RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,895
Posts: 5,476,877
Members: 25,050
Currently online: 461
Newest member: aloraptor

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 24 2014, 01:23 AM   #1
HaplessCrewman
Commander
 
HaplessCrewman's Avatar
 
Location: Office of Scientific Intelligence
Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

It's official.

After weeks of rumblings that Roberto Orci was the frontrunner, sources have told Variety that Skydance and Paramount have indeed tapped Orci to direct Paramount and Skydance’s “Star Trek 3.”
Orci is currently writing the story with J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay and had been campaigning to replace J.J. Abrams as director for some time. Abrams is busy with directing the next installment of the “Star Wars” franchise and will only be producing this pic.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ro...-3-1201180140/
__________________
Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster.

Last edited by HaplessCrewman; June 24 2014 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Include article quote
HaplessCrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:01 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
It's official.

After weeks of rumblings that Roberto Orci was the frontrunner, sources have told Variety that Skydance and Paramount have indeed tapped Orci to direct Paramount and Skydance’s “Star Trek 3.”
Orci is currently writing the story with J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay and had been campaigning to replace J.J. Abrams as director for some time. Abrams is busy with directing the next installment of the “Star Wars” franchise and will only be producing this pic.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ro...-3-1201180140/
That article is from May 13th. I'm pretty sure we have a thread about it around here somewhere.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:55 AM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

BillJ wrote: View Post
...

That article is from May 13th. I'm pretty sure we have a thread about it around here somewhere.
We did have a thread and that Variety link was indeed posted:
J. Allen wrote:
Well, it's official! Orci to direct Star Trek 3:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ro...-3-1201180140/
However, that thread suffered a toxic spill and was closed for health and safety reasons. Might as well carry on any new discussion in this one.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 03:52 AM   #4
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Still skeptical. I'm not a fan of Orci's writing, so even if he does end up being a better director like Abrams, I still question his judgements writing wise. I say this because though I think Abrams directed the hell out of his movies, it wasn't enough to save the films for me. When the flick does come out, the only thing that can really get me in theaters is if there's good word of mouth, that he actually gets it right. I do hope he succeeds, I'm just full of doubts concerning him.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Still skeptical. I'm not a fan of Orci's writing, so even if he does end up being a better director like Abrams, I still question his judgements writing wise. I say this because though I think Abrams directed the hell out of his movies, it wasn't enough to save the films for me. When the flick does come out, the only thing that can really get me in theaters is if there's good word of mouth, that he actually gets it right. I do hope he succeeds, I'm just full of doubts concerning him.
The thing is, many of the Biggest complaints about Orci's Star Trek scripts, were imposed on him by Higher-ups. For example, Orci was opposed to John Harrison being Khan, that was forced upon him. So, with Orci being the Director, we may see a more pure vision of his script. It certainly can flop, but, there's every reason to hope being in more control, he may knock it out of the park.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 12:34 AM   #6
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Sindatur wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Still skeptical. I'm not a fan of Orci's writing, so even if he does end up being a better director like Abrams, I still question his judgements writing wise. I say this because though I think Abrams directed the hell out of his movies, it wasn't enough to save the films for me. When the flick does come out, the only thing that can really get me in theaters is if there's good word of mouth, that he actually gets it right. I do hope he succeeds, I'm just full of doubts concerning him.
The thing is, many of the Biggest complaints about Orci's Star Trek scripts, were imposed on him by Higher-ups. For example, Orci was opposed to John Harrison being Khan, that was forced upon him. So, with Orci being the Director, we may see a more pure vision of his script. It certainly can flop, but, there's every reason to hope being in more control, he may knock it out of the park.
That's what I hope, but I'm just not confident because even when he did have good ideas I don't think he really followed through on them that made them satisfactory. One example is Kirk's sudden change of heart where he initially took Marcus' mission to get revenge for Pike's death, but after a few minutes he announces "okay, let's just capture him and put him on trial". Apparently this was done because there was worrying over audiences not liking Kirk for wanting vengeance, but it really diminishes his arc and makes his ending speech about vengeance come off hollow. How dramatically better would it have been if Kirk held Harrison at gunpoint and at that moment caught himself and decided to put him under arrest? Him just deciding "nah, vengeance is wrong", when on the captain's seat is just anti-climatic.

