Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 16 2014, 11:21 PM   #31
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: Could a Kickstarter Campaign Help Start a New Series?

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Star Trek: Renegades is doing the same thing "Of Gods and Men" did and "Axanar" (and Phase II, to a lesser degree) are doing. They're using the names of the people involved (actors and production staff from the actual Star Trek shows) to give their productions clout and appeal to their audience.
In the case of Phase II, it's a little bit a of a major degree; David Gerrold is now the showrunner on it.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 04:37 PM   #32
Tom
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
mythme wrote: View Post
Not naysaying that but I would expect the actors (Russ, Picardo, Koenig, etc) and the behind-the-scenes folk like Doug Drexler know that. They must have a plan for that contingency.
I think it's sad that they mislead people by claiming that they are making a pilot for CBS (which one of them was on here claiming last year).
Yep.
It's being made as a pilot, it can only be pitched to CBS since they own Star Trek (J Allen). I don't see how its misleading, it's presented as a pilot (for a web or TV series) that will either be accepted or rejected by CBS. Even if rejected, it still was pilot that was pitched.

Now, if someone said it is a new series that CBS will show, then that is very much false! (and I will shoot anyone in the production that says otherwise ).

I do see fans (on Facebook etc..) get a bit over zealous and say its a new series and I often have to correct them and say its a pilot to pitched and if it fails it will be just be a film that fans can enjoy on the internet.

Owner & Founder - TrekUnited.com & GalacticaBBS
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 04:44 PM   #33
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Tom wrote: View Post

It is being made as a pilot, it can only be pitched to CBS since they own Star Trek (J Allen). I don't see how its misleading, its presented as a pilot (as a web or TV series) that will either be accepted or rejected by CBS. Even if rejected, it is/was pilot to be pitched.
But from everything I've ever read on the subject, that simply isn't how the pilot process works. The idea is pitched, tweaked by the network, then they invest in the production of said idea?

1. Have you guys pitched Renegades to CBS?
2. Does CBS have any input on the creative process?
3. Has CBS invested in the production of the pilot?

You guys are still misleading people about what this project actually is (a fan film).
Old June 17 2014, 06:11 PM   #34
Tom
Rear Admiral

It is being made as a pilot, it can only be pitched to CBS since they own Star Trek (J Allen). I don't see how its misleading, its presented as a pilot (as a web or TV series) that will either be accepted or rejected by CBS. Even if rejected, it is/was pilot to be pitched.
But from everything I've ever read on the subject, that simply isn't how the pilot process works. The idea is pitched, tweaked by the network, then they invest in the production of said idea?

You guys are still misleading people about what this project actually is (a fan film).

- No because its not done yet

- If they view it and like the idea then yes of course they will have input, because they will be taking ownership of the concept.

- Similar to the above question, but basically, if they view the pilot and like what they see, then they would have to completely re-film the pilot (or commission a second pilot, or go straight to episodes) under there own studios with union labor, re-contracting the cast so it conforms with industry standards.

Most pilots are pitched on paper and (if accepted) are then filmed using network funding, studios and union labor. There are also pilots that are individually filmed then presented to various networks, all though it is not as common as it was past.

CBS has taken paper presentations for potential Star Trek series before. What we are doing here goes one step further and actually produced a pilot to visually present the idea to CBS. If they do accept it, they will either commission a second pilot or episodes.

If they reject it, then it does end up a film for Star Trek fans to enjoy on the internet.

Even if rejected, it shows CBS how far people are willing to go to get a Star Trek series on TV (or even on the web) . We would be happy if it was even just a internet series. For the fans it is win/win because if CBS does want it, they get a series, if they reject then they get a great film. Either way it is going to be pitched.

Last edited by Tom; June 17 2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old June 18 2014, 03:10 AM   #35
Dennis
The Man

Exactly so.

This project does not, BTW, resemble pitching in any way. In order to pitch, the potential buyer must have enough interest in what you're selling to agree to meet with you. There is no such relationship between the folks behind this project and any buyers at CBS.

This is more like the submission of a spec script, but not really.
Old June 18 2014, 05:08 AM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

For the fans it is win/win because if CBS does want it, they get a series, if they reject then they get a great film. Either way it is going to be pitched.
So you guys are in contact with an actual decision-maker at CBS and they've agreed to view your film?
Old June 18 2014, 05:11 AM   #37
J. Allen
Subtextual

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile

If I'm piecing it together correctly, how it works is like this:

1) Raise the money to film a pilot
2) Complete Pilot and show it to CBS
3) CBS will either love the pilot, and invest time and money into it; reject it, due to whatever reason; or they will ignore it outright.

Is that the gist of it?

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 05:14 AM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
...or they will ignore it outright.
I'm guessing that this will be the outcome.

It already looks like CBS has rejected pitches by Dorn, Frakes, Shatner, Singer and Orci.
Old June 18 2014, 05:26 AM   #39
J. Allen
Subtextual

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile

J. Allen wrote: View Post
...or they will ignore it outright.
I'm guessing that this will be the outcome.

It already looks like CBS has rejected pitches by Dorn, Frakes, Shatner, Singer and Orci.
I wish them the best, but yeah, CBS doesn't seem interested in any Trek TV ideas at the moment.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 01:35 PM   #40
Dennis
The Man

Again, assuming that in every case these folks actually got meetings with someone at the studio who was in a position to develop such a project. If any of them accomplished that much, they accomplished more than these folks will have when they've finished their movie.
Old June 18 2014, 02:15 PM   #41
Melakon
Admiral

This does sound like an unsolicited spec script submission, as Dennis suggests. But instead of just a script, an independent production company intends to contact a single studio with a prospective pilot film. Certainly unusual, since normally an independent company interested in selling their film would be hitting every major studio in town.
Old June 18 2014, 02:18 PM   #42
Tom
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Again, assuming that in every case these folks actually got meetings with someone at the studio who was in a position to develop such a project. If any of them accomplished that much, they accomplished more than these folks will have when they've finished their movie.
So your saying that Tim Russ has no hope of even talking to anyone at CBS, because heck, it's not like he knows anyone at CBS or the industry or anything like that . Thanks for the enlightenment

Since Tim is handling most of the pitch process, I am not going to get too much more into it. It will get pitched and it will be either a yes or a no, its that simple. Either way, fans will have something as a result of this.

@ J Allen, CBS may not be interested in any new trek series, who really knows. Either way, it's worth a try and it just another thing that shows CBS how hungry people are for a new series.

Last edited by Tom; June 18 2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old June 18 2014, 02:25 PM   #43
Tom
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
This does sound like an unsolicited spec script submission, as Dennis suggests. But instead of just a script, an independent production company intends to contact a single studio with a prospective pilot film. Certainly unusual, since normally an independent company interested in selling their film would be hitting every major studio in town.
The approach is bit unusual, given the product is based on a pre-existing franchise owned by a single entity. The fact that is Star Trek though, does provide for the fall back position of something being released for the enjoyment of Trek fans.

Old June 18 2014, 02:37 PM   #44
BillJ
Admiral

So your saying that Tim Russ has no hope of even talking to anyone at CBS, because heck, it's not like he knows anyone at CBS or the industry or anything like that . Thanks for the enlightenment
I'm looking at Tim Russ'* credits and I see nothing that makes me think CBS is going to take a pitch from him any more seriously than a pitch from Roberto Orci or Bryan Singer.

*I like Tim Russ, I think he's a good actor. I've watched him in Voyager and Samantha Who?, that doesn't make him a TV producer.
Old June 18 2014, 03:07 PM   #45
Melakon
Admiral

Tom, let's consider another possible outcome-- suppose Tim does manage to talk to someone who can make the final decision. But that person says, "Hmm, yes, interesting. But no thanks. And by the way, we're going to buy this pilot from you anyway, and lock it away so that no one ever sees it again."

What do you do then? At least you get a little money out of it, but it still never reaches its potential audience.