Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 17 2014, 04:48 AM   #151
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Re: Looks like Netflix is interested in making a New Star Trek Show

BillJ wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
As Star Trek fans, it's easy for us to fall into some sort of unrealistic fantasy that everybody should do whatever it takes to watch Star Trek (else how can they call themselves Trekkies?), but some less financially advantaged people simply can't afford to consider certain options that adds to monthly expenses. If Star Trek ever returns and is only available through a paid service like streaming or cable, I won't be watching.
For less financially advantaged people, $10 a month for Netflix and the entire ST library seems a better option than spending hundreds of dollars for DVD and/or bluray sets. Don't get me wrong, there are points to be made for choosing physical media over streaming services, but I do streaming precisely because I'm one of those less financially advantaged people who can't justify the expense of cable or DVD/bluray sets.
Of course, it isn't just the $10 for Netflix. You have to be willing to spend another $40 a month for a broadband connection. Then if you want to use it through your TV, you have to buy a device capable of playing it then also buy equipment for a network unless your TV is right next to your computer.

Even if you have the money for all that, not everyone lives in areas where broadband is available.

I like Netflix (I'm using it right now). It is a great way to save wear and tear on my PS3/PS4. But I also like to have the physical media.
With dvd, I can spend an hour rewatching just a 2 minute scene if I want. It's not as easy to do that with streaming in my experience, plus I'm paying for things I will never watch. At least when I indulge in disks, I know the money is going into a permanent copy of something I really want. I never watch anything in one sitting without going back to revisit a part perhaps several times.
Old August 17 2014, 05:20 AM   #152
TheNatural
Ensign

urbandefault wrote: View Post
TheNatural wrote: View Post
urbandefault wrote: View Post

I don't have Netflix, and I don't have Showtime either. I really don't see that changing any time soon. So either way, I wouldn't see a new series.

Unless, that is, it were to be included with Amazon Prime. I do have that one.
As a Star Trek fan, it's kinda silly not to have Netflix, that is, of course, unless you have each series on DVD/Blu-ray. I would gladly pay 7.99 a month just for access to Every single trek episode. Not to mention everything else, especially the incredible original series available (with Trek adding to that in the coming years )
Pfft. It's kinda silly for you to tell me what I should have to qualify as a fan. :P

I get TOS and TNG on Amazon, and probably more that I haven't bothered to look for yet. I have all the movies on DVD and ripped to my PC, and can watch any of them any time there, on either of my two Zunes, or my tablet.

I can watch Prime programming any time on TV, and I get access to other stuff that I want via Roku that isn't available anywhere else.

So, basically, there.
What's silly is a forum about a show based on the future and so many people trying to argue against streaming. Netflix is gigantic. However, as a Zune owner, I can see you know a thing or two about behind behind the 8-ball in regards to new technology.
TheNatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 05:42 AM   #153
TheNatural
Ensign

For less financially advantaged people, $10 a month for Netflix and the entire ST library seems a better option than spending hundreds of dollars for DVD and/or bluray sets. Don't get me wrong, there are points to be made for choosing physical media over streaming services, but I do streaming precisely because I'm one of those less financially advantaged people who can't justify the expense of cable or DVD/bluray sets.
Of course, it isn't just the $10 for Netflix. You have to be willing to spend another $40 a month for a broadband connection. Then if you want to use it through your TV, you have to buy a device capable of playing it then also buy equipment for a network unless your TV is right next to your computer.

Even if you have the money for all that, not everyone lives in areas where broadband is available.

I like Netflix (I'm using it right now). It is a great way to save wear and tear on my PS3/PS4. But I also like to have the physical media.
With dvd, I can spend an hour rewatching just a 2 minute scene if I want. It's not as easy to do that with streaming in my experience, plus I'm paying for things I will never watch. At least when I indulge in disks, I know the money is going into a permanent copy of something I really want. I never watch anything in one sitting without going back to revisit a part perhaps several times.
It's far easier to rewatch scenes over and over again while streaming than on a dvd.

The fact is, streaming is not a fad, netflix has all but abandoned physical forms of giving you shows/movies, and has GREATLY profited by doing so, as proven by Amazon and Hulu (not to mention other sites that are and will be popping up before the end of this calendar year) jumping on board and providing the same things.

