Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 30 2014, 11:48 PM   #16
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

Re: Who are the cast of Seekers?

What are the dimensions of the Sagittarius, again?
Enterprise1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 12:53 AM   #17
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Length: 45 meters
Width: 22.5 meters
Height: 9 meters
Crew Complement: 14

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 02:42 PM   #18
Technobuilder
Commodore

What are the cruising/top Warp Speeds and the main weapons load-out of the Sagittarius?

Trying to get a sense of how it stacks up against a Constitution-Class. (which I'm assuming is Top-of-the-Line Federation Tech for the era?)

And thank you.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 07:37 PM   #19
David Mack
Writer

The Sagittarius has a top cruising speed of roughly Warp 9.4 (TNG scale).

She has a single, multipurpose probe/torpedo tube, but she usually carries only about four photon torpedoes at any given time. She has twin phaser nodes, both mounted on the dorsal side of her saucer (which makes the ship a bit more vulnerable on its ventral side). If she ever goes in for a TMP-era refit, this is one thing I would definitely want to fix.

The ship is equipped with a single lifeboat, on the starboard side of the main deck. In the cargo hold, the Sagittarius carries two amphibious rover vehicles, which are stored disassembled between deployments, to save space. (Its original rovers, Roxy and Ziggy, were lost in action in Storming Heaven; the new rovers are Vixen and Blitzen.)

The Archer-class ships are actually newer than the Constitution-class ships, and they carry Starfleet's state-of-the-art sensors and comms. They are made to go very far, very fast, and peek behind the curtains without anyone else ever knowing they had been there. More details about the ship can be found in this Vanguard Series Bible Addendum. Note that this document is a bit out of date, especially with regard to the current crew, and it contains SPOILERS for Vanguard: Reap the Whirlwind.

Archer-class ships can also outrun and outmaneuver Constitution-class ships (in part because of their superior power-to-mass ratio), but the Archer-class ships are not made to last long in firefights. They are designed as high-speed outriders, and their loadouts are specialized for scouting operations and long-range reconnaissance.

Old July 1 2014, 08:27 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

David Mack wrote: View Post
The Sagittarius has a top cruising speed of roughly Warp 9.4 (TNG scale).
Really??? That doesn't seem possible. That would be something like warp 12 on the TOS scale, and Kirk's Enterprise had a sustainable maximum of warp 8, only managing to survive faster speeds with alien intervention. And its cruising speed -- i.e. non-emergency speed, the equivalent of a car traveling at highway speeds -- was only warp 6.

Heck, even Voyager in the 24th century had a cruising speed of warp 6 on the new scale (about 7.3 on the old scale) and a maximum rated safe speed of warp 9.2. So a cruising speed for a 23rd-century vessel that's faster than the top sustainable emergency speed for a vessel a century later? I'm sorry, I don't see how that can be.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 09:25 PM   #21
David Mack
Writer

You're comparing apples and oranges. Look at the relative difference in mass-to-engine ratios. The Sagittarius is almost one-third engine, and most of her power goes to propulsion systems. She's a hot-rod. It's the same reason a well-made, high-end motorcycle can out-accelerate, out-maneuver, and on straightaways simply outrun all but the most powerful cars.

Old July 1 2014, 09:56 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

Well, sure, but that would correspond to being able to handle warp 9 on the TOS scale, say. A high-end motorcycle can manage maybe close to 200 MPH, which is maybe 20-30% above a typical car's top speed as far as I can tell. Warp 12 compared to the Enterprise's warp 8 is like having that same motorcycle go at 500 MPH or better.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 10:04 PM   #23
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I suspect David is aware of what he is on about,

So essentially it can go really rather fast then.

Oh and the new SFX had a full print advert in the magazine and reading it for nigh on fifteen years, I can't ever recall seeing an advert for Trek Lit in there (there may have been for the DS9 relaunch) and they don't even review the novels anymore.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 10:49 PM   #24
tenmei
Fleet Captain

David Mack wrote: View Post
I've described the bridge of the Sagittarius several times in the Vanguard novels. It's a single compartment on a level deck. The entrance is a sliding door on the aft bulkhead. Captain's chair in the center, combination helm/operations console forward. Wraparound main viewscreen on the curved forward bulkhead. Duty consoles line the bulkheads; the tactical station is aft, near the door. Communications is on the port side, sensors are to starboard. The compartment has a low overhead. It is Compartment Number 01, located at the front of the saucer and is flanked by the captain's quarters to starboard and the XO's cabin to port.
Is it basically a smaller version of the Connie bridge then - as I always saw something more like the Danube mixed with the Defiant, with TOS design ethics.
Old July 1 2014, 11:41 PM   #25
David Mack
Writer

The Sagittarius bridge is a much more confined space. I'd need to have someone work up detailed plans to know for sure, but my guess is the deck area would likely be about half what's found on the Endeavour.

As far as the ship's speed, if it pleases the fannish mind to think that her top speed is Warp 9.4 on the TOS scale, so be it. Everything moves at the speed of plot, anyway, so it's not as if it makes any real difference.

Old July 2 2014, 12:27 PM   #26
Jarvisimo
Commander

I shall now be picturing the Sagittarius crew in racing leathers. This may be an improvement over green jumpsuits.
Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, [that] will lead to all men’s happiness. (http://tinyurl.com/cq8ektz)
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 03:31 PM   #27
David Mack
Writer

^ For some, yes. For others … not so much.

Old July 2 2014, 04:07 PM   #28
Jarvisimo
Commander

Oh the Master Chief! I had forgotten about him...
Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, [that] will lead to all men’s happiness. (http://tinyurl.com/cq8ektz)
Old July 2 2014, 04:16 PM   #29
David Mack
Writer

^ Not to mention Salagho Threx. *shudders*

For those who don't remember who these folks are, I'll try to post a list of Seekers' dramatis personae later today.

Old July 2 2014, 07:44 PM   #30
Jarvisimo
Commander

^^ You seem to love describing these men eating and/or touching themselves. This kinaesthetic treatment always feels like the more uncomfortable parts of 1960s avant-garde carnal film...