RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,699
Members: 24,831
Currently online: 503
Newest member: Edtrecke

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 13 2014, 07:05 PM   #301
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Re: The Last Ship - Discussion Thread (spoilers possible)

I think the US Navy routinely post short biographies of the CO, XO and Command Master Chief on their ships websites.
Old August 13 2014, 09:40 PM   #302
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Starbrow, your nits are valid, and also almost entirely beside the point. Like it or not, this is a contemporary men's adventure pulp series, not much different from stories you'd find in these sorts of magazines back in the '60s:

... Such are the terms. Watch and enjoy, don't watch or enjoy, it's entirely up to you.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2014, 03:41 AM   #303
The Wormhole
Admiral

Starbrow wrote: View Post
So the captain speaks Russian? Convenient!
He spoke Russian in the pilot episode and in the third episode we find out he has the Russian edition of the book written by the Russian Admiral.

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
I think the US Navy routinely post short biographies of the CO, XO and Command Master Chief on their ships websites.
Indeed, someone earlier in this thread even provided a link to the site for the actual USS Arleigh Burke, which does provide such info. So theoretically, the Admiral would just have to Google the Nathan James and get a general bio on Chandler, Slattery and CMC Jeter. Granted, in a plague-ridden world where most of the major governments have collapsed it's unlikely the Russians have a reliable internet connection on their ship.

Gaith wrote: View Post
Starbrow, your nits are valid, and also almost entirely beside the point. Like it or not, this is a contemporary men's adventure pulp series, not much different from stories you'd find in these sorts of magazines back in the '60s:

... Such are the terms. Watch and enjoy, don't watch or enjoy, it's entirely up to you.
I and some friends of mine have been comparing the show 80s action movies, but that's a good comparison too.
Old August 14 2014, 03:58 AM   #304
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Indeed, someone earlier in this thread even provided a link to the site for the actual USS Arleigh Burke, which does provide such info. So theoretically, the Admiral would just have to Google the Nathan James and get a general bio on Chandler, Slattery and CMC Jeter. Granted, in a plague-ridden world where most of the major governments have collapsed it's unlikely the Russians have a reliable internet connection on their ship.
Remember the Russians put a spy onboard before US Navy ship captains knew of the danger of the epidemic. Presumably the internet was still reliable as the mission was planned and the official bio would have been the starting point on the briefing papers needed as they planned the mission of snatching Dr. Scott.
Old August 14 2014, 04:57 PM   #305
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post

Any chance you know where these stories have been reprinted? That one with the Nazi babe sub looks ridiculously entertaining.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2014, 05:54 PM   #306
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Starbrow wrote: View Post
So the captain speaks Russian? Convenient!

Wow, talk about black and white. all the Russians are super evil and all the Americans are super good. Talk about dichotomies, give you characters some character and not this bland cookie cutter nonsense.

. . . . . . .

We are the good guys, WE ARE INVINCIBLE! Except for the sailor we are going to kill off to create a somber mood!

What's the kill ratio now? Like 1000000000 to 1? The American's never miss and the Russians ALWAYS miss. Just full out attack, no one has yet to hit anyone on this show with anything more than a glancing blow and one guy who was shot but kept on fighting until they where on their way. who gets shot and doesn't immediately tell their friends and crew mates?
Some of these are valid plotholes but most are just "That behavior is ridiculous, that's not what I would do!!!" and some are "They are sooooo lucky, the odds of that happening are so slim." Which is purely subjective.

You do realize that you are looking for a high level of accuracy on a show being discussed on a "STAR TREK" message board right? Are you sure you are on the right site? You seem like you could spend the rest of your natural adult life just pointing out the errors and incongruencies in the Star Trek Episode Review sections of this board.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2014, 12:32 AM   #307
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Any chance you know where these stories have been reprinted? That one with the Nazi babe sub looks ridiculously entertaining.
'Fraid not, it's just random stuff I found on the Google.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2014, 02:51 AM   #308
The Wormhole
Admiral

We need more entertainment like that these days. Some guys using a German U-Boat to pick up chicks and go on an adventure is exactly what the entertainment industry is missing.
Old August 17 2014, 10:12 PM   #309
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

We need more entertainment like that these days. Some guys using a German U-Boat to pick up chicks and go on an adventure is exactly what the entertainment industry is missing.
Been there, done that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Petticoat
(They also did a TV series based on the 1959 film in 1977.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 03:30 AM   #310
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Been there, done that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Petticoat
(They also did a TV series based on the 1959 film in 1977.)
I loved that movie! Especially Lt. Crandall!

