Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2014, 12:17 AM   #151
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Re: True Blood SEASON 7

Well, that happened. I'd give this episode a "C" if I'm being generous.

I thought, except for a couple of flashes of the surreal awesomeness the show once had with Eric and Pam, that the finale was a completely dull and unsatisfactory ending that mistreated (not unusual for this show) or shortchanged many of the characters.

The good:

- Eric and Pam finally remembering that they were superpowered vampires and tearing the Fakeuza to shreds in seconds, though it makes the last several episodes where they were captured or in peril from them look idiotic.

- Eric and Pam as late night infomercial hosts. Brilliant. I could watch an entire show of them being rich New Blood merchants and celebrities.

- Eric recalling his inner Zoolander and going all Night at the Fangtasiabury to the techno in the Hackuza's Tokyo Drift car.

- Bill actually dying. I'm amazed they actually went though with it, though all the angst and dragging on to get there in the back-half of this season and this episode was interminable. I thought he was supposed to be rapidly dying, yet somehow they managed to make it seem like an eternity.

As soon as Sookie started hearing his thoughts, I was positive they were going to have her stupid fairy lightburst change him into a human in his weakened state, so they could live happily ever after. Uggh, that would have been awful.

At least Bill didn't rise out of the blood like the T-1000 only to reveal in the flash-forward that he was living in the mountains as a lonely vampire lumberjack because he could never be with the one he loved.

The bad:

- Bill emotionally blackmailing everyone around him in a final act of paternalistic dickishness.

Sookayyy, I'm a self-loathing emo vampire, so I want you to have a fulfilling life and children without me because adoption or sperm donors don't exist in this universe. But instead of just walking into the Sun or waiting for my disease to kill me in five minutes, I want to burden you with lifelong guilt and emotional trauma by having you kill me yourself. Also please do it by simultaneously giving up a hugely important part of your identity even though just getting rid of your Fairy Force Lightning powers should not in any way prevent vampires from still smelling your fairy blood. Or, failing that, stake me though the heart and disgustingly straddle my pool of goo in a coffin, since that won't add to your massive case of Bon Temps PTSD or reputation for necrophilia at all. Seriously, if you just bury me I'll be dead in hours, but screw that, I have to be a drama queen about it.

Jessica, remember everything I just said to Sookayyy? Forget it and marry a human who from his perspective just met you yesterday (in addition to finding out his mom died, breaking up with his girlfriend, realizing everyone he loved in life betrayed him and erased his memories, and killing someone), because I thought the first day marriage proposal in Frozen was adorable even though it's even called crazy there. Even though things didn't work out with Hoyt before, and all the same personality quirks and defects still exist but now are also coupled with massive deception, I'm gonna use my impending death to ransom a silver bullet shotgun wedding out of you that you are clearly not comfortable with.

- No love for Lafayette, huh? I guess his story ended with the shitty Tara storyline and he's not even allowed some of his trademark clever quips in the finale, or even a single line of dialogue for that matter. Because we know he wouldn't have anything funny to say at that wedding he wasn't even invited to. At least he got to sit at Thanksgiving dinner with his boyfriend.

- No followup on how the aftermath of the Hep-V crisis changed the country. In the front-half of the season it seemed like an apocalyptic crisis with whole towns being wiped out and cities/corporations losing power (like in Dallas), the US government abandoning whole areas to ruin, and humans and vampires dying in droves, but I guess that didn't warrant any kind of followup after Bon Temps defeated their sick vampire nest.

- Sarah Newlin was originally an evil Hitlerish dirtbag who could have died by Eric's hand and I would be fine, but having her basically be depicted as an insane pathetic idiot in this season rather than a genocidal schemer kind of switched the hatred to pity. Which is why the revelation that she's stuck in the Fangtasia sex dungeon being fed upon for the rest of her life and hallucinating Steve Newlin (seriously, he gets lines but not Lafayette?) did not have the "she got her just deserts" effect I'm sure the producers intended.

- No Ginger on the infomercial or in Fangtasia? Did she explode in orgasm from recalling her two seconds of glory with Eric?

- Sam was barely part of the finale either except for showing up at dinner, but at least they had him leave town first to explain his absence, unlike Lafayette.