But like I said, I do hope Orci improves. I hope he took in the more substantial criticisms (not "OMG y KAHN? U RUIN MY CHILDHOOD") and grows as a writer and director. We'll only be able to tell how he handles it in 2016.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 12:40 AM   #7
johnjm22
Lieutenant
 
Location: California
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Sindatur wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Still skeptical. I'm not a fan of Orci's writing, so even if he does end up being a better director like Abrams, I still question his judgements writing wise. I say this because though I think Abrams directed the hell out of his movies, it wasn't enough to save the films for me. When the flick does come out, the only thing that can really get me in theaters is if there's good word of mouth, that he actually gets it right. I do hope he succeeds, I'm just full of doubts concerning him.
The thing is, many of the Biggest complaints about Orci's Star Trek scripts, were imposed on him by Higher-ups. For example, Orci was opposed to John Harrison being Khan, that was forced upon him. So, with Orci being the Director, we may see a more pure vision of his script. It certainly can flop, but, there's every reason to hope being in more control, he may knock it out of the park.
Orci has a track record of writing poor scripts.

Judging by his moronic conspiracy theories, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed either.

Anything is possible though. Maybe he'll surprise us, but my expectations for him, and for this franchise are at an all time low.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 12:46 AM   #8
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Bring on Star Trek 3!


Hey....if Chekov gets his own series, would it be called "Tsar Trek"?
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 04:11 AM   #9
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

johnjm22 wrote: View Post
Judging by his moronic conspiracy theories, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed either.
Well, Orson Scott Card is as batshit crazy as they come, but he's still a good writer. There's hope.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 06:35 PM   #10
Smellmet
Captain
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Goole
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

It's the lack of experience in the director's chair that concerns me. I hope the look and feel of the first 2 films are retained and this one doesn't end up being the odd one out in the series
Smellmet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 06:54 PM   #11
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Smellmet wrote: View Post
It's the lack of experience in the director's chair that concerns me. I hope the look and feel of the first 2 films are retained and this one doesn't end up being the odd one out in the series
I certainly wouldn't have a problem with a similar look and feel to the next movie - but I don't understand the resistance to something different.

A fresh stylistic approach does not necessarily equate to an inferior stylistic approach! For example, Alien directed by Ridley Scott - classic movie brilliantly directed. Aliens directed by James Cameron - classic movie brilliantly directed. Both in the same universe, both excellent, but radically different in directorial terms.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 07:28 PM   #12
Smellmet
Captain
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Goole
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

I'm not against anything different, I just want it to feel part of a trilogy like the SW movies do - more in terms of cinematography, music and the pre-title sequence, stuff like that. Can you imagine a SW film opening without the yellow 3D text?

One of my problems with the TOS & TNG movies were that they never seemed to be part of the same family of films. Maybe it's just me
Smellmet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 08:03 PM   #13
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Smellmet wrote: View Post
I'm not against anything different, I just want it to feel part of a trilogy like the SW movies do - more in terms of cinematography, music and the pre-title sequence, stuff like that. Can you imagine a SW film opening without the yellow 3D text?

One of my problems with the TOS & TNG movies were that they never seemed to be part of the same family of films. Maybe it's just me
Yes, I understand why you'd want to have a connected, homogenous feel to the movies, that approach certainly has its merits. Definitely not just you, I think many would agree with you.

I'm open to that - or something fresh. All I really care about is the quality of the movie!
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 10:36 PM   #14
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Smellmet wrote: View Post
One of my problems with the TOS & TNG movies were that they never seemed to be part of the same family of films. Maybe it's just me
That isn't necessarily a bad thing.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 10:41 PM   #15
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Smellmet wrote: View Post
One of my problems with the TOS & TNG movies were that they never seemed to be part of the same family of films. Maybe it's just me
That isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Agreed.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.