I am going to pre-apologize for this, as I am certain offense will be taken, but the small percentage of the population who don't have access to broadband, or the people who are late-adopters of a technology that has already been embraced by many millions and proven to be an extremely effective way to produce and distribute shows, are not on the radar of anyone making any important decisions within CBS, or frankly, anywhere else.

Unless CBS is willing to relinquish their stake in Trek to HBO or the like, Netflix is the horse we, as a community, should be backing. I know it's the where my money has been lying for years.

As for the comments warning that trek may not be long for the Netflix world. If you think they are going to just up and pull 8 star trek movies (including the new one, and very soon, Into Darkness), and ~730 episodes from netflix during it's resurgence as a brand. That's silly.

This forum needs an injection of positive attitudes, and a dash of forward thinking. Arguments about outdated mediums are just ridiculous.
Old August 17 2014, 05:45 AM   #154
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

The problem with saying Star Trek fans need Netflix is it's creating a class system of what you need to have in order to be a real fan. So that if you can't afford the latest Blu-rays, can't afford the conventions, collectibles, somehow you don't qualify. I was a Star Trek fan when all we had was a series running once a week on NBC.

If I were financially stable however, I probably would be on board, because I was dropping $150 every time a lot of 10 VHS TOS episodes were being released and not even balancing the checkbook in those days.

As for being able to constantly replay a scene through streaming, I've never found it that easy on something like Hulu without a significant delay.
Old August 17 2014, 03:11 PM   #155
TheNatural
Ensign

The problem with saying Star Trek fans need Netflix is it's creating a class system of what you need to have in order to be a real fan. So that if you can't afford the latest Blu-rays, can't afford the conventions, collectibles, somehow you don't qualify. I was a Star Trek fan when all we had was a series running once a week on NBC.

If I were financially stable however, I probably would be on board, because I was dropping $150 every time a lot of 10 VHS TOS episodes were being released and not even balancing the checkbook in those days.

As for being able to constantly replay a scene through streaming, I've never found it that easy on something like Hulu without a significant delay.
Are you fucking kidding me? You do realize it is a distinct possibility that it might end up on a cable channel, right? I costs FAR more to get HBO or Showtime, and in my case, it costs twice the price of Netflix just to get the package that includes BBC America, the only way I would be able to watch Trek without Netflix.

I can't even believe I am falling for a troll this ridiculous, but something tells me you are serious.

How can you possibly make the jump from Netflix (probably the easiest and cheapest way for a fan to see Trek, in all of it's forms, ESPECIALLY if a new series came out), to a class system that forces you to do things? You realize if they make a new one, they aren't going to come to your house and give you the show on DVD for free, right?

In this day and age, more people actively use the internet at home than have cable, that is why streaming sites make a lot of sense when talking about bringing back a show, it has a lot of advantages. My 75MB internet connection + Netflix is like 48 bucks, my cable bill - 80, and that's with only some goofy sports package and HBO. If I didn't need a ridiculously fast connection for my work, I could halve the price of that internet+netflix bill. I was streaming netflix comfortably when I was using a 9mb down, 2 up connection when I was overseas.

If anything, putting the show on Netflix would allow access to more people from a wider variety of tax brackets than ANY OTHER POSSIBLE WAY OF DISTRIBUTION.

I'm sure I got just trolled, for the record, so I held some of my cards, but this is enough to make my point before I die of a fucking aneurysm.
Old August 17 2014, 03:15 PM   #156
Creepy Critter
Admiral

The problem with saying Star Trek fans need Netflix is it's creating a class system of what you need to have in order to be a real fan.
Saying that it's silly for Star Trek fans not to have Netflix is just a variant of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy. I wouldn't worry about it, it's not worth even considering as a true proposition. The idea that some form of behavior is silly for Star Trek fans is itself just silly.
Old August 17 2014, 03:44 PM   #157
TheNatural
Ensign

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The problem with saying Star Trek fans need Netflix is it's creating a class system of what you need to have in order to be a real fan.
Saying that it's silly for Star Trek fans not to have Netflix is just a variant of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy. I wouldn't worry about it, it's not worth even considering as a true proposition. The idea that some form of behavior is silly for Star Trek fans is itself just silly.
No, what is truly silly, is ignoring everything but a single line in a post and taking it so far off into left field that you have construed that SINGLE line of text into a judgment of behavior and proposing a Star Trek caste system. What is wrong with you?
Old August 17 2014, 03:47 PM   #158
Creepy Critter
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
No, what is truly silly, is ignoring everything but a single line in a post and taking it so far off into left field that you have construed that SINGLE line of text into a judgment of behavior and proposing a Star Trek caste system. What is wrong with you?
Nothing. It's just simply not silly, period, that's all.
Old August 18 2014, 03:03 AM   #159
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

It's far easier to rewatch scenes over and over again while streaming than on a dvd.

The fact is, streaming is not a fad, netflix has all but abandoned physical forms of giving you shows/movies, and has GREATLY profited by doing so, as proven by Amazon and Hulu (not to mention other sites that are and will be popping up before the end of this calendar year) jumping on board and providing the same things.
Well, I was just talking about the financial argument. For me $10 a month is a lot cheaper than spending hundreds on DVDs. But there are still good arguments to be made for physical media over streaming. Netflix streams in HD, but all of its movies and shows begin playing at low quality (presumably to prevent buffering issues). The quality improves within twenty seconds or so, but I can see that being a deal-breaker for some people. The other problem is that you're at the mercy of the streaming service. Titles occasionally disappear from Netlix. Some series available for streaming have missing episodes.

Of course, one doesn't have to stream. You can rent the DVDs/blurays. They're not your DVDs to do with as you please, but you could still watch the entire ST library for $10 a month.
Old August 18 2014, 12:43 PM   #160
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Of course, one doesn't have to stream. You can rent the DVDs/blurays. They're not your DVDs to do with as you please, but you could still watch the entire ST library for $10 a month.
This is an awesome option for people who don't have access to broadband. You can receive discs five days a week and burn thru them and send them back.
Old August 18 2014, 05:37 PM   #161
Ryan8bit
Commodore

The thing I like about Netflix is that my device auto plays the next episode. I don't know how they Blu Rays are, but the DVDs were sorely lacking in a Play All button, and going back and forth between the menus was tedious. It's a lot more convenient for me to play on there even though I have the DVDs. If they take it off at some point, I'll just switch back, but I hope they don't.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 05:46 PM   #162
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
The thing I like about Netflix is that my device auto plays the next episode. I don't know how they Blu Rays are, but the DVDs were sorely lacking in a Play All button, and going back and forth between the menus was tedious. It's a lot more convenient for me to play on there even though I have the DVDs. If they take it off at some point, I'll just switch back, but I hope they don't.
Except for after every second or third episode where it asks you if you want to continue watching. Just as big of a pain in the ass, as I have to turn my PS3/4 controller back on.

TOS Blu's don't have a 'Play All', TNG Blu's do, can't speak for Enterprise.
Old August 18 2014, 06:09 PM   #163
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Many BluRay's have a "Play All" feature now-a-days - Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, etc. Can't remember how DVD's were. Probably didn't have quite a feature-rich menu capability that BluRay's do now.
Old August 18 2014, 08:04 PM   #164
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I know the LOST DVD's had a play all. It was necessary for binge watching.

Except for after every second or third episode where it asks you if you want to continue watching. Just as big of a pain in the ass, as I have to turn my PS3/4 controller back on.
Yeah, I wish I could turn that off on my AppleTV, but still for me it's just one button, instead of several presses and then having to get up to change the disc. I know, first world problems, right?
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 09:46 AM   #165
Dinklebot
Vice Admiral

View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile

Just as big of a pain in the ass, as I have to turn my PS3/4 controller back on.
You really wish you'd bought an XBONE /w Kinect 2.0 now. Right? RIGHT?!

Don't answer, I'm trolling you right now. Or am I? I guess if anything, I'm trolling Microsoft's Devices and Studios Group.

- Route Code: EXLTD > XCV – SCRB > ALLCH <> Source: Undetermined (trans)
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote