RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,650
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 598
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 23 2014, 08:00 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

New Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Release

Last year, fans were unhappy with the lack of extras on the Star Trek into Darkness Blu-ray release, but a new release of the movie this fall should fix the problem. Star Trek: The Compendium will be released September 9. When the original Blu-ray edition of Star Trek into Darkness released last year, fans found […]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Lucky
Commander

Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Release

Better late than never. I wish it was an individual release and not packaged with Star Trek (2009), but I think I'll end up getting this. I've wanted to be able to watch the commentary for a while, and I'm glad we'll get to see the Imax footage.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 01:52 PM   #3
borgboy
Fleet Captain

So this new release will have film footage not on the original release, an extended cut of the movie?
Old June 28 2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

More deleted scenes--not an extended cut.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 05:53 PM   #5
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I don't really get what the Imax footage is all about. Were the deleted scenes added in for Imax theaters?
I appreciate any help. I'm a little put out at the whole double dipping here, so I want to know what exactly I'm getting when I buy this movie all over again.
Old June 28 2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
I don't really get what the Imax footage is all about. Were the deleted scenes added in for Imax theaters?
No. Some scenes were just in IMAX, but those scenes were also in non-IMAX showings... just without the IMAX.
Old June 28 2014, 06:14 PM   #7
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I appreciate any help. I'm a little put out at the whole double dipping here, so I want to know what exactly I'm getting when I buy this movie all over again.
Several portions of the film were shot with IMAX cameras. The full IMAX (about 30% of all IMAX screens out there now) is gigantic and at a 1.44:1 aspect ratio. Smaller, "Digital IMAX" cinemas have large screens, but not necessarily larger than the biggest non-IMAX cinema screens (their chief advantage is a better sound system). I saw the movie at a full-sized IMAX cinema and when the IMAX portions were on-screen, the whole screen (about 3 times the surface area covered by the regular aspect ratio) was filled. It made for some spectacular shots (the last 2 Nolan Batman movies also contained this kind of footage).

For home use, the IMAX scenes will fill in the top and bottom black bars (mimicking, albeit imperfectly, the effect of the full IMAX visuals) without zooming the image. The 2 Nolan films have this feature on Blu-ray and I was hoping it would be available for this movie (and now it will be--to me, it is enough to double-dip).

The effect is best appreciated on a large screen or sitting very close to the screen, in order to get the immersive effect. If someone sits 10 feet from a 32" (even up to mid-40"), it may not prove all that impressive. I have a 64" screen for my front projector (large for a display, but small in the sub-category of front projectors) and the effect is very impressive (but I sit 7 feet from the screen--I have watched the Nolan films on a 40" screen at a friend's house and the effect was not nearly as impressive).

The other thing some people notice (I do) is the enhanced resolution of the IMAX footage. The footage looks sharper and more detailed, without touching any settings on the display. The drawback to filming in IMAX is the bulky and noisy camera--not suitable for more intimate, dialogue-driven moments (unlikely you'll see an IMAX remake of The Remains of the Day or Glengarry Glenross, for example). But for "big picture moments", IMAX is fantastic.

For non-IMAX screenings, the IMAX footage was simply cropped to fit the regular aspect ratio.
Old June 28 2014, 06:29 PM   #8
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Ovation wrote: View Post
Several portions of the film were shot with IMAX cameras. The full IMAX (about 30% of all IMAX screens out there now) is gigantic and at a 1.44:1 aspect ratio. Smaller, "Digital IMAX" cinemas have large screens, but not necessarily larger than the biggest non-IMAX cinema screens (their chief advantage is a better sound system). I saw the movie at a full-sized IMAX cinema and when the IMAX portions were on-screen, the whole screen (about 3 times the surface area covered by the regular aspect ratio) was filled. It made for some spectacular shots (the last 2 Nolan Batman movies also contained this kind of footage).

For home use, the IMAX scenes will fill in the top and bottom black bars (mimicking, albeit imperfectly, the effect of the full IMAX visuals) without zooming the image. The 2 Nolan films have this feature on Blu-ray and I was hoping it would be available for this movie (and now it will be--to me, it is enough to double-dip).