But it's not quite the same. That one is an
American boat... painted pink.

Meanwhile, that was a good episode, and now we can add House, MD to the list of ripped off stuff. Crazy treatment experiment fails and the doc gets an insight and finds the cure.

-Tom Clancy

Last edited by Admiral2; August 18 2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old August 18 2014, 03:34 AM   #311
The Wormhole
Admiral

Well, this week we get a budget-saving character piece sandwiched in between two massive action shows (which I'm assuming next week's will be, it being the finale). It's not a bad episode, certainly held my attention and we did get some more of the crew a bit fleshed out. The problem is it's one of those episodes where as soon as you know the premise you can predict exactly how it's going to play out. So Dr. Scott is testing her vaccine and needs volunteers from the crew. Right away I knew the episode would present the situation as touch and go, with things looking real bleak and one of the volunteers would die but by the end there would be a miraculous turn around and we'd have a happy ending.

We find out Lt. Foster is pregnant, which I wasn't expecting but really the revelation was hardly a surprise since I think her and Greene are the only ones on the Nathan James who have had sex since the ship set sail.

The story with Chandler's family back in the US was kind of interesting, and part of me kind of wishes they had developed that over the course of the season, kind of like what they did with Helo stuck on Caprica back in BSG's first season.

So the Russians are defeated and now the plague is cured. Sure they still have to distribute the cure, but I'm kind of wondering what direction they'll be taking the show in in it's second season.
Old August 18 2014, 04:17 AM   #312
sojourner
Admiral

Let's do the Trek count:

1. Technobabble with relatible to audience example (trojan horse).
2. Chief Engineer relaxing by reading reports/manuals
3. Captain personally administering cure.
4. redshirt death

Anyone got anymore?
Old August 18 2014, 10:57 AM   #313
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

So the big ending will be the Captain returning to Norfolk, and trying to retrieve his family. Finding resistance among the locals, and dealing with a crew who wants to take off and find their own families.

The question will be, does he get there in time to save his wife and father, or will they die and leave him to take care of his kids on his own aboard the Nathen James? For a sense of tragedy, i think the wife is a goner. He will either take the kids with him, or his father will survive and he will leave them so he can secure the world.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 01:05 PM   #314
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Let's do the Trek count:

1. Technobabble with relatible to audience example (trojan horse).
2. Chief Engineer relaxing by reading reports/manuals
3. Captain personally administering cure.
4. redshirt death

Anyone got anymore?
Nope. I think you pretty much got it covered.

Vendikarr wrote:
For a sense of tragedy, i think the wife is a goner. He will either take the kids with him, or his father will survive and he will leave them so he can secure the world.
I won't bet against this.

The Wormhole wrote:
The story with Chandler's family back in the US was kind of interesting, and part of me kind of wishes they had developed that over the course of the season, kind of like what they did with Helo stuck on Caprica back in BSG's first season.
The difference is that Helo was a member of Galactica's crew, so telling his story was part of telling the whole crew's story. In this case, the story of The Captain's Family only equates to a side story. Following the crew is more important.

-Tom Clancy
Old August 18 2014, 02:18 PM   #315
Scout101
Admiral

I get that we had to care about the people in the test, and adding the Master Chief represents leadership and whatnot, but other than us knowing the face, why was the Chief Engineer in the test? On the list of people they can't afford to lose if it goes badly, she's right up there, so dumb call. Little too heavy on officers in the test when the ship should be 90% enlisted crew anyway, so pick more volunteers from there...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote