Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old July 15 2014, 04:03 PM   #31
wulfio
Commander

Re: Looks like Netflix is interested in making a New Star Trek Show

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
wulfio wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post

Said show could be a Starfleet Academy show, or just a show with a young crew (captain late '20's, early '30's rest of crew following suit and being in their mid to late 20's, early 30's) much like the current Star Trek movies.
As long as they don`t turn it in to a teen drama with lots of angst I`m on board.
It's going to be about that (partially) since they're human beings, and you need that for drama.
I don't think you need teen angst for it to be drama whatsoever. it's just lazy writing used on bad shows to appeal to the masses. Interesting drama can arise from situations that require organic character development, and by legitimate conflict between the characters. And like Trek has always done, interesting sociological commentary. I won't tune in to watch people stomping their feet, being melodramatic, and throwing tantrums.

Last edited by wulfio; July 15 2014 at 04:14 PM.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 04:13 PM   #32
mos6507
Captain

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
lewisniven wrote: View Post
I think something targeted at kids could work, similar to the star wars clone wars CG series, something like that could work really well with trek, and compared to a live action series, wouldn't cost the earth to make.
You mean like The Animated Series?
No. TAS was (decent writing) but poor quality animation even for 1973. It can be done a lot better these day.
Old July 15 2014, 04:21 PM   #33
wulfio
Commander

mos6507 wrote: View Post
lewisniven wrote: View Post
I think something targeted at kids could work, similar to the star wars clone wars CG series, something like that could work really well with trek, and compared to a live action series, wouldn't cost the earth to make.
No. TAS was (decent writing) but poor quality animation even for 1973. It can be done a lot better these day.
You'd need an action oriented show to appeal to kids, with lots of space battles, and ominous threats every week that could destroy the Federation. I don't even think you could call it Star Trek anymore with what you'd have to do to make it appealing to kids. And then once you do that it's basically canon.
Old July 15 2014, 04:52 PM   #34
Dennis
Commodore

Mrcasio wrote: View Post
The fan made "Shows" on youtube are a lot better then anything a network or netflixs could make. someone should just throw some money at one of them and bring there casts and writers to Tv or netflixs

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 06:05 PM   #35
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^I like Star Trek Continues, Star Trek Phase II, and Star Trek Aurora, but even I have to admit that what Mrcasio wants is impossible.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; July 15 2014 at 09:36 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 07:50 PM   #36
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

You'd need an action oriented show to appeal to kids, with lots of space battles, and ominous threats every week that could destroy the Federation. I don't even think you could call it Star Trek anymore with what you'd have to do to make it appealing to kids. And then once you do that it's basically canon.
There have been plenty of animated shows that have combined high action with drama (the recent Thundercats & G.I. Joe: Renegade shows, The Sensational Spider-man, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, and the accompanying Justice League), so it can definitely be done.

As far as canon, I wouldn't worry about it because the odds are probably good that any Star Trek animated series may be set in its own continuity, IMO.
Old July 16 2014, 01:04 AM   #37
wulfio
Commander

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post

There have been plenty of animated shows that have combined high action with drama (the recent Thundercats & G.I. Joe: Renegade shows, The Sensational Spider-man, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, and the accompanying Justice League), so it can definitely be done.

As far as canon, I wouldn't worry about it because the odds are probably good that any Star Trek animated series may be set in its own continuity, IMO.
I know. But my point is that high action isn't really star trek. It'd be weird seeing that kind of action associated with trek.
Old July 20 2014, 10:18 PM   #38
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I know. But my point is that high action isn't really star trek. It'd be weird seeing that kind of action associated with trek.
Action has always been a part of Star Trek. Until now, it was just scaled down to fit the budgetary limits of a (live-action) TV show or a modest-budget movie.
Old July 21 2014, 07:07 AM   #39
wulfio
Commander

Action has always been a part of Star Trek. Until now, it was just scaled down to fit the budgetary limits of a (live-action) TV show or a modest-budget movie.
Social commentary and character development has always been a part of Trek. Any action that occurred was a bi-product of that, and merely used as plot devices.

An animated kids show would have to be action oriented, and the plot will be written around that. Sort of like how Abrams makes movies.

