Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 24 2014, 05:00 AM   #1
Spectral
Ensign

I want to see a new series, anyone else?

So, what if instead of shameless movie reboots, the fans actually got a new series? Wouldn't that be amazing? What would people like to see? What scenarios and issues would we like to be further explored?

Star Trek can go on, it can have a future, it doesn't have to be relegated to the sadness of rebooting its classic past. And television is still relevant, probably more than ever. Some of the best television that has ever been aired is what is being made right now.
Spectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Re: I want to see a new series, anyone else?

Spectral wrote: View Post
So, what if instead of shameless movie reboots, the fans actually got a new series? Wouldn't that be amazing? What would people like to see? What scenarios and issues would we like to be further explored?
What's even more amazing is there's already a Future of Trek forum where these kinds of ideas are discussed all the time.

http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Welcome to the forums.
Old September 24 2014, 06:31 AM   #3
Spectral
Ensign

Ah-ha. Fantastic.
Spectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Forbin
Admiral

I did this graphic so long ago, UPN still existed.
My idea is for a weekly anthology series, consisting of four individual Trek shows, in different time periods, on a rotating schedule. Each show, therefore has one episode per month. Crossovers should be rare or non-existent. Each show has its own writing staff so the shows have different feels, but they should probably consult each other once in a while to avoid contradictions. Here's my faux TVGuide ads:

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Moving to Future of Trek
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 01:50 PM   #6
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

If you want to know who would want a 24th century series back (and who wouldn't), check out my "Do fans want the prime timeline back" thread. Cast a vote at least.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 02:50 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Not really. After seven hundred episodes, I'm more than content with a movie every three or four years.
Old September 24 2014, 05:58 PM   #8
Vandervecken
Commander

Hell to the yeah I want a new series! Without, and no doubt this will be a big surprise, JJ Abrams in any way, shape, form, capacity, whatever. And Forbin, man, maybe you should pitch that! Although I have a little suggestion, allow for crossovers in the third year.
Old September 24 2014, 08:06 PM   #9
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Star Trek can go on, it can have a future, it doesn't have to be relegated to the sadness of rebooting its classic past. And television is still relevant, probably more than ever. Some of the best television that has ever been aired is what is being made right now.
How is rebooting any more "sad" than endlessly churning out spin-offs? If you're not going to use the iconic Star Trek characters, why not just invent whole new universe?
Old September 24 2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Here, here! TV Trek shouldn't die, its where it all started and is always at its strongest, as it gives characters a chance to develop and grow over time, giving them new challenges to face and lessons to learn.

Get the right people in place at the helm, creative minds willing to take chances and get into some damn good storytelling, and Trek could once again be great on the small screen. I'd take that over a dozen JJTrek films

Forbin, those are amazing! If any of those were turned into a full series (or even a miniseries) I'd tune in to watch!

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
How is rebooting any more "sad" than endlessly churning out spin-offs? If you're not going to use the iconic Star Trek characters, why not just invent whole new universe?
Well Spock was only a cameo in the STID, so they're not really using the icons all that much either.

The spin-offs gave us characters like Picard, Data, Odo, and Garak, are they not exceptionally great characters? Joe Bloggs on the street might not know of them, that doesn't stop them being 'iconic' in their own right.
Old September 24 2014, 08:49 PM   #11
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The icons aren't the actors, but the characters they play.
Old September 24 2014, 08:52 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Joe Bloggs on the street might not know of them, that doesn't stop them being 'iconic' in their own right.
Well, I wouldn't think they are iconic if they haven't permeated pop culture to, at least, some degree. Doesn't make them bad characters.
Old September 24 2014, 09:13 PM   #13
Richard Baker
Captain

I think Star Trek works better as a series than as a movie.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 11:29 PM   #14
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

I would prefer that they do both, have a series and make movies, either in the 23rd, 24th, or 25th century. The MCU are doing wonders with its movies and Agents of Shield (it will probably be the same with the soon to be Agent Carter and their Netflix Marvel Knights line-up.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2014, 12:31 AM   #15
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant Commander

What a new Star Trek series needs is a feeling of loneliness in the universe. In TOS, the Enterprise was in the thick of the unknown. Very little communications with Starfleet or Earth. It was the crew and their ship finding unknowns. Plus the dated look of TOS was very stylish and colorful. It had a sense of Retro Futurism. In my opinion, the spinoff's lacked that. I want a future series to use Retro Futurism to inspire the look of the show with a Forbidden planet feel to it.