Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 23 2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Scout101
Admiral

The Last Ship - Discussion Thread (spoilers possible)

So, anyone catch The Last Ship, new show on TNT last night before Falling Skies?

Without spoiling too much, premise is that a US Navy Destoyer is up around the North Pole for ~4 months for testing/drills, and turns out that it's really a cover for a CDC mission. A plague has gotten out of hand, and when the ship breaks cover to head south again, >80% of the world is infected or dead.

Should be an interesting short-run season (10 episodes planned, I believe), anyone else tuning in?

http://www.tntdrama.com/shows/the-la...68894548863386
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 08:06 PM   #2
sojourner
Admiral

Re: The Last Ship - Discussion Thread (spoilers possible)

Well, to damn it with faint praise, I liked it better than Falling Skies' premiere.

And to quote another show, "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!".
Old June 23 2014, 08:15 PM   #3
Dark Gilligan
Writer

I chose to watch "The Musketeers" instead (same time slot) and am very happy with my decision.
Old June 23 2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It premiered to big numbers for TNT. It drew 5.3 million viewers for its initial airing and 7.4 million viewers for its total live plus same day audience. That's the best launch for a new series on cable so far this year. Renewal for a second season is assured. I wouldn't say that if this were a broadcast network show, where a big premiere rating for a new show is quite often followed by a steep drop-off and cancellation, but cable is another story.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; June 23 2014 at 08:39 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 08:22 PM   #5
Blamo
Fleet Captain

I was initially interested in this, then I saw Bay's name attached to it.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 11:50 PM   #6
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Bay's too busy doing movies to have much day to day involvement with the show. Bay or Spielberg don't have much to do with the shows they produce. They don't have the time. They use their names to help get these projects produced and sold to the cable or network channels. They may give ideas to the producers but not much beyond that.
Old June 24 2014, 01:33 AM   #7
Gaith
Rear Admiral

So the mole guy is... who, again? One of the guys from the snowmobiles? And man, were those Russkies terrible shots! And why is the Master Chief wearing a turtleneck under his NWUs off the coast of Florida?!

Anyhow, for what it was - substance-free popcorn TV - I like it so far.

ETA: Okay, so the mole is the other scientist.

Also: a black guy dies first, because of course.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 01:38 AM   #8
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
So, anyone catch The Last Ship, new show on TNT last night before Falling Skies?

Without spoiling too much, premise is that a US Navy Destoyer is up around the North Pole for ~4 months for testing/drills, and turns out that it's really a cover for a CDC mission. A plague has gotten out of hand, and when the ship breaks cover to head south again, >80% of the world is infected or dead.

Should be an interesting short-run season (10 episodes planned, I believe), anyone else tuning in?

http://www.tntdrama.com/shows/the-la...68894548863386
Yes, I watched Space Battleship Arleigh Burke last night, and I intend to keep watching it. I was worried I wouldn't like it at first, but unlike too many people around these parts i associate Michael Bay's name with things I like, and this ended up being one more in a long line. That's actually not a surprise. Bay's good at staging military action and drama, whether he's hands on or not.

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:18 AM   #9
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
So the mole guy is... who, again? One of the guys from the snowmobiles? And man, were those Russkies terrible shots! And why is the Master Chief wearing a turtleneck under his NWUs off the coast of Florida?!

Anyhow, for what it was - substance-free popcorn TV - I like it so far.

ETA: Okay, so the mole is the other scientist.

Also: a black guy dies first, because of course.
I just watched this. Yeah, shaking my head at the black guy dying first. I don't know how much involvement Michael Bay actually has with the show, but I'm blaming him anyway .

Overall I thought it was decent. I'm not too sure about Eric Dane as the captain. He has the look and the hair, but there's something not quite there about his presence. I do think he wasn't bad in the high tension scenes and his confrontation, for lack of a better word, with Adam Baldwin wasn't too bad.

The story itself was decent. I can't say any characters really stood out. I mean, I like Rhona Mitra, but I liked her going into this, and I can't say I'm endeared by her Dr. Scott. The rest of the characters were pretty thinly sketched out so it was hard to feel any empathy for Baldwin's loss or the crewman's suicide.

In a way I think this show shouldn't get a season two. It seems like it should only be a limited series. I don't know how long they can stretch out this story without it getting more and more ridiculous.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:29 AM   #10
sojourner
Admiral

Watching Eric Dane I kept thinking, "Man, he'd make a great Dick Tracy".
Old June 24 2014, 02:33 AM   #11
Aragorn
Admiral

I was entertained but it was rather silly.

The Russian helicopter hit squad can't hit a single soldier but can nick Rhona Mitra? The ship can take direct hits that don't require repairs and don't result in the loss of life?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 03:24 AM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

I enjoyed the pilot. Not what I'll call a favourite, but fun and decent entertainment. Bit confused, is the Russian guy they captured still alive?

BTW, has anyone read the novel this show is based on? I'm nearly finished it, and man is it different than the show. Aside from the name of the ship, there aren't any other similarities. For example, the book looks at life of a US Navy destroyer which is the sole survivor or world wide nuclear war. The book is... an experience. A chore to get through at times (over 600 pages of really small print). The novel is told from the Captain's first person perspective, and in the novel, not only is he different from the character on the show, he's quite an odd character in general with outdated ideas about women serving in the Navy and an odd love of the sea. I don't recommend the book.
Old June 24 2014, 03:30 AM   #13
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Hey, yeah, what about that Russian guy?! I assume he'll show up in irons somewhere on the ship, as they could easily have cut that bit about him being alive without affecting the rest of the scene in any way. And the skipper just happens to speak Russian? Okayyy...
Old June 24 2014, 03:32 AM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
And the skipper just happens to speak Russian? Okayyy...
I don't really have a problem with that, plenty of reason why a US military officer would know any one of many languages. Maybe he has Russian friends or had to spend time in Russia at some point in his career for whatever reason? Now if he starts speaking whatever language is needed in subsequent episodes, it'll be stretching things a bit.
Old June 24 2014, 04:01 AM   #15
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it didn't bother me per se, it just came out of nowhere... as did the Russian helicopters, now that I think on it. Was there a Russian ship nearby? A secret underground ice fortress?

Also, a running gag in which the skipper speaks every language ever could get pretty funny...