Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 5 2014, 04:15 PM   #31
skree
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Starship FARRAGUT: Conspiracy of Innocence

I noticed a continuity error: George Foster is referred as LT. but he is wearing Commander's stripes.
Old August 5 2014, 05:45 PM   #32
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

A very enjoyable episode! Though I'm never a fan of child actors.

While I have minor nitpicks, I have no major complaints with the episode - which is rare when I watch fan films. Great job to everybody involved.

Bixby wrote: View Post
My only real quibble? Well as a french-canadian by birth I really appreciate the inclusion of the new transporter operator, but sorry, for all the complaining about Chekov's russian accent over the years, it was nothing compared to the choice of an almost Inspector Clouseau-like french...
Well, I'm no expert, but I have a friend from France, and to my untrained ears, she sounds almost exactly like the character here. So it definitely works for non-native speakers. I think it's just that the actress here sounds like she's really trying, so it comes out forced.
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 05:57 PM   #33
lennier1
Commodore

Why was the transporter chief dressed like some 80s pop star anyway?
I was half expecting the background music to switch to Culture Club.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 07:04 PM   #34
northstar
Lieutenant

Hmmm - watched it this morning. Production values are pretty good - although I thought all the greenscreen stuff on the planet was a bit off, but that´s pretty hard to do convincingly. What I found a big letdown was the story. The whole episode was just around 30 minutes - and even that felt like it dragged along forever - I almost looked for the fast forward button. The "twist" was seen a mile and a half away, there was no tension whatsoever, the only real nice gimmick was the sudden jump of the captain to that other location - but unfortunately even this felt forced and tacked on to the script. Come on Farragut, you can do better!

Last edited by northstar; August 5 2014 at 11:43 PM.
northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 07:10 PM   #35
Bixby
Commander

aalenfae wrote: View Post
Well, I'm no expert, but I have a friend from France, and to my untrained ears, she sounds almost exactly like the character here. So it definitely works for non-native speakers. I think it's just that the actress here sounds like she's really trying, so it comes out forced.
...except that France french and canadian french are as different as Texas english and cockney, or as a Boston accent to a London one...To make it simple, I've noticed a Parisian will say z-heese and zhat when trying to say THIS and THAT, while a Montrealer will tend to pronounce DISS and DATT...

For future webisodes, I suggest the Farragut crew google any number of talk show interviews with singer Celine Dion, a native Quebecker who has been living in Las Vegas over the last decade or so, who still has random french inflections...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 11:29 PM   #36
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Not what I expected from the trailers, which is good! But I figured out what was going on fairly quickly.

The cinematography is improved from previous segments. The sets look good. Serious crossing-the-line in the Teaser. C'mon everyone, it's not that hard to get that right.

I think the output setting for Youtube might be incorrect as the image looks too flat (like the highs and lows are getting clipped), but perhaps that's a desired effect.

Last edited by Maurice; August 5 2014 at 11:40 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 03:18 PM   #37
CaptainSerek
Commander

View CaptainSerek's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to CaptainSerek Send a message via AIM to CaptainSerek Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CaptainSerek Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainSerek

I saw it yesterday. While I have a couple of nitpicks, I would say I enjoyed it overall. I liked the recreation of the Romulan bridge as well as seeing the cast and crew back in action.
Old August 7 2014, 12:50 PM   #38
Bixby
Commander

From another website, apparently Farragut's next episode will be filmed this november with a script by actor Paul Sieber (who also scripted The Captaincy and The Price of Anything). Looks like they will also do a Mirror Universe-related episode titled ''The Crossing''.

More interestingly, looks like there will be a spin-off series featuring the Farragut crew in adventures set during the Wrath of Khan era, called Farragut Forward.

Last one sounds ambitious if a bit expensive: new sets, new props, new wardrobe...new 80s hair?
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 05:45 PM   #39
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Unless they get permission to use the Potemkin sets. Those are movie-era.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 05:48 PM   #40
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

I would think they'd be more likely to build their own than use the Potemkin sets - IIRC, those are sub-scale and don't really match up to Farragut's own sets in detail.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 05:54 PM   #41
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

DCR wrote: View Post
I would think they'd be more likely to build their own than use the Potemkin sets - IIRC, those are sub-scale and don't really match up to Farragut's own sets in detail.
Which would lead to another multiple-year delay in production and take more rent money to house. But you could be right.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 09:17 PM   #42
batboy853
Lieutenant

I would think it would be a great idea for them to build their own. hopefully they would be building it with okudagrams, IE the look of the bridge at the end of the voyage home, this could allow the bridge to be easily redressed to an early TNG feel by just changing the LCARS graphics. IE the TWOK bridge was redressed to the TNG battle bridge / Stargazer Bridge

I can very easily see them building these sets and then allowing other films use them / rent. I thought they were already lending out their TOS sets to another film...
batboy853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 08:55 PM   #43
Danlav05
Commander

Bixby wrote: View Post
From another website, apparently Farragut's next episode will be filmed this november with a script by actor Paul Sieber (who also scripted The Captaincy and The Price of Anything). Looks like they will also do a Mirror Universe-related episode titled ''The Crossing''.

More interestingly, looks like there will be a spin-off series featuring the Farragut crew in adventures set during the Wrath of Khan era, called Farragut Forward.

Last one sounds ambitious if a bit expensive: new sets, new props, new wardrobe...new 80s hair?
The MU episode sounds fun but the movie era stuff is music to my ears, after they teased last year with in-costume Facebook photos.

This is from Trekmovie.com:

The new spin-off will include the characters of Capt. Carter and Chief Engineer Smithfield, along with possibly other Farragut characters. Filming for the first Farragut Forward episode "The Present Moment" is scheduled to start next April with new TOS era sets being built in the Washington, DC area. Broughton tells TrekMovie that he expects Starship Farragut (in the TOS era) and Farragut Forward (in the movie era) to run concurrently, with new episodes from each.
I appreciate how the 5YM era is the easiest to recreate but it will be nice to see the movie era for a change. It is a favourite of mine! I have yet to see Conspiracy of Innocence but if they keep the quality up it will be a treat! 3 shows from 1 group is very ambitious!

The sets in Washington DC will be exciting to see and I feel it is a huge door opening in the world of fan films.

Continues and Farragut feel very different despite having virtually the same production crew - am I the only one who predicts a full-blown crossover is inevitable? Maybe for Trek's 50th?? Which era will it be in though?
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 06:08 AM   #44
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

I liked it though not as much as the previous episode
I enjoyed the creepy catspaw vibe with a dash of village of the damned tossed in. Could have used I think another 5-10 minutes to dial up the menace and peril which would have made the payoff resolution that much more punchy
Minor nitpicks would be the cast are getting alarmingly rounder with each episode and the acting seemed flatter than the previous episode as well.
The space cgi effects are not up to par with the other major fan productions.
I have a soft spot for Farragut so the criticism comes from a place of love especially after the previous and animated episodes where I think they really hit their stride.
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 03:55 PM   #45
jojolimited
Lieutenant

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Good to see Mr. Broughton in company back in the swing of things. I think their acting has gotten better with each outing and the technical aspects look solid. I'm looking forward to this one!
He's really grown into the role of captain. Big difference from the early movies. Congrats on this one!
jojolimited is offline   Reply With Quote