Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 17 2014, 04:20 AM   #1
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Fun Music Thread: Lyrics you got wrong!!

I was poking around the 'What are you listening to right now?' thread, and was reminded of songs that you at one time misunderstood the lyrics to.

There was a kid I used to know who thought that in The Police song Canary in a Coal Mine, they were actually singing "Larry in a Coma"! To this day, every time I hear it, I think of that!

Surely you've others...this could be fun!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 04:35 AM   #2
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Re: Fun Music Thread: Lyrics you got wrong!!

posted this one in that thread, but the shame and embarrassment is worth another post...

When the Miami Dolphins (American Football, measured in yards...oops, wrong thread! ) were kicking ass and taking names in the '70's, the radio stations were playing the hell out of the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar"...during that time and for years after, I thought they were singing "Don Shula" (the name of the coach of the Dolphins) instead of "brown sugar"...

...hand to god...

...yikes...

...I am cleansed now...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 04:39 AM   #3
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

HIjol wrote: View Post
When the Miami Dolphins (American Football, measured in yards...oops, wrong thread! )

HIjol wrote: View Post
...in the '70's, the radio stations were playing the hell out of the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar"...during that time and for years after, I thought they were singing "Don Shula" (the name of the coach of the Dolphins) instead of "brown sugar"...

...hand to god...

...yikes...

...I am cleansed now...
Methinks there is much mirth to follow here!
Old June 17 2014, 10:10 AM   #4
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Mondegreens! I love mondegreens.

Speaking of classic Rolling Stones songs, for years I thought the first line of the chorus of "Ruby Tuesday" was "Goodbye, Groovy Tuesday."

From Steppenwolf's “Born to be Wild”:
The line “Fire all of your guns at once and explode into space,” I used to think was “Buy all of the guns and watch them explode into space.”

And in the song "Tonight" from West Side Story -- the line "Today the world was just an address" I always used to hear as "Today the world was just a mattress."
Old June 17 2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Mario de Monti
Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
And in the song "Tonight" from West Side Story -- the line "Today the world was just an address" I always used to hear as "Today the world was just a mattress."
Good one

How about Blowin´in the Wind by Bob Dylan: Instead of "the answer my friend ..." it´s easy to understand "the ants are my friends".
Old June 17 2014, 12:52 PM   #6
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Two from Heart, from back when I was an early teen in the late 80s:

In "Who Will You Run To", she says "Who's gonna love you baby as good as I", and I always thought she was saying, "Who's gonna run your fear's coup d'etat".

In "These Dreams", she says "White skin.... in a linen. Perfume on my wrist", and I thought she was saying "White skin, in a lemon, is perfume on my wrist". (By way of explanation: in medieval times, women would rub themselves with scented oils and fruit essences, including citrus peels, to perfume themselves.)

And another one from 38 Special:

In "Second Chance", he says, "When love makes it sound bad", and I thought he was saying "When love makes a salvage".

I thought Heart were some lyrical geniuses, and they are, but I'm actually kind of pleased that those two particular pieces of lyrics that I still think are quite good were the result of my own brain trying to fill in the words, and coming up with them. And frankly, I just refuse to acknowledge the "correct" lyrics to "Second Chance". Seriously, what the heck does "When love makes it sound bad" even mean there? At least mine makes sense.
Old June 17 2014, 08:32 PM   #7
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

I was listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers earlier and I always giggle when I hear Refugee. I was a preteen when the song first came out as I always thought the line "You do-on't ha-ave to li-ive like a refugee" was something along the lines of "Ooo ow-own he-eh a little like a refugee". In my defence Tom's enunciation isn't exactly stellar. I got a shit-ton of song lyrics wrong when I was younger, but darned if I can think of another example right now.
Old June 17 2014, 09:27 PM   #8
RevdKathy
BobTheSkutter's wife

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

I'm still convinced the riff in ''when the going gets tough (the tough get going)' is "Go and get stuffed".
Old June 17 2014, 09:37 PM   #9
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

The line “Fire all of your guns at once and explode into space,” I used to think was “Buy all of the guns and watch them explode into space.”
Steppenwolf IV: The Quest for Peace

macloudt wrote: View Post
I got a shit-ton of song lyrics wrong when I was younger, but darned if I can think of another example right now.
I was hoping that starting the thread would shake my memory loose too, but so far no dice...
Old June 17 2014, 09:45 PM   #10
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

RevdKathy wrote: View Post
I'm still convinced the riff in ''when the going gets tough (the tough get going)' is "Go and get stuffed".
My wife used to think that where the INXS song "Not Enough Time" was saying "Make time stop... for the two of us" that it was saying "Big time stuff... for the two of us". I occasionally lovingly pick on her about that.
Old June 17 2014, 09:49 PM   #11
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I was never quite sure what about that particular summer Phil Collins was waiting for his entire life, until I realized it was, "I've been waiting for this moment for all my life."

Likewise, I thought Dobie Grey just wanted to chill out to some Beach Boys and drift away. Turns out, he wasn't that discerning about who was singing the song, and just wanted some young male to "Give me the beat boy and free my soul, I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away."
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 09:57 PM   #12
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
I was never quite sure what about that particular summer Phil Collins was waiting for his entire life, until I realized it was, "I've been waiting for this moment for all my life."

Likewise, I thought Dobie Grey just wanted to chill out to some Beach Boys and drift away. Turns out, he wasn't that discerning about who was singing the song, and just wanted some young male to "Give me the beat boy and free my soul, I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away."
I heard this one, too.

And speaking of summer, for a while I had the damnedest time finding a copy of a song I really liked called "Poison Summer". Part of the chorus went like:

I can tell you,
My love for you will still be strong
After the poison
summer has gone.

Old June 17 2014, 10:08 PM   #13
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

RevdKathy wrote: View Post
I prefer your version.
Old June 18 2014, 01:31 AM   #14
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Mondegreens! I love mondegreens.

Speaking of classic Rolling Stones songs, for years I thought the first line of the chorus of "Ruby Tuesday" was "Goodbye, Groovy Tuesday."

Me too!

Nice ones!

Some mishearings I've heard:

Stand Back -- Stevie Nicks

What I thought I heard -- 'Don't turn away my friend, like a weirdo I can't bend...'

The real lyric -- 'Do not turn away my friend Like a willow I can bend'

Old Time Rock & Roll -- Bob Seger

What I thought:

Just take those old records on yourself ()

What the lyrics really were:

Just take those old records off the shelf

I was singing this song awhile ago and got the lyrics messed up by mistake, due to being somewhat tired.

I finally understand the lyrics from Billy Joel's song, We Didn't Start The Fire. For years I misunderstood two parts from it...

What I thought the lyric was: Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, Bridge On The River Kwai
Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball
Starkweather Homicide, Children of The Little Mind...

* Keep this in mind, I was a little kid when I first mis heard this, I wasn't being disrepectful to people in any way. I only finally understood the lyrics this year. Thank you Mr. Joel and your singing .

What it really was: Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, Bridge On The River Kwai
Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball
Starkweather Homicide, Children of Thalidomide...

The other misunderstood one: Buddy Holly, Ben-Hur, Space Monkey, Mafia
Hula Hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go
U2, Cinnamon Ring, payola and Kennedy
Chubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo

* Ok, this one makes no sense at all , but that's what I hear EVERY time he sings that part of the song.

What it really was: Buddy Holly, Ben-Hur, Space Monkey, Mafia
Hula Hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go
U2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
Chubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo
Old June 18 2014, 02:31 AM   #15
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Echo and the Bunnymen "Lips Like Sugar".

The actual lyric is:

Lips like sugar Sugar kisses

What I heard:

Lips like chicken, chicken kisses

Though I guess I wasn't the only one.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote