Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 5 2014, 09:43 PM   #76
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Looks like Netflix is interested in making a New Star Trek Show

The Stig wrote: View Post
wulfio wrote: View Post
Tyberius wrote: View Post
Just skimming this thread now that it has devolved away from the topic, but this is a beauty here:

So, basically, ignore the movies that disprove your point. Got it.
You're assuming I consider Abrams stuff trek.

Mighty presumptuous of you.
It's got 'Star Trek' right in the title. You may not like it, but it's Star Trek, baby.
By that logic, I could make a YouTube video of myself shooting laser beams at a green puppet, call it 'Star Trek' and it would be Star Trek.

IMO for something to be spiritually, not just legally, Star Trek it needs to be creatively in sync with the original material.

I consider Abrams Trek to be a different Star Trek than our Star Trek. Just like Nolan Batman is a different Batman than comic book Batman. Same IP, different universe. The relationship between Abrams Trek and our Trek is similar to the relationship between the show 'Elementary' and the show 'Sherlock'.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 09:54 PM   #77
trekker670
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I consider Abrams Trek to be a different Star Trek than our Star Trek. Just like Nolan Batman is a different Batman than comic book Batman. Same IP, different universe. The relationship between Abrams Trek and our Trek is similar to the relationship between the show 'Elementary' and the show 'Sherlock'.
I'm pretty sure he would agree with you, hence the whole alternate universe/timeline.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 10:25 PM   #78
trevanian
Rear Admiral

If netflix ever had the op to do something like this, it'd have to be a section31 show. That's pretty close to what they've already got with the Othello-like HOUSE OF CARDS, but doing it in the TREK universe lets you see the corruption happening in a much different light, showing WHY it these enhanced humans can act all saintly while living in paradise, and the personal cost in ethics to make that happen.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 10:39 PM   #79
VST
Lieutenant Commander

The Stig wrote: View Post
wulfio wrote: View Post

You're assuming I consider Abrams stuff trek.

Mighty presumptuous of you.
It's got 'Star Trek' right in the title. You may not like it, but it's Star Trek, baby.
By that logic, I could make a YouTube video of myself shooting laser beams at a green puppet, call it 'Star Trek' and it would be Star Trek.

IMO for something to be spiritually, not just legally, Star Trek it needs to be creatively in sync with the original material.

Sorry but if it's legally called Star Trek, then it *is* Star Trek - no matter how much you personally may not like its creative direction.

The great headline news is what *you* consider Star Trek is still there & always will be.
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 11:07 PM   #80
urbandefault
Captain

In my opinion, the "fans" are the reason there probably won't ever be another tv Trek series. Maybe if they'd pull the board out of their ass ... but that won't happen.
Old August 6 2014, 01:40 AM   #81
wulfio
Commander

Like I said, the beautiful thing about this world is we're all allowed to have our own opinions.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 03:39 AM   #82
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I'm of the opinion that 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4.

urbandefault wrote: View Post
In my opinion, the "fans" are the reason there probably won't ever be another tv Trek series. Maybe if they'd pull the board out of their ass ... but that won't happen.
But I like that board up my ass!

I doubt those fans ever affected much though, and there almost has to be another Trek show at some point.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 05:31 AM   #83
trevanian
Rear Admiral

As Kirk would say, "I don't want that board taken out of my ass -- I need that board up my ass. It helps define who we are, if we lose that we lose ourselves."
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 08:33 AM   #84
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Studios would rather have more viewers than "fans." Fans alone can't keep a Trek series afloat.
Old August 6 2014, 09:31 AM   #85
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

To carry over a point I supported recently in another thread, none of the Star Trek spin-off series (that means TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT) have been "creatively in sync with the original material" (that means TOS), at least not fully, though probably TAS comes the closest.
Old August 6 2014, 10:23 AM   #86
VST
Lieutenant Commander

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Studios would rather have more viewers than "fans." Fans alone can't keep a Trek series afloat.
This.
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 04:04 PM   #87
Tom
Rear Admiral

VST wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
This.
This x2
Old August 6 2014, 04:23 PM   #88
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

trevanian wrote: View Post
If netflix ever had the op to do something like this, it'd have to be a section31 show. That's pretty close to what they've already got with the Othello-like HOUSE OF CARDS, but doing it in the TREK universe lets you see the corruption happening in a much different light, showing WHY it these enhanced humans can act all saintly while living in paradise, and the personal cost in ethics to make that happen.
For me, something like the above would hold zero interest. I watch Star Trek to see big, brash heroes explore the universe and encounter all kinds of weird stuff.
Old August 6 2014, 10:08 PM   #89
The Stig
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Why the heck would it 'have to be' a Section 31 show?

Either recast the crew again or set it on another Constitution-class vessel on the five-year-mission and explore some strange new worlds.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 11:04 PM   #90
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I don't think it necessarily needs to be Section 31 (and I personally have very little interest in that), but I also think it would be hard to have it just be random, episodic exploration. I think the S31 thing points to the trend of recent shows to be a lot more serial, and a lot different in tone. Netflix produced shows so far fit that mold. The whole idea behind a show on Netflix is that they release the whole season at once, which very much opens the door for a more serial approach.

This all may be why Netflix isn't much of an appropriate place for Trek.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote