Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 9 2014, 02:27 AM   #16
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Could a Kickstarter Campaign Help Start a New Series?

Gretnablue wrote: View Post
Question and I know I'll probably not going to get an answer but how much are the TV right for Star Trek?
Pretty much what C.E. Evans said. Right now, Star Trek TV is printing money with people buying the DVD/Blu-ray sets on already produced episodes, and it's highly unlikely that CBS has any plans to sell new rights to anyone, which means that they're not even on the table. While the franchise is popular, it's rare that anyone can afford "not for sale."

Add to the fact that there have been a number of offers over the years from people with the clout to produce a TV show (Roberto Orci, Bryan Fuller, Michael Dorn, just to name a few), and CBS has said no every time.

So for now, they don't want to, and considering what they own, they can hold that position indefinitely.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 04:27 AM   #17
Ryan8bit
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Add to the fact that there have been a number of offers over the years from people with the clout to produce a TV show (Roberto Orci, Bryan Fuller, Michael Dorn, just to name a few), and CBS has said no every time.
Well, Dorn I think has no clout (or not nearly enough). Fuller never actually made a pitch. And Orci's pitch was for an animated series, and was rejected on the basis that one successful movie didn't make a pattern that CBS was willing to bet on. He probably has the best chances of anybody who has shown interest of getting a series made though, and if it did happen it would be after a successful 3rd movie.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 05:53 AM   #18
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Well, Dorn I think has no clout (or not nearly enough). Fuller never actually made a pitch. And Orci's pitch was for an animated series, and was rejected on the basis that one successful movie didn't make a pattern that CBS was willing to bet on. He probably has the best chances of anybody who has shown interest of getting a series made though, and if it did happen it would be after a successful 3rd movie.
I'm hoping so. I love the movies, but I'd like to see a TV series again. Right now I have one show I watch on television, the rest is from Netflix and other sources. I'd like to get interested in primetime TV again.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
Brony Kingdom
Old June 9 2014, 07:23 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Dennis wrote: View Post
Star Trek aired for eleven seasons on UPN; therefore, the venue was not the problem.
+1
Old June 9 2014, 08:07 PM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
CBS didn't really inherit Trek until after ENT got canceled. While Trek fans may be clamoring for a new Trek series, Trek is really just one of many properties that CBS owns. In a way, the success of the last two Trek movies by Paramount may have mitigated the need for a new Trek series to keep the brand afloat.

Additionally, the first-run syndicated drama market and UPN were the major factors for new Trek shows, things that CBS doesn't have to contend with.
My initial understanding was that CBS had somehow come into partnership with Paramount and purchased its Television Properties, thust "inheriting" STAR TREK, as you say. Then, someone "knowledgable" on these boards, I believe, informed me that CBS didn't "inherit" anything, that it had already owned it, or some junk. I don't even know, anymore ...
CBS and Viacom (which owned Paramount) were once under the same Viacom umbrella. Their mutual owner, Sumner Redstone, separated them in 2005, with each company taking about half of Paramount with them. In the split, Viacom kept the movie division, Paramount Pictures, while CBS got Paramount Television (which had the licensing rights to dozens of classic and new TV shows, including every Trek series). CBS dissolved Paramount Television around 2009 and folded Trek into its long list of TV properties.

Gretnablue wrote: View Post
Question and I know I'll probably not going to get an answer but how much are the TV right for Star Trek?
Pretty much what C.E. Evans said. Right now, Star Trek TV is printing money with people buying the DVD/Blu-ray sets on already produced episodes, and it's highly unlikely that CBS has any plans to sell new rights to anyone, which means that they're not even on the table. While the franchise is popular, it's rare that anyone can afford "not for sale."

So for now, they don't want to, and considering what they own, they can hold that position indefinitely.
This in a nutshell, IMO.

The defunct Paramount Television needed new Trek shows for syndication and later UPN; CBS doesn't, but they can still make money by licensing Trek out to Paramount and other companies...and all without having to sink millions into a new series, at least for the time being.
Old June 9 2014, 08:19 PM   #21
Tom
Rear Admiral

Right C.E.. Even before the 2005 split Les Moonves was the top dog overseeing TV properties including Star Trek, and still is today. CBS wholly owns Star Trek and Paramount (as owned by Viacom) pays a licensing fee to make the Star Trek films. Because Summer still had his hands in both companies after the split, contracts between the 2 were a little lighter. Now the companies are growing more distant from each other. It may be conceivable that someday another film studios would pay CBS for the rights to make Star trek films.

back to tv... Kickstarter is not going to help, it is a minimum 3 million for each episode, fans could barely fund one episode, forget an entire season. Star Trek does does fit well into CBS's dynamic, it could never be shown on the CBS network itself because I could never sustain the high enough ratings. The best option is for CBS studios to film the show and then have a cable network (rather on they own network or license the broadcast rights out) show it.
Old June 10 2014, 12:42 AM   #22
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Thanks C.E. Evans - and Tom! Everything's much clearer on that subject. Well, at least STAR TREK seems to be in good hands, regardless of whether or not it's in the "right" hands.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 01:41 AM   #23
mythme
Commodore

Isn't this what Tim Russ and the gang at ST Renegades are trying to do? Every step of their production is basically financed by kickstarter-type donations and the final product is to be submitted to various venues in the hopes of becoming a series
Old June 10 2014, 01:51 AM   #24
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

If that's what they're doing, it's likely to fail. The moment they try to shop around a series based on Star Trek, CBS will put the kibosh on them tout suite.

Brony Kingdom
Old June 10 2014, 02:38 AM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

If that's what they're doing, it's likely to fail. The moment they try to shop around a series based on Star Trek, CBS will put the kibosh on them tout suite.
Yeah. The only place they can "shop" it, is to CBS. When CBS is ready to create a new series, they are going to decide the who, what, when, where and how. It won't be a fan or actor pitch.
Old June 10 2014, 03:41 AM   #26
mythme
Commodore

Not naysaying that but I would expect the actors (Russ, Picardo, Koenig, etc) and the behind-the-scenes folk like Doug Drexler know that. They must have a plan for that contingency.
Old June 10 2014, 02:37 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

mythme wrote: View Post
Not naysaying that but I would expect the actors (Russ, Picardo, Koenig, etc) and the behind-the-scenes folk like Doug Drexler know that. They must have a plan for that contingency.
I think it's sad that they mislead people by claiming that they are making a pilot for CBS (which one of them was on here claiming last year).
Old June 12 2014, 03:17 AM   #28
Dennis
The Man

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think it's sad that they mislead people by claiming that they are making a pilot for CBS (which one of them was on here claiming last year).
Yep.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 03:40 AM   #29
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Then what are they doing? CBS is the only game in town.

Brony Kingdom
Old June 13 2014, 05:37 PM   #30
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Star Trek: Renegades is doing the same thing "Of Gods and Men" did and "Axanar" (and Phase II, to a lesser degree) are doing. They're using the names of the people involved (actors and production staff from the actual Star Trek shows) to give their productions clout and appeal to their audience.

In actuality, they're simply another fan film. Plain and simple. Their production values may be a bit higher than someone filming themselves in front of a greenscreen in a spare bedroom, but they're not close to being official, have little (read: no) chance of being "picked up" by CBS, and CBS could turn around and shut them down in a moments notice if they wanted to.

(Note: No disrespect intended to any fan productions or anyone involved. I enjoy watching them as much as the next guy, but that doesn't legitimize them)
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote