RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 543
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: What did Picard mean by 150+
150+ planets total 6 12.00%
150+ Federation members 29 58.00%
150+ Species homeworlds 12 24.00%
Something else 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 22 2014, 02:06 AM   #1
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

What Did Picard Mean?

Lily: "How many planets are in this Federation?"

Picard: "Over one hundred and fifty, spread across eight thousand light years"

The 150+ planets figure isn't exact, but it not overly vague either. Lily didn't ask about members, but she wouldn't have known too. What planets would Picard have been including in the number he stated?

Just 150+ planets total. That's it. The combination of all Federation members and colonies and any other worlds that are a part of the Federation.

150+ Federation members. And then in addition to that number, colonies and any other worlds that are a part of the Federation.

150+ Species homeworlds
. And then there would be more Federation members that aren't homeworlds (former colonies, members from other sources, etc.). Mars is a Federation member, but it isn't a species homeworld and wouldn't have been included in Picard's number. And then in addition to that, colonies and any other worlds that are a part of the Federation.

Or Picard meant something else by his statement.

From my reading of posts here through the years, most people seem to believe that the number is the total amount of Federation members, and so the number of species homeworlds would be less. Perhaps only a few dozen.

I like the possibility that the number is just species homeworlds, with there being even more members beyond that. The total count of members could be many hundreds.

Captain Kirk referred to the Federation in the twenty-third century as being "vast."

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 02:37 AM   #2
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Re: What Did Picard Mean?

My take is, that he meant, for example, that if he were talking about Earth, and we theoretically "inhabited" Mars, Earth was the main and "official" planet of our system, so Sol would count as one, not two...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 02:51 AM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

I figure he meant 150+ Federation members.
Old June 22 2014, 02:59 AM   #4
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

That's a good question. If you gave an 'Undecided/Open to interpretation' option, that would be my choice.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 03:12 AM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

bbjeg wrote: View Post
If you gave an 'Undecided/Open to interpretation' option, that would be my choice.
+1

I think it's vague enough to be open to interpretation, plus I don't believe anything else nails it down. Closest I can think of is the Kirk line from "Metamorphosis":

Metamorphosis wrote:
We're on a thousand planets and spreading out. We cross fantastic distances and everything's alive, Cochrane.
Old June 22 2014, 03:22 AM   #6
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

That's a good question. If you gave an 'Undecided/Open to interpretation' option, that would be my choice.
I kind'a did, that would be option four on the poll.

BillJ wrote: View Post
the Kirk line from "Metamorphosis":
I've alway took that to be Humanity, and not the Federation.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 03:26 AM   #7
TheSubCommander
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Lily: "How many planets are in this Federation?"

Picard: "Over one hundred and fifty, spread across eight thousand light years"

The 150+ planets figure isn't exact, but it not overly vague either. Lily didn't ask about members, but she wouldn't have known too. What planets would Picard have been including in the number he stated?

Just 150+ planets total. That's it. The combination of all Federation members and colonies and any other worlds that are a part of the Federation.

150+ Federation members. And then in addition to that number, colonies and any other worlds that are a part of the Federation.

150+ Species homeworlds
. And then there would be more Federation members that aren't homeworlds (former colonies, members from other sources, etc.). Mars is a Federation member, but it isn't a species homeworld and wouldn't have been included in Picard's number. And then in addition to that, colonies and any other worlds that are a part of the Federation.

Or Picard meant something else by his statement.

From my reading of posts here through the years, most people seem to believe that the number is the total amount of Federation members, and so the number of species homeworlds would be less. Perhaps only a few dozen.

I like the possibility that the number is just species homeworlds, with there being even more members beyond that. The total count of members could be many hundreds.

Captain Kirk referred to the Federation in the twenty-third century as being "vast."

If you take it literally, Lilly is asking how many planets there are, and Picard answers the question directly, and gives her a number. Humans alone have a number of colony worlds, as do the Vulcans, Andorians, and I am sure pretty much every founding member had at least a colony world, even if in their own star system. After all, the prerequisite is to be Warp capable, and many warp capable civilizations are going to be exploring even before they encounter the Feds. It's not as though the feds find a world, watch secretly for decades until that world develops a rudimentary warp drive so the technicality is met, reveal themselves, and say "Hey wanna join our club?"

I think that 150 planet figure could also include planets claimed by the federation, but not necessarily Class M. Remember the Regula 1, for example, was a rock in space, they hollowed out for testing Genesis. But it was in Federation space. So, it could very well be that while there might be 150+ planets in the federation, that doesn't necessarily mean there are 150 species.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 03:40 AM   #8
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I assumed 150 member polities. I'm not sure if that include colonies or not; in the case of Alpha Centauri, yes, in the case of Starname Latin-number IV, no.
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 03:50 AM   #9
Enterprise1701
Captain

I think that he was talking about total member states although his wording was somewhat inaccurate. Think about it. If most solar systems are somewhat like the Sol System, having 8 planets each, then the Federation would only have to have 19 member solar systems for at least 150 total planets. I suppose there isn't anything that definitely makes that impossible, but only 19 members in 2373? That would be a letdown.

Star Trek usually refers to capital planets of the Federation as Federation members. It bugs me so much.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 04:03 AM   #10
Push The Button
Captain

The dialogue in the scene seems to suggest that there are 150 planets that are Federation members.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 04:36 AM   #11
MacLeod
Admiral

I took it too mean 150+ members.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 04:39 AM   #12
Last Redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

I took it as Federation members, and it was either a vague statement or a slip-up of words on Picard's part.
Last Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 05:01 AM   #13
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I kind'a did, that would be option four on the poll.
Then four it is. I was hesitant to choose it because any of the others could be right.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 07:10 AM   #14
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I like to believe its 150+ species homeworlds, once they enter the UFP their colonies are also included--unless a colonial government opts to remain independent.
Old June 22 2014, 08:36 AM   #15
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I assumed it to be members too. "in this Federation" I always took to sort of say "how diverse is the Federation"
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote