Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 21 2014, 04:14 PM   #31
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: Paramount officially announces Star Trek 3 for 2016

It's going to be a May release and it'll do just fine.

Looking forward to Orci's take.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 04:33 PM   #32
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

The Stig wrote: View Post
It's going to be a May release and it'll do just fine.

Looking forward to Orci's take.

+1
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 02:30 PM   #33
austen_pierce
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
if they release it in May they can have the dvd out for Sept 8.

everyones a winner!
Except, DVDs are traditionally released on Tuesdays and September 8, 2016 in a Thursday. I suppose in this case they can make an exception and release it on a Thursday, certainly there is precedent with The Hunger Games or Twilight DVDs being released on Fridays and Saturdays, and I think the DVD of Avatar came out on a Thursday itself. But this is Star Trek, and if we can't be told to wait until Tuesday, it ruins the experience of being a Trekkie. James T Kirk himself had to wait until Tuesday for anything of value on board the Enterprise B, we can wait until Tuesday of a DVD.
Anxiously, bouncing in my seat, chomping at the bit, can't wait, so eager, to have sand kicked in my face, just one more time!
Old June 22 2014, 04:26 PM   #34
Agent Richard07
Retired

• Sausage Party (Sony) - 6/3
Somehow I knew that Paul Rudd was going to be in this thing.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 01:40 AM   #35
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

ralph wrote: View Post
September 8th, "The Man Trap", would be cool. But it's the end of summer and the start of school. what about on Christmas? Abrams wanted to launch Star Trek on this day.
I wouldn't be opposed to a Christmas day release, however, presumably people wouldn't want to go to the film that day and see a dark film (at least, as dark as ID). I'd be all for a September 8 release date except for the fact it would be a Thursday and violates the traditional Friday/Wednesday film release schedule. Would the movie industry have a problem with that?

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 02:51 AM   #36
Agent Richard07
Retired

Most movies open on a Thursday now. The last two Trek movies opened on a Thursday.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 01:54 PM   #37
The Wormhole
Admiral

Caretaker wrote: View Post
ralph wrote: View Post
September 8th, "The Man Trap", would be cool. But it's the end of summer and the start of school. what about on Christmas? Abrams wanted to launch Star Trek on this day.
I wouldn't be opposed to a Christmas day release, however, presumably people wouldn't want to go to the film that day and see a dark film (at least, as dark as ID). I'd be all for a September 8 release date except for the fact it would be a Thursday and violates the traditional Friday/Wednesday film release schedule. Would the movie industry have a problem with that?
A Thursday release for a movie isn't really all that out there. In fact, many movies that are typically promoted as being released on a Friday end up having their first screening at 7:00 pm Thursday, like XI and STID as noted above.

However, a big budget blockbuster is not going to be released in September. That just doesn't happen. Such a movie would be considered marketing suicide.
Old June 24 2014, 02:10 AM   #38
Khan 2.0
Captain

Rumours are about that due to Fords injury SW7 might be put back to Memorial Day 2016 in place of Alice in WL 2
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67758

if so I guess Trek3 would have to be Nov or Dec 2016 (so itd be similar to 2002) as I couldn't see Paramount releasing Trek the same summer as Wars (as cool as that would be)

also maybe Disney would have to move the first spinoff SW movie that was due Dec 2016 to summer 2017 (40th anniversary of SW)

what a year for SF movies 2016 is shaping up to be! - BatmanvSuperman, Trek3, XMen Apocalypse, ID4 sequel, Apes 3, Avatar 2, and maybe Prometheus 2 and SW7!!

Last edited by Khan 2.0; June 24 2014 at 02:31 AM.
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 03:43 AM   #39
The Keeper
Commodore

I think thinking Trek3 will have a winter release is wishful thinking.

Do I think they want to take on a new Wars? No, but it's probably being planned as summer fare so unless Orci and Payne really raises the bar here, knocks the suits designer socks off with an explosive story they think could stand against Wars then I would be, and am, bracing for the announcement Trek 3 will be delayed until summer o' 17.
Old June 24 2014, 04:44 AM   #40
Khan 2.0
Captain

and miss the 50th?

I doubt it
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 10:46 AM   #41
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

OH so far..

Thank god SW will tide me over. And maybe sweep me away.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 11:07 AM   #42
MacLeod
Admiral

I suspect everyone in the industry and perhaps outside of it expected a 2016 release date.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 01:44 PM   #43
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I really can't see a Trek/Wars showdown taking place. You have to assume those at Paramount aren't that stupid? To use a phrase from Colonel West in The Undiscovered Country extended cut, Star Wars would clean Trek's chronometers - irrespective of individual movie quality.
Old June 24 2014, 02:30 PM   #44
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

and miss the 50th?

I doubt it
The 50th mean more to a small group of fandom than it does to Paramount. If they think the best box office results will come from a delay, then they will delay it.

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I really can't see a Trek/Wars showdown taking place. You have to assume those at Paramount aren't that stupid? To use a phrase from Colonel West in The Undiscovered Country extended cut, Star Wars would clean Trek's chronometers - irrespective of individual movie quality.
Yup.
Old June 24 2014, 02:46 PM   #45
The Wormhole
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
and miss the 50th?

I doubt it
The 50th mean more to a small group of fandom than it does to Paramount. If they think the best box office results will come from a delay, then they will delay it.
Thing is, after the big splash Doctor Who made with its 50th anniversary, I would imagine Paramount will want to do everything possible to replicate that for Star Trek's 50th. To do otherwise is dropping the ball in the most serious of ways.