Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 5 2014, 07:27 PM   #271
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

It's an old set and I don't have a remote for it, plus it's a tube. I watched it right after a Voyager episode, and the difference in color was noticeable.

It's also a used copy of the film, possibly frorm the September dvd release, there are no behind the scenes features at all.
Old July 5 2014, 09:07 PM   #272
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
It's an old set and I don't have a remote for it, plus it's a tube. I watched it right after a Voyager episode, and the difference in color was noticeable.

It's also a used copy of the film, possibly frorm the September dvd release, there are no behind the scenes features at all.
The Blu-ray color absolutely pops. I wonder if there were issues with the DVD?
Old July 5 2014, 09:58 PM   #273
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

The colours are somewhat muted (it's a style that appears to have taken over Hollywood lately). It could also be the "teal" tinting that is very popular as well.

If someone is watching on an HD display and has the settings set to DYNAMIC or VIVID or whatever the particular setting is called (varies across companies), colours will appear to "pop"--a lot more than if the display is set to MOVIES or CINEMA (or its equivalent). The latter settings do not "pop" as much, but they are far more accurate at reproducing colour. TVs typically are set at factory in the DYNAMIC or equivalent setting.

On a standard CRT TV (depending on its age), the colours can appear even more muted than on a hi-def display at the CINEMA setting, so I'm not surprised at what he saw.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 10:54 PM   #274
Melakon
Vice Admiral

At one point I was thinking art design was all in grays, until I saw skin tones, volcano sites, and the old color scheme uniforms.

Either that, or cataracts.
Old July 7 2014, 03:58 AM   #275
austen_pierce
Captain

Promise I'm not stalking you, BillJ

BillJ wrote: View Post
austen_pierce wrote: View Post

Balance of Terror was certainly badass enough to warrant an expanded treatment, giving fans the submarine warfare element of tension that made TWOK more than just a revenge film.
I think it would be tough to do what was, essentially, a bottle show on the big-screen. It's the same issue I think they would have trying to bring "The Doomsday Machine" to theaters.
Hunt For Red October seemed to have no problem. But while Doomsday and Balance are two of my favorite TOS episodes, I'm hoping for something new out of ST3. I can always go back and watch those episodes on my blu-ray set.

xavier wrote: View Post
that is the way Vulcans are suppose to show emotions. it is not crying ,yelling , screaming khannnnnnnnnn , all that does is makes vulcans look more like a parody of themselves.
Or it makes Vulcans look like they are individuals and that each have different reactions when placed under pressure.

Star Trek has this nasty streak of showing each culture as monolithic entities where most everyone acts the exact same way.
Agreed, very small-universe. Consider Sybock, a Vulcan outcast because he won't toe the line. Had he been among others of similar disposition or part of a movement among Vulcans, I would have felt more richness to the species.

Melakon wrote: View Post

The Blu-ray color absolutely pops. I wonder if there were issues with the DVD?
My STID blu-ray on 60 inch plasma is amazing. Nibiru/Nibiri(?) looks washed out, but this is intentional.
Old July 7 2014, 08:03 PM   #276
Gonzo
Lieutenant

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post

And I've abandoned the ST:XI forum here for the most part though at one time it was my main forum for posting. Because, haters. Just freaking have a hate thread and a love thread and let me hang out in the love thread and not have to read WHY my love is wrong every other post. Might be an exaggeration, haven't been here in a while
It's pretty mild and friendly here now, compared to the wild & woolly days of 2008, 2009, and the first half of 2010. Also a lot quieter, though part of that's down to the retirement of some of the uncontrollably angry people.
They were so very very angry, bordering on righteous indignation.

Was very funny and entertaining to read at the time though, thank god they finally accepted reality.

Only took them 2 years.

P.S Just trying to catch up on this thread.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 03:42 AM   #277
austen_pierce
Captain

Gonzo wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post

And I've abandoned the ST:XI forum here for the most part though at one time it was my main forum for posting. Because, haters. Just freaking have a hate thread and a love thread and let me hang out in the love thread and not have to read WHY my love is wrong every other post. Might be an exaggeration, haven't been here in a while
It's pretty mild and friendly here now, compared to the wild & woolly days of 2008, 2009, and the first half of 2010. Also a lot quieter, though part of that's down to the retirement of some of the uncontrollably angry people.

Was very funny and entertaining to read at the time though, thank god they finally accepted reality.

Only took them 2 years.

Not sure its all peace and calm. Just got though reading something I never thought I would see in writing, over on the Orci thread. But that's best left where it is and nothing further said here.

I haven't been here very long, only since just before STID came out on blu-ray. I stay for the enlightened opinion, some cool ideas, the occasional picture,....

...and occasionally to eat popcorn while the fur flies
Old July 9 2014, 09:01 PM   #278
Gonzo
Lieutenant

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Gonzo wrote: View Post

Only took them 2 years.

Not sure its all peace and calm. Just got though reading something I never thought I would see in writing, over on the Orci thread. But that's best left where it is and nothing further said here.

I haven't been here very long, only since just before STID came out on blu-ray. I stay for the enlightened opinion, some cool ideas, the occasional picture,....

...and occasionally to eat popcorn while the fur flies
A lot more than just fur was flying when the first new Star Trek film was released, entrails, peoples ears and house bricks among others things.

Some individuals really didn't like the new film at all, the really epic thread was the argument over the size of the new enterprise, it lasted well over two years and in the end those who could not accept that the Enterprise was much bigger than the TOS version just spontaneously combusted and were never heard from again.

Was very funny indeed.

It got very technical and many of the more senior members of the forum tried to explain it to them and even provided diagrams and screenshots by the hundred but it just didn't work, just ask King Daniel who provided many of them and Msharak who tried to keep things civil as best he could.

I personally would have been fine if the Enterprise had stayed the same size as the original but was very happy to see it become larger, which provided for larger sets and internal environments instead of the small and relatively poky rooms in the TOS version, yes I did use the term poky in the size thread when describing the TOS Enterprise and no the response was not pleasant to say the least.

When STID was released the whole size issue started up again as the Vengeance was twice the size of the already big new Enterprise, as I am sure you can appreciate certain individuals took it very badly.

It was a gigantic steaming pile of denial which if you had been here would have taken your breath away, it certainly did mine when I first joined.

I love that the new films are a fresh start and that means anything can happen with no limitations to the writers, which was the whole point for the reset.

All the new cast have worked out really well, I also have absolutely no problem with seeing Alice Eve in any state of dress/undress and have no doubt they will make good use of her character in the third film.

They way they have done the first two films means they can now go in any direction they want for the third film adversary wise, Borg, Cardassian, Romulan, Klingon or even Ferengi.

Or even a mixture of the above as the Klingons and Starfleet are vulnerable after their losses in the first new film.

Looking forward to it without reservation.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 09:23 PM   #279
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Good times! *twitch*

(it did wonders for my photoshop skills!)