Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Closed Thread

Old July 6 2014, 08:31 AM   #76
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Vodka?
Yeah. I found out later that most of my extra-curricular activities were just hallucinations. (I was in high school -- I had to buy the cheap stuff.)
Old July 7 2014, 07:19 PM   #77
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

andriech wrote: View Post
(and on the other issue...I didn't come here bragging about writing a script for Komack: I was just using it as an example. It doesn't really matter if anyone believes me or not. I know, and that's enough for me - I don't need to invest the time in having family and friends come here to testify as to what happened. Doubleohfive - I guess I was a lot older at 14 than you were.
You made an outrageous claim that isn't easily validated or verifiable (save for your own personal word) which flies in the face of everything I've been taught or observed about this business since I started, you know, working in it nearly a decade ago.

I didn't say that what you were telling us is impossible.

Nor did I accuse you of lying.

I asked if it were possible that you might be misremembering things, or perhaps just not privy to all the facts of the situation given how young you were then and how much time has passed since.

I was 14 when I was 14 and while there are some things I remember with the clarity of the Hubble Telescope, there are other things I couldn't recall if my life depended on it. Every year my memory of things fades a little bit, as I suspect it does for everyone. Neither of us are machines and we can't simply recall every single detail about every single moment in our lives precisely on command. You'll forgive me then if I take your assertion with a grain of salt.

I created and ran a biannual "Town Beautification" event, I produced a Variety Show and ran a carnival both to raise money for MDA, I built sets for the local pro theater, and I was volunteering as an adult for the GSA, in addition to editing and publishing a fanzine...all while I was 14. Ya know, at the time I used to pedal my banana seat bike to the local lumberyard and sweet talk the workers into giving me 1x8x10 "scrap" wood and rode it home to build a 10x10x10 "play house" and once a week would ride it 13 miles round trip to purchase the latest "Tony Orlando and Dawn" release - and I, myself, find those completely hard to believe - though I know I did them. I suspect we all did stuff when we were young that is now hard to believe - a lot harder to believe than a known unscrupulous producer bought a cheap script to get a quick, low budget episode out. So I am fine if people don't believe it - that's not why I discussed it.)
That's all really cool. And in my day, it took 15 minutes to connect to Netscape Navigator to check my email. None of which however has to do with the claim you made or my query of you.

Last edited by doubleohfive; July 7 2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old July 7 2014, 09:07 PM   #78
Maurice
Vice Admiral

For the Chico story as described to be true, the following must necessarily follow (assuming IMBD's credits are correct to the episode):
  1. Komack took the story and "paid" with two twenties
  2. This script was so good it was shot with "no changes", even though sitcoms typically work in an iterative fashion where table reads and rehearsals result in adjustments
  3. Ron Friedman took story by credit (and presumably payment), knowing he didn't write it
  4. George Arthur Bloom and Henry Irving shared teleplay credit with Friedman (and presumably payment), meaning three writers took credit for something none of them worked on (if it was shot with "no changes")
Possible? Likely? You decide...
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old July 8 2014, 05:08 AM   #79
Super Space Star
Lieutenant

Maurice wrote: View Post
For the Chico story as described to be true, the following must necessarily follow (assuming IMBD's credits are correct to the episode):
  2. This script was so good it was shot with "no changes", even though sitcoms typically work in an iterative fashion where table reads and rehearsals result in adjustments
  3. Ron Friedman took story by credit (and presumably payment), knowing he didn't write it
  4. George Arthur Bloom and Henry Irving shared teleplay credit with Friedman (and presumably payment), meaning three writers took credit for something none of them worked on (if it was shot with "no changes")
You don't know much about Hollywood, do you? Either that, or you're playing dumb.

Last edited by Super Space Star; July 8 2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old July 8 2014, 05:41 AM   #80
Harvey
Admiral

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Maurice knows a thing or two about Hollywood.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old July 8 2014, 05:51 AM   #81
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

More than most.
Old July 8 2014, 06:03 AM   #82
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

The OP told a tall tale and was called out on it. I say we move on.

I recently reread Shirley Maiewski's original "Mind-sifter" as well as the version that was edited and published in The New Voyages. I also read andreich's script (which I'm not going to link to- I'll leave that to her, if she chooses- but it is easy enough to find if you're interested) and found it interesting.

Last edited by Kelso; July 8 2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old July 8 2014, 06:08 AM   #83
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I stumbled upon a used copy of the New Voyages anthology a few weeks ago. I'm kicking myself for not buying it then because now I want to go back and read the short story. Hopefully it'll still be there tomorrow!

Though from what you describe, it sounds like, thematically, having the triumvirate together at the end would make sense.
Old July 8 2014, 06:14 AM   #84
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Oh, drat. It didn't even occur to me that I should have spoiler-tagged those comments. Whoops!
Old July 8 2014, 09:23 AM   #85
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Super Space Star wrote: View Post
You don't know much about Hollywood, do you? Either that, or your playing dumb.
If you would actually pay attention I wasn't saying what happened. I simply pointed out what would have to be the case had it actually happened as related, and leave it to everyone to decide for themselves how likely that is.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; July 8 2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old July 8 2014, 02:37 PM   #86
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Maurice knows quite a lot about "Hollywood" and the writing craft.
Old July 8 2014, 04:31 PM   #87
Dennis
Commodore

I know a bit - certainly enough to know that you're blowing smoke; you've no idea what you're talking about.

What the hell, I'll just say it: the story being told here about the authorship and sale of that script is not true. Sorry if that disillusions anyone.

Old July 8 2014, 04:53 PM   #88
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Dennis wrote: View Post

What the hell, I'll just say it: the story being told here about the authorship and sale of that script is not true. Sorry if that disillusions anyone.
I think the thing that trips me up is: how does the author know the episode was a word for word reproduction? Sorry if I missed the explanation. Did she keep a copy of her hand-written script? How would she even know when that particular episode was due to air? This was before word processors and VCR's were in common use.

Could she have sent something that became the basis for an episode? I think so. Did she send a completed script that required absolutely no work on the production company's end? I doubt it.
Old July 8 2014, 07:40 PM   #89
Super Space Star
Lieutenant

If you would actually pay attention I wasn't saying what happened. I simply pointed out what would have to be the case had it actually happened as related, and leave it to everyone to decide for themselves how likely that is.
Why don't you stop being a coward and just call her a liar. And it is clear that you are either an idiot or just pretending not to know about Hollywood's long history of ghost writing and just flat out plagiarism. There are many who will happily put their name on someone else's writing. In advance, no, I have never had a script plagiarized.
Old July 8 2014, 07:54 PM   #90
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

Not to be mean, or trying to dictate the course of the thread, but I don't think PII is re-filming Chico and the Man.

What I'm wondering is that given they had a successful kickstarter, how quickly will we start seeing the three eps in the pipeline.
Closed Thread