The effect is best appreciated on a large screen or sitting very close to the screen, in order to get the immersive effect. If someone sits 10 feet from a 32" (even up to mid-40"), it may not prove all that impressive. I have a 64" screen for my front projector (large for a display, but small in the sub-category of front projectors) and the effect is very impressive (but I sit 7 feet from the screen--I have watched the Nolan films on a 40" screen at a friend's house and the effect was not nearly as impressive).

The other thing some people notice (I do) is the enhanced resolution of the IMAX footage. The footage looks sharper and more detailed, without touching any settings on the display. The drawback to filming in IMAX is the bulky and noisy camera--not suitable for more intimate, dialogue-driven moments (unlikely you'll see an IMAX remake of The Remains of the Day or Glengarry Glenross, for example). But for "big picture moments", IMAX is fantastic.

For non-IMAX screenings, the IMAX footage was simply cropped to fit the regular aspect ratio.
Yes, IMAX on my home cinema system is f**king amazing! The Dark Knight/Rises, Tron Legacy etc. BD's are really outstanding - beautiful transfers. As you say, incredibly immersive and a far, far superior/exciting cinematic experience than lame 3D IMHO.

Coupled with a kick ass "window shaking" uncompressed soundtrack - you're really talking home cinema!
Old June 28 2014, 06:52 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm a little put out at the whole double dipping here...
You picked the wrong franchise to be a fan of if you're put off by double-dipping!
Old June 29 2014, 02:18 AM   #10
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Fair enough. I have had tons of Trek vhs tapes, laserdiscs, dvds, and now I'm upgrading everything to blu ray. I am still a little put out over replacing one blu ray with another blu ray, but it sounds like the upgrade will be worth it.
Old June 29 2014, 02:43 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Fair enough. I have had tons of Trek vhs tapes, laserdiscs, dvds, and now I'm upgrading everything to blu ray. I am still a little put out over replacing one blu ray with another blu ray, but it sounds like the upgrade will be worth it.
Double-dipping is our cross to bear as Trek fans!
Old June 29 2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I'm having trouble convincing myself it will be worth it. Maybe if the rebate is really good, but I doubt it. They should have just put this version out in the first place.
Old June 29 2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Well, it is up to each person to decide, of course. For me, the IMAX footage is what makes it worth it, but I have appropriate gear to take advantage of what it offers. If all I had was what is in my living room (32" standard definition CRT TV), I wouldn't bother. Others will want all the extras. These kinds of deluxe sets are gravy to the studio. They know most people won't bother double-dipping (though, perhaps with Trek fans, they expect a greater degree of double-dipping).
Old June 29 2014, 04:27 PM   #14
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

They know most people won't bother double-dipping (though, perhaps with Trek fans, they expect a greater degree of double-dipping).
I think this set is going to do rather well as far as double-dipping goes. With the overwhelming criticism and voluminous bad press over the initial release, I get the impression some fans have held off purchasing STID at all - anticipating something akin to The Compendium.
Old June 29 2014, 06:51 PM   #15
Ovation
Vice Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
They know most people won't bother double-dipping (though, perhaps with Trek fans, they expect a greater degree of double-dipping).
I think this set is going to do rather well as far as double-dipping goes. With the overwhelming criticism and voluminous bad press over the initial release, I get the impression some fans have held off purchasing STID at all - anticipating something akin to The Compendium.
Perhaps you're right. I do know it works both ways with deluxe sets more generally. I have deluxe sets of Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, Casablanca and a few others on Blu-ray. These titles were all relatively quickly available as movie only releases, but many others were like Trek, in reverse (and sometimes with several years longer wait times). The same kind of hue and cry among Trek fans for less than fully loaded releases were voiced (sometimes rather loudly at some of the A/V fora I frequent) over the lack of a "bare bones" release. The plain truth is the only way to avoid generating bitter reactions is to release the deluxe and plain versions simultaneously. But marketing departments hate that idea.