I honestly have no idea what Trek you watch to say that Action is a part of Trek.
Old July 21 2014, 07:18 AM   #40
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I honestly have no idea what Trek you watch to say that Action is a part of Trek.
While a small number of episodes were primarily action oriented, the majority of episodes were dramas with action as a minor component.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 09:01 AM   #41
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Social commentary and character development has always been a part of Trek. Any action that occurred was a bi-product of that, and merely used as plot devices.
Actually, that's a myth. Trek has always told more morality plays--issues of right and wrong--with social commentary a bi-product of that (albeit a frequently hyped one). Character development tends to vary from Trek series to Trek series though. Action-adventure, however, is prevalent in every Trek series.
An animated kids show would have to be action oriented, and the plot will be written around that. Sort of like how Abrams makes movies.
That last part isn't really true. But all Trek stories start with a McGuffin, something that forms the basis for a story and things develop from there.
I honesty have no idea what Trek you watch to say that action isn't a part of Trek. From Captain Pike's tussle with a Kalar in "The Cage" to Spock's showdown with Khan in Star Trek XII (with plenty of space battles in between), Trek has had action as one of its mainstays.

To claim otherwise is simply overlooking or ignoring it. Trek has always been a mixture of drama and explosions.
T'Girl wrote:
While a small number of episodes were primarily action oriented, the majority of episodes were dramas with action as a minor component.
That was mainly with TNG, with other Trek shows (particularly TOS and DS9) generally having more action content. Trek movies, however, tend to be even more action-oriented (and rightfully so, IMO).
Old July 21 2014, 07:14 PM   #42
wulfio
Commander

ugh. I don't know where you got that I said there's no action. However, TOS was not an action centric show. It was social commentary. Any and all action in all of Star Trek is derived from that commentary. I don't know how else I can explain it to you so you can grasp what Star Trek actually is. This isn't conjecture, this is from the horses mouth. It's great that you have your opinion, but it is contradictory to what the creators of the show say, and the intentions of the story telling devices utilized.

If you watch Trek for the action, that's super, but know what it is, and what it isn't. It isn't an action franchise. The exception is Abrams trek, which is a pile of mindless garbage, with a few TOS homages thrown in between the action beats.

None of the pre lens flare Star Trek movies are action oriented movies(nemesis and insurrection don't exist for me). Yes they have action elements in them. But if you call them action based movies because of those sequences, I can't really have a serious conversation with you.
Old July 21 2014, 07:32 PM   #43
mos6507
Captain

Trek tended to have a minimum action quota that it felt obligated to dole out. The plot was contrived enough in order to lead to a fist-fight or phaser-blast every now and then, but the overarching plot was definitely issue-based, not just Flash Gordon style good vs. evil.

The problem often brought up about TAS was the runtime. Even the dialogue was delivered in an almost speed-reading fashion, just to cram as much of the plot into the runtime as possible. While it's possible to do 30-minute dramas (the 50s had its share) it's very difficult. And something as exposition, negotiation, and technobabble-laden as Trek kind of needs a full hour of runtime (minus commercials of course) which is hard to get with any animated show.
Old July 21 2014, 08:40 PM   #44
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

ugh. I don't know where you got that I said there's no action.
"high action isn't really star trek. It'd be weird seeing that kind of action associated with trek."

It actually isn't that weird given that action has been a staple of Trek from day one. It's just that with improved special effects and a larger budget, it can be done on a bigger scale than it has previously.

However, TOS was not an action centric show. It was social commentary.
TOS was an action-adventure show, and was originally conceived as such by Roddenberry.

"Star Trek is...action-adventure-Science Fiction."
http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_T...Trek_Pitch.pdf

It was not really about social commentary, although it did have that from time to time.
Any and all action in all of Star Trek is derived from that commentary.
Not true on both counts. All aspects of Star Trek are derived from it being a drama.
I don't know how else I can explain it to you so you can grasp what Star Trek actually is. This isn't conjecture, this is from the horses mouth. It's great that you have your opinion, but it is contradictory to what the creators of the show say, and the intentions of the story telling devices utilized.
That is truly your conjecture. If you actually looked objectively at Trek in all its entirety, you would know that Trek is a mix of different things. It's not all high-brow stuff. Never has been.

Trek is often put up on a pedestal by fans, and even by people who work on the show, but that pedestal is built upon an action-adventure series in space.
mos6507 wrote:
Trek tended to have a minimum action quota that it felt obligated to dole out. The plot was contrived enough in order to lead to a fist-fight or phaser-blast every now and then, but the overarching plot was definitely issue-based, not just Flash Gordon style good vs. evil.
I don't think that's true. When NBC originally rejected the original pilot, there was reportedly a request to include more action than what there already was, but there's nothing to suggest the rest of that. And Trek's overarching plot was simply a ship exploring space and encountering things (both good and bad) along the way. The majority of Trek stories are not issue-based nor social commentary, but they are often about morality.
Old July 22 2014, 02:56 AM   #45
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

TOS was an action-adventure show, and was originally conceived as such by Roddenberry.

"Star Trek is...action-adventure-Science Fiction."
http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_T...Trek_Pitch.pdf
What would Roddenberry know about Star Trek?