It could have been so much worse given this show's history, like having werekoalas and unicorns show up or something, but the fixation on Sookie and Bill's boring emotionally abusive love-hate relationship, and the short-shrift given to others (seriously, Arlene got lines but not Lafayette?) made it ultimately disappointing, and took away from what was otherwise a nice Led Zeppelin fade away montage.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 09:41 AM   #152
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I wonder why Jessica didn't just restore Hoyt's memories.

Anyway, I was quite surprised that Bill actually died. It seemed that they were leading up to turning both him and Sookie human for a happily ever after, which would have been a lot better than showing her pregnant by some anonymous, irrelevant dude that we only see from the back. I don't really get all the hate for Bill. If they were going to do this, they should have let Alcide live.

Other than that, the look ahead was nice, but unconvincing. No more deadly supernatural crises ever in Bon Temps? Suddenly it's just another small town in America? Well,then Sam should come home, right? And, while it's nice to see Jason get his act together, it should have been with an established character than we could care about and not just a last-minute addition. Overall, nothing much seems to have happened in five years.

And the sign at the stock exchange said Wednesday, July 11. That would make it 2018. Does that fit in with the established timeline?

teacake wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
"She's true dead, Jim."

"PAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!"

You know we really missed out with TOS being in that decade. I would have loved to have seen them pair Kirk with a woman like Lwaxana or Pam.
A new Star Trek series on HBO would be great. At last it could be as sexy as it should be.
Old August 26 2014, 12:35 PM   #153
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

And the sign at the stock exchange said Wednesday, July 11. That would make it 2018. Does that fit in with the established timeline?
That was Wed. July 11th, 2012. The final scene is Thanksgiving, 2014.

By the way, I think I know who Sookie's significant other was, and he's pretty consistent with her previous choices of boyfriends:

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; August 26 2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old August 26 2014, 01:07 PM   #154
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

haha they should have actually made it that actor, dressed as Dexter.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 01:53 PM   #155
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

On another note, Jason's daughters might have more fairy blood in them than you would think, since he apparently has a daughter who looks at least six years old even though only three years have passed:

Old August 26 2014, 03:58 PM   #156
Shanndee
Commodore

I wonder why Jessica didn't just restore Hoyt's memories.

Anyway, I was quite surprised that Bill actually died. It seemed that they were leading up to turning both him and Sookie human for a happily ever after, which would have been a lot better than showing her pregnant by some anonymous, irrelevant dude that we only see from the back. I don't really get all the hate for Bill. If they were going to do this, they should have let Alcide live.
I wanted Hoyt to have his memory restored, but I doubt that the wedding and renewed friendship with Jason would have occurred if he knew the depth of their betrayal!

I, for one, would have been horrified if they had given Sookie and Bill a "happily ever after". This relationship was toxic and emotionally abusive. As Teacake pointed out, he was horribly controlling, and everyone had to do things to suit him, not things that were good for the individual. Hubby and I cheered when he died (probably not the response the show runners wanted, but all the vast majority of responses on sites I visit were celebratory )

I was fine with Sookie ending up with an unknown person. That shows that she moved on with her life. My problem is the insinuation that for life to be complete, women need to have husbands and babies .

in retrospect, I'm put out that Lafayette didn't even have a line in this episode! Oh well, I will cherish that they killed the horrible one, even if the build up to the death came at the expense of good characters.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 04:03 PM   #157
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
the finale was a completely dull and unsatisfactory ending that mistreated (not unusual for this show) or shortchanged many of the characters.
Yeah, that about sums up the whole last season. Pretty dull and uninteresting. The first two seasons were really the best, and things kinda got crazy and weird after that, and then it just slid into mediocrity.

I didn't really expect much from the finale. It certainly could've been a lot worse. In some ways I think it would've been better if it was really bad rather than just mediocre and not at all memorable.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 10:29 PM   #158
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

If I was Sookie I would not want to have babies. What would be the point? Obviously they will be abducted, have their memories wiped, turn against you and become evil, develop horrible powers and be the target of every vampire in existence for their sweet blood.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 11:33 PM   #159
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Everything was good after Bill died.

Bill was the shit magnet, not Sooki.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 09:38 AM   #160
RJDiogenes

I don't think that fits, unless the story actually started before the show. The first flash forward was one year later, then the second flash forward at the stock exchange was three years after that, and Thanksgiving was the same year (so four years later, although I thought it was five when I wrote my first post). The show started in 2008. I wasn't sure how much time had passed in story time, especially since Sookie spent a year (or was it more?) in Faerieland. But if the story roughly matched real time then 2018 would make sense.

By the way, I think I know who Sookie's significant other was, and he's pretty consistent with her previous choices of boyfriends:
Another thing I noticed when re-watching the flash forwards was that Sookie's refrigerator was well-stocked with New Blood and her mysterious husband was only seen at night. Maybe old habits die hard....

Shanndee wrote: View Post
I wanted Hoyt to have his memory restored, but I doubt that the wedding and renewed friendship with Jason would have occurred if he knew the depth of their betrayal!
You'd think he would have asked, though. Maybe they glamored him to forget that he asked.

I, for one, would have been horrified if they had given Sookie and Bill a "happily ever after". This relationship was toxic and emotionally abusive.
Eh, the contrast between the 19th-century vampire and the 21st century woman was part of the premise of the show. And all these types of shows (True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Twilight, and whatever) involve women attracted to multiple supernatural mass murderers and serial killers, so toxic is just a day in the life.
Old August 27 2014, 05:00 PM   #161
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

The show started in 2008. I wasn't sure how much time had passed in story time, especially since Sookie spent a year (or was it more?) in Faerieland. But if the story roughly matched real time then 2018 would make sense.
It doesn't match real time. Each season takes place in 2-3 weeks, and each season leads directly into each other. From the time Sookie met Bill in the pilot, to the time she went into Fairyland (season 3/4), only about 7-8 weeks would have passed.

There was the missing year from Fairyland, then the other flash forwards were when Sam sold the bar, and then the finale. Were there any others? I don't remember if there were ... Anyway, not that much time has gone by in-series.

And still, the writers can't figure out how to, ya know, write. Shame, really. I live-blogged the finale on Facebook, and give it a solid D.
Old August 27 2014, 08:50 PM   #162
Skywalker
Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
The show started in 2008. I wasn't sure how much time had passed in story time, especially since Sookie spent a year (or was it more?) in Faerieland. But if the story roughly matched real time then 2018 would make sense.
It doesn't match real time. Each season takes place in 2-3 weeks, and each season leads directly into each other. From the time Sookie met Bill in the pilot, to the time she went into Fairyland (season 3/4), only about 7-8 weeks would have passed.

There was the missing year from Fairyland, then the other flash forwards were when Sam sold the bar, and then the finale. Were there any others? I don't remember if there were ... Anyway, not that much time has gone by in-series.

And still, the writers can't figure out how to, ya know, write. Shame, really. I live-blogged the finale on Facebook, and give it a solid D.
I figured the final season took place in 2011. The diary entries Sookie was reading from that ghost town they visited were written in 2011.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 09:44 PM   #163
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I don't think that fits, unless the story actually started before the show. The first flash forward was one year later, then the second flash forward at the stock exchange was three years after that, and Thanksgiving was the same year (so four years later, although I thought it was five when I wrote my first post). The show started in 2008. I wasn't sure how much time had passed in story time, especially since Sookie spent a year (or was it more?) in Faerieland. But if the story roughly matched real time then 2018 would make sense.
The final season takes place in 2011. It was confirmed onscreen when they read the girl's diary in the deserted town (I forget which episode, but in the first half of the season).

The first jump was a year to Eric and Pam at the stock exchange, and the last Wed. July 11th was in 2012, so that fits.

I took the "three years later" to indicate three years from the initial starting point of 2011, not from the last jump to 2012. But even if it was from 2012, it would still just be Thanksgiving 2015.

ETA: That'll teach me not to read the next page before responding.
Old August 28 2014, 01:16 AM   #164
Skywalker
Admiral

Ha! Usually I'm the one who does that. Feels weird to be on the other side of it for a change.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2014, 09:38 AM   #165
RJDiogenes

Well, it can't be 2015, because there's no Wednesday, July 11th, in 2015. The only two choices are 2012 and 2018. I'm pretty sure the second jump said "Three years after that," but I'd have to check. But that doesn't fit with the ghost town dates either way. And it doesn't fit with OmahaStar's timeline estimate either.

Basically the timeline makes no sense whatsoever, unless we just assume there's some minor difference in the calendar in their universe.