral

JHarper wrote: View Post
Isn't Ferguson up there to? Coulda swore he was.
Nope, he is listed in the guest cast of every episode he's in. Which is every episode except the pilot.
Old August 20 2014, 03:14 PM   #324
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Even for something as innocuous as the Navy's twice-yearly fitness test, females are asked if there's any chance they could be pregnant, so either the docs utterly failed in their questioning (not likely, as we saw them rejecting people), or that LT seriously messed up, again.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 03:31 PM   #325
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Even for something as innocuous as the Navy's twice-yearly fitness test, females are asked if there's any chance they could be pregnant, so either the docs utterly failed in their questioning (not likely, as we saw them rejecting people), or that LT seriously messed up, again.
It's more fun imagining the Lt messing up...

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 06:03 PM   #326
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Captain Chandler: "Congratulations on your pregnancy, LT, which began under improper circumstances which you've already been disciplined for. You then proceeded to recklessly risk your own health as well as the study itself by concealing information from Dr. Scott. Looks as though the galley's found its newest head dishwasher."
Old August 20 2014, 06:10 PM   #327
sojourner
Admiral

Judging from her reaction at the end of the episode, I don't think the Lt. knew herself that she was pregnant. Dr. Scott is at fault for not noticing it when she first did the blood workup as part of her screening for test applicants.
Old August 20 2014, 07:38 PM   #328
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Ahem...

Even for something as innocuous as the Navy's twice-yearly fitness test, females are asked if there's any chance they could be pregnant
The docs may have messed up in not pressing her on this point, given her romance was made common knowledge, but there's no way she wasn't primarily at fault there. For all the docs knew, she had long-term contraception or knew herself to be infertile or hadn't had that sort of relations.
Old August 20 2014, 08:01 PM   #329
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Oh, well if you said it, that makes it official policy for sure.

How about citing a link to back that claim up?

(Hint: That question is very unlikely to be asked because its a phenomenally stupid question to ask. Asking if they are or think they may be pregnant is one thing. Asking if there's any chance at all? That's just a pointless and stupid thing to ask. "Well, sure, there's always the chance for immaculate conception, I guess...")

Last edited by Mister Fandango; August 20 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 09:03 PM   #330
sojourner
Admiral

^ Ahem...

Even for something as innocuous as the Navy's twice-yearly fitness test, females are asked if there's any chance they could be pregnant
The docs may have messed up in not pressing her on this point, given her romance was made common knowledge, but there's no way she wasn't primarily at fault there. For all the docs knew, she had long-term contraception or knew herself to be infertile or hadn't had that sort of relations.

"Ahem" what? If she didn't think she was pregnant, why would she say otherwise? There's no way she was primarily at fault there. The Doc is responsible for examining the results of the test screening/blood workup. For all the docs knew, she could have any number of undiagnosed conditions that would have disqualified the Lt. from the test. They shouldn't be taking the Lt.'s word on it. If they are, why bother doing blood workups at all?

The doc had the relevant information and fucked up.