Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 8 2014, 03:24 PM   #106
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: Looks like Netflix is interested in making a New Star Trek Show

wulfio wrote: View Post
I'm not talking about super fan boys that quibble over minutia.
That's typically what's inferred when people start talking about "fans" in quotes. It's about an insidious group of people who are thought to be responsible for all the woes of Star Trek. But they're just a small fraction not worth considering. And that's what the original point was.

Of course the powers that be should care about general fans, and this kind of shows in the new movies with the amount of fan service. There is a lot of fixation on what popular culture perceives Star Trek to be, so there couldn't be too much more catering to fans in that regard. But that was not what the point was.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 03:35 PM   #107
mos6507
Captain

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Sure, there are lots of casual fans, but there are also those high-strung ones that get upset when stardates don't match or when ships aren't the right size. Those are the ones that were referred to, and I don't believe they have any affect on what studios decide to do with their properties. Nor does Hollywood.
Maybe, but they've tried to convert the biggest convention where they congregate into a big PR event for their projects.
Old August 8 2014, 03:41 PM   #108
Creepy Critter
Admiral

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Sure, there are lots of casual fans, but there are also those high-strung ones that get upset when stardates don't match or when ships aren't the right size. Those are the ones that were referred to, and I don't believe they have any affect on what studios decide to do with their properties. Nor does Hollywood.
Maybe, but they've tried to convert the biggest convention where they congregate into a big PR event for their projects.
and....?
Old August 8 2014, 10:27 PM   #109
wulfio
Captain

VST wrote: View Post
You go from one extreme to the other in your points here. It's all about balance.

Look, of course a studio in an ideal world will want a fan base to be happy - nobody's gonna sit around a table and actively go 'right what can we do to fuck off all those guys in their mom's basement who buy our Spock action figures?'. But whether it's on TV or at the movies, the same point applies - they want a Trek project that will garner as many viewers as possible. At the movies, it's box office receipts. On the box, it's viewing figures which justify funding a show long enough to hit the magic 100 episodes so they can syndicate the series forever & a day & make endless cashloola. So many shows die quickly now because networks shovel a ton of money into a product & demand an immediate return, from a broad viewer base.

To bring this back to the original topic, if Netflix therefore were going to make a Trek show these days, it's not for the fans as much as everyone who buys that service. Like I said, most Trek fans would watch regardless, as they did with ENT. Most Trek fans' idea of what a new series should be is also a combo of either desperate fanwank, hopelessly old fashioned or steadfastly 'pure Trek'. None of that will sell these days. Sexier, flashier, punchier nuTOS, whether you like it or not, is what sells now. And if Trek wants to survive another series, that's pretty much what it needs to be.
I'm not talking about super fan boys that quibble over minutia.
That's typically what's inferred when people start talking about "fans" in quotes. It's about an insidious group of people who are thought to be responsible for all the woes of Star Trek. But they're just a small fraction not worth considering. And that's what the original point was.

Of course the powers that be should care about general fans, and this kind of shows in the new movies with the amount of fan service. There is a lot of fixation on what popular culture perceives Star Trek to be, so there couldn't be too much more catering to fans in that regard. But that was not what the point was.

Someone said fans don't matter, I even quoted him on it in my original post. My contention was that fans can, and have killed shows in the past. That is all, end of story. No innuendo, no insinuations, no double entendre, just a statement of fact, that it's happened in the past.

You guys piled on arguing semantics. Seriously, internet forums baffle me, it really exemplifies a persons ability to pick apart a single word and begin a discussion that is completely irrelevant within the context of the original comment.

And whatever, if you want to think the only star trek fans out there are sweaty nerds in their mothers basement go for it. But you're 100% wrong, and living in you're own world by thinking that.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 12:08 AM   #110
VST
Lieutenant Commander

The fact you can't tell when someone's being facetious says it all, dude.
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 08:46 AM   #111
wulfio
Captain

VST wrote: View Post
The fact you can't tell when someone's being facetious says it all, dude.
Ya I guess if we like to misuse the word facetious you're right.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 10:05 AM   #112
VST
Lieutenant Commander

I have the definition taped to the underside of my eyelids at all times, so don't be worrying!

As I said before anyway, happy trails.
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 02:08 PM   #113
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

To bring this back to topic. CBS has now confirmed they're interested in making shows for streaming services. This is probably the best sign for a future Star Trek series we've had since the first JJ movie.

Source
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 02:36 PM   #114
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

AviTrek wrote: View Post
To bring this back to topic. CBS has now confirmed they're interested in making shows for streaming services. This is probably the best sign for a future Star Trek series we've had since the first JJ movie.

Source
Nothing there that makes me think a Trek series is any more likely than before.
Old August 11 2014, 03:30 PM   #115
Ryan8bit
Commodore

You guys piled on arguing semantics. Seriously, internet forums baffle me, it really exemplifies a persons ability to pick apart a single word and begin a discussion that is completely irrelevant within the context of the original comment.
It wasn't arguing semantics, it was you misunderstanding the context of what someone was saying. "Fans" in quotes does not mean what you think it means.

And whatever, if you want to think the only star trek fans out there are sweaty nerds in their mothers basement go for it. But you're 100% wrong, and living in you're own world by thinking that.
No one even thinks that.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 05:35 PM   #116
Tom
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
AviTrek wrote: View Post

Source
Nothing there that makes me think a Trek series is any more likely than before.
Well it would alleviate the main problem that a Star Trek show can not get enough rating to survive directly on CBS. So when other 'not so ratings sensitive' outlets open up it may make it easier for CBS to finally green light a new Trek series.

Last edited by Tom; August 11 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 05:52 PM   #117
urbandefault
Captain

None of that matters as long as Les Moonves is not interested in putting new Trek on TV.

As it is, he doesn't have to invest a dime of CBS capital, and the cash just keeps pouring in.
Old August 11 2014, 06:29 PM   #118
Tom
Rear Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
None of that matters as long as Les Moonves is not interested in putting new Trek on TV.

As it is, he doesn't have to invest a dime of CBS capital, and the cash just keeps pouring in.
There are diminishing returns on the older library. CBS has put money in the HD upgrades for TOS and TNG to help sell there broadcast rights in markets that less and less do not want SD products. A new product will have to be introduced at some point to keep the value of the franchise at an acceptable level.
Old August 11 2014, 07:51 PM   #119
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
urbandefault wrote: View Post

There are diminishing returns on the older library. CBS has put money in the HD upgrades for TOS and TNG to help sell there broadcast rights in markets that less and less do not want SD products. A new product will have to be introduced at some point to keep the value of the franchise at an acceptable level.
It's the "acceptable level" part that is the question. CBS has so many once popular properties under its belt that are basically dormant, http://www.cbsconsumerproducts.com/tvcity/4400.html but it still holds onto them solely to license them. It is conceivable that the current management at CBS may never make a new Trek series and allow the franchise to exist as it currently is (a licensed Paramount movie every few years or so).
Old August 12 2014, 12:17 AM   #120
publiusr
Commodore

I loved Blockbuster, then RED BOX kills them. I get cable, then Netflix comes out with streaming..I buy a DVD and they invent Blu-ray.

Oh, for them to leave crap alone.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote