Two IDW Publishing Trek Comics Previews
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

Shatner: Celebrate Life
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 12 2014, 10:39 PM   #31
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Re: Big Brother 16: Gentlemen, commence your appallingness!

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I wonder if all the America's Team options will be 'Make terrible gameplay decisions that cause drama for no benefit to yourself'.

Big Brother producers need to understand what the Survivor producers understand. It's okay to contrive emotional drama, and it's okay to change the rules that apply to everybody, but the show is only going to be fun to watch if you just let the players make their own game decisions on an even playing field.
Well put.

The show is always most engaging and entertaining when no "super powers" (i.e., diamond power of Veto, America voting back an evicted house guest) are introduced into the game. Just let the players rely on themselves -- their innate skills and intelligence -- and let the chips fall where they may within the basic rules of the game.

My favorite moments in Big Brother have always been when some clever contestant manipulates, schemes and lies their way back from certain eviction. No outside agency intervening or deus ex America, just Dan giving his own funeral or Evil Dick annoying all of the houseguests into keeping him around for another week. Brilliant stuff and great TV.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 04:24 AM   #32
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Each show is getting better and better.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 08:33 PM   #33
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

This is definitely one of the better cast seasons they've ever had in Big Brother. Usually the thing that repulses me most about the show is people getting together calling each other evil and horrible for trying to win. But at least in the broadcast not a trace of 'Friendship five syndrome', and a lot of players who actually know how to play the game.

And the characters who seem like shallow, superficial people like Victoria have gotten very little screen time.

It's like after last season the producers of the show actually caught on that the cast needs to be likable.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 10:09 PM   #34
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Great move by Derrick, using Caleb's obsession with Amber as way to convince him to -- not only volunteer to be nominated -- but also suggest throwing the BoB himself. Coach Dan would be proud.

This and his focused determination to back door Devin in the most uncomplicated way possible make me see Derrick as a strong contender to make it to the final two, if not the win.
Old July 15 2014, 04:48 AM   #35
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

I just hope that the lady from Georgia will be able to stay on the show.
Old July 15 2014, 08:42 PM   #36
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Keith1701 wrote: View Post
I just hope that the lady from Georgia will be able to stay on the show.
Paula Deen?

Old July 16 2014, 02:26 AM   #37
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I think he's referring to the incredibly nice religious woman who is not playing the game.
Old July 16 2014, 04:29 AM   #38
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

I think he's referring to the incredibly nice religious woman who is not playing the game.
Ah, Jocasta. Every time they've shown her recently, she looks more and more worn out. This may have something to do with being put on the block with a self-sabotaging future stalker or it may just be that the house is slowly driving her insane. Is she even wearing her bowtie anymore?
Old July 16 2014, 04:32 PM   #39
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Ah, Jocasta. Every time they've shown her recently, she looks more and more worn out. This may have something to do with being put on the block with a self-sabotaging future stalker or it may just be that the house is slowly driving her insane. Is she even wearing her bowtie anymore?
She has been sick for a few days, so that probably has something to do with it. She didn't play in the POV competition even though she was nominated because she was too sick. She is boring as hell on the show and when she does speak, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Her and Victoria are barely existing in there.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 03:56 PM   #40
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I was just thinking about starting the thread today, I'm excited! I've gone ahead and purchased the live feeds. I figure that it could not possibly be worse than last year, we can only go up. I have a good feeling about this year.

As for the twists, I'm trying to reserve judgment until we get some more details. It does seem like they are possibly setting it up to start with two teams against each other (with each having an HOH that nominates two from the other team). Perhaps relatives on opposing teams, as they have done in Survivor? A blood vs. water type theme has been the big rumor for a while now. Or, it could be a team of returning players vs. new players.

There's really a lot of different ways it could go, so I'll just be patient until tomorrow, when the cast is revealed.

When I first saw the house pictures I thought it was kind of ugly, but the more I look at it the more I like it. The different elements make sense. I especially like the earth room, which looks like the inside of a cave. The only room I really don't like is the living room, the colors are just hideous.

A link to the house photos if anyone is interested: http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother...-photos/54460/

I'm looking forward to my usual summer obsession!
Either you are a Big Brother Fan and you will watch no matter what.
Old July 18 2014, 12:11 AM   #41
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

When they said America's Team mission was "Who should the team try to get on the block" I got scared for a minute. Like, entire season down the drain.

It was such a relief when the options were so vague and open to interpretation they could probably do what they wanted to do anyway. "A physical threat" and "A floater" both describe about half the house.

Edit: This has to be the first Big Brother season in history that the cast actually understands that the people playing against them in the game are not evil people in real life.

What I want to know is, HOW did it take them 16 years to learn how to cast?

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; July 18 2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old July 18 2014, 02:47 PM   #42
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

My guess is that after the enormous backlash last season, they brought in someone new to do casting. Other than the hamster who was voted out last night (and whose appearance seems like an audition for a future Celebrity Rehab show), there is no one I dislike in the cast.

Granted, there are some like that one woman who Julie pointed out flies so far under the radar that it's impossible to tell what (if anything) she is thinking.
Old July 18 2014, 04:41 PM   #43
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
My guess is that after the enormous backlash last season, they brought in someone new to do casting. Other than the hamster who was voted out last night (and whose appearance seems like an audition for a future Celebrity Rehab show), there is no one I dislike in the cast.

Granted, there are some like that one woman who Julie pointed out flies so far under the radar that it's impossible to tell what (if anything) she is thinking.
Victoria.

Guys at the pool table, cat-calling: "Hey, what's your name?"

In diary room: "No, seriously -- what's your name?"
Old July 18 2014, 11:11 PM   #44
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Yeah, did you notice that about Victoria? "I vote to evict DEVIL Devin".

Ten people think Devin's a good guy in real life but knew they had to vote against him in the game. One person thought he was an evil person, and it was Victoria. I think she's got the wrong season.

As annoying as Devin was, he wasn't annoying enough to make the show unpleasant to watch, whereas most seasons have half the cast who are just plain unpleasant.
Old July 19 2014, 02:10 AM   #45
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
She has been sick for a few days, so that probably has something to do with it. She didn't play in the POV competition even though she was nominated because she was too sick. She is boring as hell on the show and when she does speak, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Her and Victoria are barely existing in there.
When a cast member feels sick, do they call in a doctor? (I'm assuming they would if it were really serious, but what are the rules for this?)

It's too bad she felt ill, but players who think God and Jesus care if they win just annoy me.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote