Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 7 2014, 09:33 PM   #31
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: Do you listen to radio?

I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in over a decade.

Between the fact U.S. music has sucked for at least that long, the absolutely stupid commercials and the fact I have hundreds of CD's, it hasn't appealed to me in a very long time.

I've had Sirius a few times in the last several years, most notably in the last 2 new Jeeps, but those Jeeps also have hard drives for mp3's and I've had about 150 CD's worth of music on each of them, so I didn't renew the Sirius after the free year ran out.

I would recommend Sirius/XM to anyone who doesn't have a massive CD or mp3 collection. Tons of choices and the music stations are still commercial-free.

For nachtmusik, I have about 50 Celtic CD's from various artists. Some traditional, some more new-agey.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 11:41 PM   #32
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

As a native Seattleite, (even one whose lived in NYC for over a decade) I am obligated to listen to and rave about KEXP. I also listen to Pandora a lot, and have a few good stations: there's a classical complete station that plays only complete pieces, which is awesome, a decent opera station, and a few different rock stations. The selection can be a bit limited, though, and once I made the mistake of thumbing up the one Dave Matthews song I liked and it kept playing me shitty Dave Matthews music the rest of the day.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 02:41 AM   #33
Velocity
Rear Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Arbitron?
Oh yeah, it was Arbitron. I talked to the first guy until he wanted everyone in the house to keep journals and mail them back, etc. But they didn't quit calling. It was really annoying. I have a clock/radio that I have had since sometime in the 70's or 80's, but never used the radio part. The clock is one of those that changes the time by flipping little number panels. It still keeps good time and the alarm works so I can't justify buying something more modern.
Old June 8 2014, 03:25 AM   #34
Robert D. Robot
Captain

I am a loyal listener of National Public Radio (NPR) and I have been for years. I appreciate their national and local news programs and appreciate the fact that they have other news programs and points of view from other countries, including programs from the CBC in Canada, and the BBC. There are also interesting interview programs with authors, politicians, scientists, historians, entertainers, etc., on programs like "Fresh Air" and "The Diane Rhem Show". Weekends I listen to shows more geared towards entertainment like "Prairie Home Companion", "Wait, Wait- Don't Tell Me!", "This American Life", "Thistle & Shamrock", and "Vinyl Cafe". Ed Walker out of D.C. broadcasts a nice selection of old radio shows on Sunday Nights.

I also occasionally tune in to Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, just to hear what they have to say first hand.... so to be able to assure people that I am not simply relying on Jon Stewart or Colbert to point out & tell me what such characters are spouting on the airwaves. I am self-employed, and NPR keeps me informed and entertained as I work at home. (I am aware of how this sounds like a testimonial broadcast during Pledge Week!..... )
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 04:35 AM   #35
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I listen to NPR most of the time, though I switch to music (a mix station, usually) if I'm driving for a long time on the open road.
DS9 CapCon #98: Hell to the Chief!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 05:29 AM   #36
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I listen to the radio any time I am in the car. Usually alt rock, classic rock, country, pop, NPR, or a local radio show in the mornings. I have wide ranging tastes. At work I often listen to Pandora.

I had three months free XM radio when I got a new car, and I wasn't very impressed. Of all the available stations, only 2 were of any interest to me, and I didn't even care for those all that much.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 05:39 AM   #37
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Every day. I'm a talk radio junkie and during commercials I listen to a couple of classic rock stations.
Old June 8 2014, 10:07 AM   #38
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Several stations in the Boston area used to run old radio shows like 'The Shadow', 'Sherlock Holmes' and others. They were great late night listening.
That was one reason I was thinking of getting satellite radio. But I found an iPhone app that streams tons of those old shows. I listen to that a lot.

publiusr wrote: View Post
I have to say that I love radio.
Same here--it is really the most visual of media, what with your imagination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Radio_Mystery_Theater
Coincidentally, I used to listen to that in junior high school on the above-mentioned Medieval Knight radio.
Old June 8 2014, 11:06 AM   #39
jazamul
Vice Admiral

I listen to the radio only when I am in my fathers car and he has talk radio on. About 1/2 hour a week.

Everywhere else I carry my ipod.
Old June 8 2014, 11:31 AM   #40
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I listen to BBC Radio 2 on 25 minute commute to and from work.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 06:22 PM   #41
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I'll listen to sports radio in the morning sometimes. Otherwise, I've got my iPod handy.
Old June 8 2014, 08:20 PM   #42
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Several stations in the Boston area used to run old radio shows like 'The Shadow', 'Sherlock Holmes' and others. They were great late night listening.
As a young teen in the 1970s, I listened to those greats, too.
Velocity wrote: View Post
Arbitron?
Oh yeah, it was Arbitron. I talked to the first guy until he wanted everyone in the house to keep journals and mail them back, etc. But they didn't quit calling. It was really annoying. I have a clock/radio that I have had since sometime in the 70's or 80's, but never used the radio part. The clock is one of those that changes the time by flipping little number panels. It still keeps good time and the alarm works so I can't justify buying something more modern.
By law, if you tell Arbitron (or anyone else) to place you on their Do Not Call List, they must do it and stop calling you.

I recommend anyone in the U.S. place their phone numbers on the Do Not Call Registry of the FCC.
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
That was one reason I was thinking of getting satellite radio. But I found an iPhone app that streams tons of those old shows. I listen to that a lot.

publiusr wrote: View Post
I have to say that I love radio.
Same here--it is really the most visual of media, what with your imagination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Radio_Mystery_Theater
Coincidentally, I used to listen to that in junior high school on the above-mentioned Medieval Knight radio.
Please share the app with us. I use Android phones, as well. Perhaps, the app is available for both.
Old June 8 2014, 08:35 PM   #43
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

I switch on the radio when I get up until I leave the house or until I do something at home that requires my attention (on the days I don't have to go to work or university). I only listen to one station which I'm convinced is Germany's most elitist. They play a variety of music (from classical to newly released) and have lots of interesting shows/segments. I always try to catch the news and - due to my schedule - usually also catch culture news, a daily short report about an interesting project or something from the news, a segment that is supposed to be funny but isn't and also a weekly report about various choir groups (a different one each week). It's quite interesting.

As a digital native I sometimes find it amusing that such a dead old medium is a part of my daily routine.
Old June 8 2014, 08:48 PM   #44
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

No! MP3!!!
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 09:26 PM   #45
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Please share the app with us. I use Android phones, as well. Perhaps, the app is available for both.
I hope so. It's called Vintage Radio and their website is here.