Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 21 2014, 12:47 AM   #16
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Broken Bones!

I was about 36, I think, when I fell down the stairs and broke my foot and ankle. I have since broken a few toes, but that's it. So far, at least.
Old June 21 2014, 12:51 AM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I swore my 17 year-old son was going to break a bone today.

We were cleaning the gutters and he climbed up on the roof then said he'd fall if he tried to take the ladder back down. So he jumped off the fucking roof! Kid has watched way too much Tosh.O.

Bent his knees as he came down and walked away without a scratch!

I broke my wrist at 25.
Old June 21 2014, 12:54 AM   #18
LordMudd
Lieutenant Commander

Broke my arm at 5. Shattered both bones and they were sticking out of my arm. Bawled my eyes out the whole time except during the x-ray. There was this huge machine over the bed and I asked what they were going to do and the nurse said they were going to take my picture. My mom said I threw out the biggest grin she ever saw.

CCC.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 01:33 AM   #19
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I've only had one broken bone in my life, and that happened when I was 16. It was a hairline fracture of a tiny wrist bone due to a bicycling accident.

Some years ago I stupidly jumped from a high wall onto hard pavement and thought I had broken a big toe, but it was only dislocated. The orthopedist shot the toe full of lidocaine and popped it back in place, and it was right as rain.
Old June 21 2014, 01:41 AM   #20
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Broke my knee at 39, had surgery, it's not worked right since.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 01:53 AM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Not speaking of Leonard H. here!

After 45 years on this planet, I suffered my first broken bone today - fourth toe on my right foot! It was a bizarre accident I won't elaborate on; but suffice it to say - it was an extremely painful "heard it go snap" type event!

Thinking about it, pretty much everyone I know has endured at least one, often several, broken bones, and I was wondering if I've actually been extraordinarily fortunate? I'm certainly not a stay at home "risk averse" person.

Can anyone top 45 years sans a bone break?
I'm not sure I'd count a broken toe as a "broken bone." Yeah, you broke a bone but a broken toe beyond the pain is hardly a big deal. I've broken a toe, did it as a teenager when I dropped a cinder-block on my sneakered foot. Yeah, hurts like a bitch but all you can do is a buddy-tape and pop some Asprin.

Beyond that I've never broken a bone, and I'm 35.

When I think "broken bone" I think a limb or more major bone that requires a trip to the hospital, a cast, possibly surgery and metal plates. My brother broke his arm at 8 by jumping off the deck and using his arm to brace his fall on the concrete driveway below. No surgery as it wasn't too serious a break, but still required a cast for 6-weeks.

Girl I knew broke her arm in a car accident just outside of high school, this break requiring surgery and a metal plate put in her arm and some physical therapy. IIRC it was a compound fracture.

Then there's me... And dropping a stupid cinder-block on my foot and breaking my ring-finger... toe?
Old June 21 2014, 02:04 AM   #22
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Do you wear rings on your toes? That's cute!
Old June 21 2014, 02:08 AM   #23
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I broke my left collarbone in a car accident when I was 17. Two years later I broke my tailbone while giving birth to my first child.

Since then I have been break-free.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 05:21 AM   #24
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

I'm not sure I'd count a broken toe as a "broken bone." Yeah, you broke a bone but a broken toe beyond the pain is hardly a big deal. I've broken a toe, did it as a teenager when I dropped a cinder-block on my sneakered foot. Yeah, hurts like a bitch but all you can do is a buddy-tape and pop some Asprin.

. . . When I think "broken bone" I think a limb or more major bone that requires a trip to the hospital, a cast, possibly surgery and metal plates.
When I fractured a small bone in my wrist, it still required my hand and lower arm to be in a cast for six weeks.

Your body has 200 bones (not counting the three little ones in each middle ear). If you break any one of them, it's a broken bone.
Old June 21 2014, 06:42 AM   #25
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

When I was 9, I fell down the stairs at school, tore the ligaments in my right ankle and fractured my right heel. I had to wear a cast and use crutches for six weeks. I'm jealous when I see people with casts on their feet just walking relatively normally. I guess they've gotten better at making casts that actually immobilize the broken ankle/foot while still allowing some weight to be put on it.

Also... if any of you have ever gone bowling, you know how there's usually a sign telling you not to take beverages past a certain point? There's a reason for that. Beverages drip (even if they're not actually spilled) and liquid gets on the floor. Then people can walk through the drops and get the bottom of their bowling shoes wet. When bowling shoes get wet, they don't slide. When they don't slide, and you're on the approach about to release your ball, your foot stops suddenly but the rest of you keeps going, and you land flat on your face.

At least, I've done that. Twice. And broken both my big toes in the process, about a year apart.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It can be worse than that. Following my bowling accidents I describe above, I've suffered from occasional gout flareups. Gout hurts like hell - I usually walk pretty quickly compared to most people, but when I'm having a flareup, I can only walk at about one-third of my normal speed. I take over-the-counter naproxen (an anti-inflammatory) when I have flareups, but even so, it usually takes three days to a week for it to subside and the swelling to go back down, and to regain my normal walking ability.

(Also: gout is not caused by an excess of rich food or alcohol. Those will cause a flareup, or make it worse, but gout is actually a form of arthritis. Breaking both big toes is what caused it. At least, that's what the doctor at the hospital told me when I went to have it checked out, the first time.)
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 08:21 AM   #26
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Sorry to hear you're in pain, Lokai! I hope you'll get well again soon. Fortunately, toe bones are hardly any thicker than the cardboard back of a notepad and therefore heal quickly.

I made it to about 35 before I first broke something. The smallest toe. Broke that one 3 times by now - it's what happens if you're blind as a mole and try to exit a door quickly without your glasses on (nor any shoes)...

But every cloud has a silver lining: a broken bone never snaps again at the same point because the repaired bit is slightly stronger than the original =)
Old June 21 2014, 02:48 PM   #27
Shat Happens
Commander

I still am curious about the "bizarre accident" the OP mentioned.
Shat Happens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 03:28 PM   #28
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

I made it to 32 when I dropped a trailer on the fingers of my left hand. Only managed to break one though and had no pain/ Then, a few years later I got one of the fingers of my right hand caught in the door of a truck. No pain here either, but it had to be operated on because skin started to grow over the nail.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 04:27 PM   #29
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Sorry to hear you're in pain, Lokai! I hope you'll get well again soon.
Many thanks, Rhubarbodendron!

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
I still am curious about the "bizarre accident" the OP mentioned.
It involved a cat, running frantically (and most unwisely) indoors and a very large, substantial wooden object!
Old June 21 2014, 05:37 PM   #30
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Oh, one of these accidents! Had one of that sort myself when hunting a pet rat that had stolen my best silk scarf and I bumped into a book case. Nothing broken but I lost a toenail (but recaptured my scarf!)

I think I'm a hot candidate for the world championship at stupid/embarassing accidents:
I broke my leg last year in my office when I fell of my desk while hunting a spider *blush*
The spider survived unscathed