RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 515
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old May 18 2014, 06:41 PM   #1
KMCarr
Ensign

Different kind o Trek

How about a series without all of the technology? No star ships, transporters, replicators or holo suites. A series that has two characters from TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Perhaps Guinan, Dr Crusher, Quark, Nog, Janeway and Torres get stranded on some planet at the far end of the Gamma quadrant by Q who shows up occasionally to laugh at them and the planet is otherwise inhabited by people who the Borg declined to assimilate because there was just something really odd about them.
KMCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Different kind o Trek

Pass. Next newbie's goofy idea?
Old May 18 2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Pass. Next newbie's goofy idea?
My usual response to such goofy ideas is the person should just write their own story and not bother setting it in the Star Trek universe if they want to remove everything that makes it Trek.
Old May 18 2014, 09:51 PM   #4
KMCarr
Ensign

Now now, maintaining a sense of humor is key to a healthy life.
Old May 18 2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Dukhat
Commodore

True, but joke threads are frowned upon here.
Old May 19 2014, 05:02 AM   #6
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

So no "Stars" and no "Trekking"?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 09:36 AM   #7
HIjol
Fleet Captain

...wait, wait, I know...it can be all about these people...this group of people that the Borg would not even go near...and they could be placed, like, on a I don't know like private place where they would have to...no, like on an island, yea, an island where they would hafta live and like survive and stuff...and there could be allies and like a contest and if they lose then they can't stay there any more...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 01:21 PM   #8
KMCarr
Ensign

Humor is frowned on eh? That comes across as being antithetical to the spirit of the Trek franchise.

Actually, Nerys, I think that one reason Enterprise didn't make it to the usual seven-season run is because there really wasn't anything truly new and inventive about it. Trek had finally fallen prey to formulaic boredom. Let's see, another starship named "Enterprise", lots of prosthetic makeup, let's make it even more violent than DS9, we'll need a Vulcan and a witty doctor and an engineer... YAWN. The only new stuff was someone had a pet dog and retro technology (retro from the previous three series). On top of that, UPN had to remind us constantly of how advanced their onscreen-during-the-show ad-graphics technology had become. I think that Trek as it was (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) has reached its end because it no longer challenges the imagination.

Last edited by KMCarr; May 20 2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old May 21 2014, 04:15 AM   #9
Dukhat
Commodore

KMCarr wrote: View Post
Humor is frowned on eh? That comes across as being antithetical to the spirit of the Trek franchise.
No, humor is not frowned upon here. But creating topics just for the purpose of making dumb jokes that do nothing to stimulate interesting conversation is.
Old May 21 2014, 08:05 PM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Perhaps Guinan, Dr Crusher, Quark, Nog, Janeway and Torres get stranded on some planet
Gilligan's Planetoid?

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 08:26 AM   #11
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
My usual response to such goofy ideas is the person should just write their own story and not bother setting it in the Star Trek universe if they want to remove everything that makes it Trek.
The amount of effort that goes into Fan Fiction and Fan Films astonishes me when, invariably, they are always subpar - most usually because of funding issues, but not just that. They usually don't know the "rules" on how to set up a story, or the dialogue is shite, or the acting is horrible, or the environment's cheesy-looking, or all of the above. It's like they just go the STAR TREK route to make sure somebody reads, or watches it. Some also go the route of "comedy," like this person, to mask a poor idea, or to excuse the lack of funding, which makes it even worse. I'd be much more interested in reading/seeing an original idea, especially one that the author is passionate about. It might not be great entertainment, but it might be great, creatively ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 04:35 PM   #12
Red Omega
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually, Nerys, I think that one reason Enterprise didn't make it to the usual seven-season run is because there really wasn't anything truly new and inventive about it. Trek had finally fallen prey to formulaic boredom. Let's see, another starship named "Enterprise", lots of prosthetic makeup, let's make it even more violent than DS9, we'll need a Vulcan and a witty doctor and an engineer... YAWN. The only new stuff was someone had a pet dog and retro technology (retro from the previous three series). On top of that, UPN had to remind us constantly of how advanced their onscreen-during-the-show ad-graphics technology had become. I think that Trek as it was (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) has reached its end because it no longer challenges the imagination.
Agree. Star Trek had grown stale. Same old thing. Same old casting. Same old stories. YAWN. It deserved to be cancelled, although Manny Coto showed us what Enterprise SHOULD have been.
Red Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 10:48 PM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral

You'll get no argument from me that part of the reason for the failure of ENT is that many considered it same old, same old. Or if you prefer ; It's the same now it sucks

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...SameNowItSucks

Some even level that same critisim at VOY, but perhaps the opposite was true for some with regards to DSN, basically They've changed it now it sucks

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...edItNowItSucks

But your view might differ depedning on what you like, whcih show served as your introduction to ST etc..

Could a ST set on a planet work possibly, depending on the execution. But I think if I were to go down that route I would set it in the early days of the Federation when tech was more minimal, and maybe go down the route of a colony ship that goes off course etc.. After all haven't we come across lost colonies, or colonies who wanted to go down a different route from the accepted standards of that time? But once again it comes down to execution.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 07:28 AM   #14
Wadjda
Commander

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
The amount of effort that goes into Fan Fiction and Fan Films astonishes me when, invariably, they are always subpar - most usually because of funding issues, but not just that. They usually don't know the "rules" on how to set up a story, or the dialogue is shite, or the acting is horrible, or the environment's cheesy-looking, or all of the above. It's like they just go the STAR TREK route to make sure somebody reads, or watches it. Some also go the route of "comedy," like this person, to mask a poor idea, or to excuse the lack of funding, which makes it even worse. I'd be much more interested in reading/seeing an original idea, especially one that the author is passionate about. It might not be great entertainment, but it might be great, creatively ...
If somebody is really good with a low budget, chances are he/she is doing something more original